Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new to me old 1986 Honda vt1100. It runs real good. I dismantled it and in the process of blasting all my parts and doing body work and paint on her. I'm wanting to lower the back end and put some drag bars on it. I'm also going to straight pipe it and rejet the carbs. Any tips and ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to cut out two loops of the spring to get the back end down. Is this a good idea? Or will that male the ride unbearable? Will the engine be sitting right?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
look for different shocks with original shocks from 86 if you cut a couple loops your going to put stress on those old shock, might be fine for a little while but you will be playing a chance game on blowing them on a big bump

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
85,86 vt1100's were the most powerful years the honda made. jetting, intake and pipes will make for a nice improvement. i agree that cutting the springs is not great idea. do the measurements then the research and you will surely find a better route for lowering the rear end. the only draw back on those early years is the discontinued OEM parts as well as a woeful lack of after market improvements, pipes being one of them. get a honda shop maual and check OEM parts availability on sites like bikebandit.com. but most of all... enjoy your bike and ride safely. cheers

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
I suggest you adjust the shocks to the lowest level. There is not a whole lot of clearance between the tire and rear fender, it might rub.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for replying. That's cool about the 85 and 86. Learn something everyday. I'm going to start looking in for better ways of lowering back end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still have to clean and recondition the leather. I believe it will look pretty good after that. Here's pic after the liposuction and skin reattached.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't wait to get my tanks and front fender and side plates back from the soda blaster. Ready for them. The tanks are pretty banged up so I bought a bucket of bondo. Its gonna be fun. I'll post more pics when I get them in.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.