Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my other helmet apart to clean the lining, and have decided that it's time for a new one, not worth the effort putting the old one back together.
Anyone have recommendations for a good full faced helmet in the $150 and under range?
Has to be full face, I took a stone to the face once, hurt like hell.:crying:

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,111 Posts
I like the AFX which fits me well. Make sure you find a helmet which fits your head shape.

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
950 Posts
Does it have to be full face or is modular OK (still full coverage when down)?

I really like my LS2 Strobe. I tried on several at a local store, ended up finding one on Amazon for $70 ("used", but was brand new).
Regular price they are ~$130-160 depending on size and color.
Amazon Link

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
950 Posts
I had never had a modular before this one (always full face, or at least a full shield), and in future purchases, a modular is high on my list.

They are easier to put on and take off, you can talk to someone easily, when I stop for gas I can leave it on, even going inside the store. You can also actually take a sip of a drink while riding with a modular.
And if your driving slow (like in a parking lot or such) you can move the whole modular section up and it feels like an open face helmet, nice when it is hot out with minimal air flow.
Last riding class I did all the full face guys were complaining how hot it was, but those with modular (or open face) were OK.

One of the biggest drawbacks of a modular is they tend to have more wind noise due to the cracks of the modular part.
Just make sure you get a modular with metal latches (The LS2 Strobe has them). Some cheapen out and use plastic which could break in an accident.

I know I have seen at least 1 modular that the chin bar flips all the way around to the back of the helmet, basically giving you both a full face and open face option.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I love my HJC. Comes with pinlock but not the chin curtain. The liner comes out easily for washing and can be put back just as easily. Mine is DOT and SNELL rated which was something I really was looking for

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
I've had three different Nolan modular helmets. The N100, N102, and now the N104. I'll never go back to a full face helmet again.

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
Watch for bargains. The last one, I purchased new in the box for $200.00 on ebay. A little more than your price range, but what's your noggin worth?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got a Scorpion exo r320, I really like it. The visor is pin lock ready, not bad for about $100. They also had Bell Qualifier for about the same price.

If you can buy local, do it. There's no replacement for properly fitting a helmet.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,469 Posts
GMax for round heads and HJC for oval/elongated heads. Gmax offers Cool Max lining for good breathing. I have both a full face and 3/4 GMax.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If there's a Cycle Gear near you, check out their offerings. I've found some reasonably good helmets there at reasonably good prices.

Ask the salesperson to steer you towards the ones worth having: Some are good and inexpensive, and some are just inexpensive.
Was my Cycle Gear modular as good as my Scorpion Modular...No, but it was a good helmet at a good price. I wore one for years.

Note that unless things have changed, modular helmets are not Snell rated...just DOT. DOT is good enough for me.

(Nowadays I usually wear a 3/4 with a full flip up shield instead of a modular because it's lighter. I have degenerative disc disease so the lightness helps. )

I'd strongly recommend trying before buying. I've never bought a helmet over the net.

One other thing...
Watch out for helmets selling off the shelf at greatly reduced prices. Sometimes they are already 5+ years old (check for the manufacture date under the lining) and have been on that shelf the whole time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my HJC. Comes with pinlock but not the chin curtain. The liner comes out easily for washing and can be put back just as easily. Mine is DOT and SNELL rated which was something I really was looking for
+1 on the HJC. I just bought a HJC for my wife last summer and she loves it. I will be buying one next! Hers is the HJC-C3 model. Between the helmet and visor was like $110. I bought hers off revzilla. Tons of padding and super quiet. Easy to take it all apart for cleaning too!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
599 Posts
Who in JAX (Jacksonville, Fla. for you outsiders) offers the best selection in modular helmets, either LS2 Strobe or Nolan?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Something I learned about helmets is there is no standard size.Each manufacturer has their own sizes. A video,article and a helmet manufacturers size chart;https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-helmets/sizing-and-fit#. I like this one made by Voss 555 made in Australia in black , a modular that I can open up behind a wind shield. They run small it took the biggest size they had to fit me and a medium Bell fits right.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGWWB8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.It comes in white too for that Storm Trooper look.
. .
I hope this helps,Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
599 Posts
...It comes in white too for that Storm Trooper look.
Myself, I prefer wearing a white helmet for added visibility but love the other colors and designs that are offered.

·
Premium Member
1994 VT1100C
950 Posts

Note that unless things have changed, modular helmets are not Snell rated...just DOT. DOT is good enough for me.
There was one modular that was SNELL rated, but no longer made.
The SNELL test is hard for modulars to pass since they test the weakest points of helmets, and on a modular it is the hinge or locking pin. Plus it is really designed for racing applications (although they have a different street and track test).
Helmets with internal sunshields also will not pass SNELL.
I know my LS2 is DOT and ECE rated (ECE is the European rating, a little different than DOT tests, LINK to differences).

Biggest problem with DOT is there is no actual gov't lab for testing, it is left up to independent contractors to do random tests of random helmets, not all will actually be tested, but the thinking is that if manufactures know they may be tested, they will make the correctly.

As mentioned before, more important than which rating the helmet has is that it is a properly fitting helmet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts