Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 spirit 750. It Runs like a champ, but sounds like its redlining at 55mph. (I dont have tachometer, so I cant be sure) I can get up to about 65, but not for very long, it just sounds like it revving way too hard. I used to have a little 100cc enduro that would do about 50 mph, so I find it hard to believe the top speed for a 750 is 60mph. Could this be a jetting issue. The pipes have been changed, they're not the stock pipes, I thought he said he put a new jet kit in it also. Could it be the wrong size jets? Any thoughts or Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I usually have to shift into 2nd gear somewhere near 55mph......maybe that is the problem? :wink:

Unless you have a huge rear sprocket you should easily be able to run it up to near 100mph in 5th - if it gets near redline in any gear the rev limiter will kick in and will keep you from doing any harm to the engine. 6k-6.5k rpm before red-line and the limiter goes to work.

These bike do rev up a bit, they are not all low-end torque like HD's.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Rev limiter in second kicks in around 65 mph. Just to give you a reference. How high can you go in each gear? Are you sure your clutch is solid? If it was jetting you'd probably be running like crap rather than low speed at high RPM. I used to ride a friends vlx which I'm pretty sure it was not rejetted but the bike ran pretty well and had no trouble getting up to speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it should go a lot faster than that. Im in 5th gear, doing 60 mph, It sounds like its going to seize up, or explode. I still have a lot of throttle left, I just dont want to destroy my bike. How many teeth are on a stock rear sprocket?

·
Registered
327 Posts
41 or 42.
Don't worry about blowing the engine, that's what the rev limiter is for. That's one of the reason's there's no tach, once you get to redline the limiter kills the ignition so you can't blow the engine by over-revving. BTW, it only kills the ignition momentarily, once the revs come down everything runs normal, it feels like you've run out of gas until you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low rpm's the thing runs like a dream. Just for reasons unknown to me, top speed is about 65 mph. I couldn't get 65 mph out of second gear, if my life depended on it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow...my wife has 2006 750 Shadow Spirit and I know first hand it'll run 85 MPH pretty easily.

Are you sure it's shifting out of 1st.? That machine should probably do about 20 MPH at an idle in 5th!

John

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is slipping really bad. Have you put in energy conserving oil? How many miles does your clutch have on it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I am absolutely sure its shifting through the gears, If my clutch is slipping, I would be able to feel it, or hear it, wouldn't I? This Bike runs solid. As far as I can feel, nothing is slipping. After learning about the rev limiter, tonight on my way home from work, Im going to open this thing up, and see what I can get out of it. Maybe it just revs higher than I thought it should.

·
Registered
336 Posts
mxpx18274 said:
Yes, I am absolutely sure its shifting through the gears, If my clutch is slipping, I would be able to feel it, or hear it, wouldn't I? This Bike runs solid. As far as I can feel, nothing is slipping. After learning about the rev limiter, tonight on my way home from work, Im going to open this thing up, and see what I can get out of it. Maybe it just revs higher than I thought it should.
The way you know your clutch is slipping is when the rpms are way up there but you can't pick up any speed. It will usually pull OK in the lower gears, but not so well up the higher gears.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the exact same bike, and I certainly can go way past 60 MPH. :evil:

There are times, however, that it takes a little extra effort to get her shifted into 5th. Is it possible that you're still in 4th, and therefore the bike sounds like it's revving high?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 750 is such an understressed engine that there is tons of power to be had with mods. Stock can't be hurt unless ya do something completely stupid. Twist the throttle man, just do it. I've had mine maxed out 5th gear on the limiter in every gear, ya can't hurt it unless ya drive it into a tree. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
High speed

I have an 1100 shadow spirit and anything over 70 mph also feels like my motor is about ready to explode and others have shared the same. I think the shadows are best suited for around town and backroad highways. I have rode the vtx 1800 a couple times on the interstate and they just cruise at 70 and above. Size does matter if you are on the long haul in my opinion. But the shadows are still great bikes. Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, I've got the 600 and consistently run it at 80+ when on the Hway with no problem. Still have enough throttle to get it to 90+ if I want to go around someone. It is buzzy and that takes some getting used to. Was going to go to a 750 but that was about the same as the vlx so I'm staying with it. Just give it some throttle and see how it goes. Seems the Hondas love to run at higher rpm's

·
Registered
50 Posts
I felt the same way w/ my SS750. RPM's to high at 65+ MPH.

I changed out the stock 42 tooth rear sprocket with a 39 and it is a completely different ride. I still have the pull in lower gears, but the RPM's are much better at highway speeds. I'm not even shifting into 5th until I hit 75 now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RE: High RPM on a Shadow?

(Just joined to reply to this...)

For what it's worth, I have a 2004 Shadow Aero 750 with shaft drive and it cruises comfortably at 75mph. I also have a 1985 Honda 250cc "scooter" that can cruise local highways at 65mph on flat ground! (Only power problems are issues when I get it near an interstate requiring faster speeds). If you think your bike is reving too high then I would suggest finding a good technician to have a look-see. This definitely sounds like a "transmission" or gearing issue - or maybe you don't realize (remember) what gear you're in? :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts