Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question. Clymer manual says to remove the rear wheel I have to loosen the pinch bolt (did that). The remove the self locking nut on the axle. I tried last night but it didn't want to budge. Do I need to us a impact gun.

Also is it a reverse thread due to the way in which the wheel rotates while being ridden? This ia an old bike so it may be seized. Wheel spins freely right now. Oh the bike is an 83 500c Shadow.

Briandrex

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Briandrex,
No the nut is right hand thread but is probably siezed. Leave the pinch bolt tightened until you get the axle nut loose. Spray some penetrating oil on the axle at the nut, let it sit for a half hour and use a long breaker bar with the proper socket. Impact gun may work but again make sure you use a properly fitting socket. Sometimes they can be really tight and a little corroded so give the oil time to work. Even once the nut is off you may find the axle has corroded where it goes through the spacer and may be very difficult to pull out. Penetrating oil and patience will be your best friend here.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Once you get the "nut" loose...unwind it about half-way. THEN use a 2x4 block to protect the nut and then "hammer" the axle nut to loosen/pound thru. It'll save destroying the nut. Put a little grease on the axle when re-installing.

Bullzeyet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts