Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good inexpensive travel bag for the shadow -- I have a long trip coming up and plan on riding instead of flying. I would like the bag to offer a driver backrest. I have seen the bikers best friend and it doesnt look to me like it should cost $250, so that one is not an option.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

SubRoc

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Nelson Rigg Weekender - about $100 100% waterproof - attach to sissy bar set it on the b-seat - instant and comfortable backrest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
Nelson Rigg Weekender - about $100 100% waterproof - attach to sissy bar set it on the b-seat - instant and comfortable backrest.
Hmm.. Looking at your picture, it seems like you've moved back the turn indicators somewhat - how'd you do that? (I'd like to do that, so as to be able to buy some bigger bags)

·
Registered
241 Posts
By all means check out T-Bags. Very good quality, they can be used as a backrest, there's a rain cover, and there's even a model with wheels, so you can take it off the bike and pull it. Others have backpack-style straps for carrying. I love mine! Oh, they also have a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dowco

I have used the Dowco Rally pack and roll as a backrest and it worked well. Just put on the pillion seat and attach it to the backrest. I was stopped at a McDonalds anda guy looking at my bike told his kid that the biker didn't know what he was doing. He took it back once i got on and started to ride off, he jsut hadn't thought about using a pack for a backrest.
billp

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a army issue duffle bag that was issued to me in 1970, it works great and is heavy duty for sure. You can lock it with a pad lock and it will hold a lot of stuff. I usually pack stuff inside individual plastic bags and then put the bags in the duffle. I have crossed the country several times this way and have had no problems. The only thing I don't like about having non lockable hard luggage is fear of theft while stopped at attractions restaraunts etc. I have been lucky so far and not had anything stolen but I worry about it on every trip.
Jeff

·
Registered
236 Posts
jjsagain said:
. The only thing I don't like about having non lockable hard luggage is fear of theft while stopped at attractions restaraunts etc. I have been lucky so far and not had anything stolen but I worry about it on every trip.
Jeff
jj, you ever think of using one of those cable type gun locks to stick the bag to the sissy bar. That thought just came to me as I read your post. It might make it a little more difficult for a theif to take your stufff. Just a thought.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
freedom3503 said:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=9&Category_ID=3&manufacturer_ID=374&product_ID=4948

great bag above.
I'll second that. Been using that bag for almost a year now and it is still holding up real good. I like the way it expands and it's handy dandy rain cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have one of these and am very pleased with it.Very comfortale and supportive on the long rides.I have a luggage rack and after market high CC bar that alows for another bag if needed.On the back support you can custom adjust it to your back by just folding a towel and putting behind it.It also has many compartments to stow stuff,and one large. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Harley&ci=3075

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't have a sissy bar on my bike and am wondering if there are any that can be attached with a bungy cord or net to the passenger seat?

·
Registered
259 Posts
kingham said:
I had some time to look up the link to the lazy riders I previously mentioned. I have on e and love it. It is great because I can ride with it as a back rest when I am alone and switch it around to the luggage rack when my wife rides with me.

http://www.lazyrider.com/lazy_rider_bag_pics.asp
Just ordered the lazy rider--btw, the Aero 750 pilon measures for the 12" bag.
Thanks again to kingham for the link.

·
Registered
327 Posts
LolaRider said:
I don't have a sissy bar on my bike and am wondering if there are any that can be attached with a bungy cord or net to the passenger seat?
The Kury Grandtour that moontroll posted about will work on a bike without a sissybar. Most others won't, at least they're not marketed to be used without. I've had my eye on the Grandtour for a while but haven't been willing to lay out the cash. I can be cheap at times.
I'm currently using a T-bag expandable, it works well but I like the Grandtour more.

BTW, I was talking to a guy on a PGR ride who had one and doesn't use it at all for storage and empty it supports his back, and he weighs in at 420 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts