Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me like cars and trucks are driving considerably faster than the speed limit and always on my tail. It's probably just my perception but it sure seems that way.

The instruction books and safety suggestions told me if somebody's on my tail I should maintain my speed or slow down and let them pass, blah blah blah. That sounded good to me when I was reading, but when I started riding I realized I didn't have the patience to let someone ride my tail. I can't help but just put a little distance between us in a rapid fashion. Is that typical? I figure it is.

Seems like when I stop at country stores or for gas or wherever I am stopping people seem more friendly than they used to. I find myself talking to total strangers about the weather, riding, their vehicle, my bike or whatever. Why is that?

When I bought the bike about three weeks ago I thought it had just about everything I needed or wanted. But now I find that I'm buying something for it or hear for me off of Amazon or eBay almost every day. I'm worse that teenage girl at the mall. Why is that?

A few weeks ago I used to look at Facebook a couple times a week on my phone, I would glance at the news, and look around at apps or whatever. Now all want to do is read this forum. What's wrong with me?

Still haven't figured out how far I can lean the bike on a curve without falling completely over. So I take curves like an old lady. I still need to figure out the bike's and my limitations, without wiping out of course.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I was and am the same about the forum. It get's worse in the winter when there's less new posts. You're better off letting traffic to pass by you than speed. A motorcyclist is more apt to get pulled over than a trucker. A lot of times it's just the LEO's perception. If you can ride, enjoy. If she's laid away for a winter nap you will have to suffer until the spring posts restart and then shortly after the riding season starts again.

Dingo.

2010 Honda Shadow Phantom- Custom

This one sent from my other 'droid device

·
Registered
123 Posts
It seems to me like cars and trucks are driving considerably faster than the speed limit and always on my tail. It's probably just my perception but it sure seems that way. Yeah, but remember your mirrors "objects are closer than you think" so you may be right! I just watch closely and maintain.

The instruction books and safety suggestions told me if somebody's on my tail I should maintain my speed or slow down and let them pass, blah blah blah. That sounded good to me when I was reading, but when I started riding I realized I didn't have the patience to let someone ride my tail. I can't help but just put a little distance between us in a rapid fashion. Is that typical? I figure it is.

Seems like when I stop at country stores or for gas or wherever I am stopping people seem more friendly than they used to. I find myself talking to total strangers about the weather, riding, their vehicle, my bike or whatever. Why is that? People are more open/talkative today. Back in the 70's, you just got strange looks. :)

When I bought the bike about three weeks ago I thought it had just about everything I needed or wanted. But now I find that I'm buying something for it or hear for me off of Amazon or eBay almost every day. I'm worse that teenage girl at the mall. Why is that? You ever notice how all cruisers look about the same? Even different brands... you can only change geometry so much, then you gotta start adding farkles to make your bike different, make it "you". After 45 years of riding, I still do it. Thank God for ebay & Amazon, sure makes it easier.

A few weeks ago I used to look at Facebook a couple times a week on my phone, I would glance at the news, and look around at apps or whatever. Now all want to do is read this forum. What's wrong with me? Hmmmm. I don't do FB, or apps, or whatever else there is.

Still haven't figured out how far I can lean the bike on a curve without falling completely over. So I take curves like an old lady. I still need to figure out the bike's and my limitations, without wiping out of course. This will come with experience. And there are many more smiles per mile when you aren't wiping out. Happy riding!

. . .

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Greg, you have Shadowitis. Spring will help alleviate the symptoms..

I have found the same thing with people being friendly and wanting to talk. I think secretly they wish they were riding too.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It's terminal, You indeed are infected and there is NO cure, People find them selves drawn to you out of curiosity of your ailment, Some say it makes women find you more irresistible when infected, In your delirious state of mind it drives you to purchase more and more accessories and you will NEVER find that you have enough.... It never ends. If your bike becomes over loaded with stuff you WILL buy another just to for-fill that uncontrollable need to buy more accessories, Others like you will find the need to pull over to help another in need with this same disease and uncontrollably make friends to ride with at the most unexpected places. Sir, Please inform your loved ones you are now a terminal patient of this horrible disease. Now if I could only think of a really good name for it LOL....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my last bike with the determination that I will only buy it to ride and not to trick out like my old one. That lasted about 3 days. Now I follow the blogs when I am not riding and polish, clean, adjust, browse and dream about the next time I get to ride. As far as tailgaters, I let off the throttle, and if traffic isnt too bad, I literally turn around and look at them in their windshield. Not a long stare mind you, but a "Hey a-hole, get off my tail look", if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Are you a winston salem native?,,you can ride off and on all year. WS was my birthplace. Lots of family still there, but mostly in Old Salem (ie God's Acre)

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg, you have Shadowitis. Spring will help alleviate the symptoms..

I have found the same thing with people being friendly and wanting to talk. I think secretly they wish they were riding too.

Good luck
Shadowitis.nice. For years I would hyper-examine peoples' bikes in parking lots and talk to them like they were part of a traveling circus that just arrived in town. I think a lot of people secretly do want to ride but think they can't or don't want it bad enough.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's terminal, You indeed are infected and there is NO cure, People find them selves drawn to you out of curiosity of your ailment, Some say it makes women find you more irresistible when infected, In your delirious state of mind it drives you to purchase more and more accessories and you will NEVER find that you have enough.... It never ends. If your bike becomes over loaded with stuff you WILL buy another just to for-fill that uncontrollable need to buy more accessories, Others like you will find the need to pull over to help another in need with this same disease and uncontrollably make friends to ride with at the most unexpected places. Sir, Please inform your loved ones you are now a terminal patient of this horrible disease. Now if I could only think of a really good name for it LOL....
Man...that's a relief! It won't make sickness go away but misery loves company.

I will break the news to the fam... although they suspect something is wrong with me because of my frequent and/or secret trips to the garage, odd shaped packages arriving daily, my subtle change in clothing, my inability to talk for more than 5 minutes without blurting out something about motorcycles, most of which comes from its forum. The forum is like a carrier for the disease...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my last bike with the determination that I will only buy it to ride and not to trick out like my old one. That lasted about 3 days. Now I follow the blogs when I am not riding and polish, clean, adjust, browse and dream about the next time I get to ride. As far as tailgaters, I let off the throttle, and if traffic isnt too bad, I literally turn around and look at them in their windshield. Not a long stare mind you, but a "Hey a-hole, get off my tail look", if you know what I mean.
So there's no cure it seems....

Ok. I hear ya. Creeping crowding cagers shouldn't cause you to cruise crazy. Better to tell them to back the eff off. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you a winston salem native?,,you can ride off and on all year. WS was my birthplace. Lots of family still there, but mostly in Old Salem (ie God's Acre)
Been in Winston 10 years. Arkansas native, around the Memphis area most of my life. But I think you're right about year-round riding here. It just doesn't get that cold and stay too cold that long around in this area

Well let me know if you ever want to take a ride through Old Salem. I was surprised to find that MAD maps had some short but interesting rides mapped around the Piedmont area. I'm going to do the Piedmont trip first chance I get.

I will give a respectful nod to Gods Acre next time I ride by. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1387286547.508754.jpg

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
"Seems like when I stop at country stores or for gas or wherever I am stopping people seem more friendly than they used to. I find myself talking to total strangers about the weather, riding, their vehicle, my bike or whatever. Why is that?"

That's because they are envious! It also shows that bikers are starting to take on a positive Image instead of the [email protected] biker image that was around a decade or so ago. Years ago people wouldn't even look at a biker for fear that they will get their eyelids beat shut.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Man...that's a relief! It won't make sickness go away but misery loves company.

I will break the news to the fam... although they suspect something is wrong with me because of my frequent and/or secret trips to the garage, odd shaped packages arriving daily, my subtle change in clothing, my inability to talk for more than 5 minutes without blurting out something about motorcycles, most of which comes from its forum. The forum is like a carrier for the disease...

Thanks!

Just don't let 'em see you sitting on the mc in the garage making engine noises and pretending to shift.. That's really embarrassing and often leads to hospitalization.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ok. Good advice. I'm going to slow it down and maintain.

Another thing you can do is weave back and forth in the lane. They usually back off wondering what you are doing. It at least gets their attention.

And I'm on this forum WAY too much....about to go riding!

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thanks!

I am also a noob and I know the feeling! I'm bummed about winter more than ever now that I have a bike. I go to my garage and sit on the bike and stare at her while being depressed that I can't ride now. I'm surprised my girlfriend isn't sick of me talking about motorcycles yet. Now all my magazines are about motorcycles and my internet searches as well. It's a disease I don't mind having. :grin:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
It seems to me like cars and trucks are driving considerably faster than the speed limit and always on my tail. It's probably just my perception but it sure seems that way.

Imagine how those tailgaters feel when some nut on a bike decides to just stop.

Seems like when I stop at country stores or for gas or wherever I am stopping people seem more friendly than they used to. I find myself talking to total strangers about the weather, riding, their vehicle, my bike or whatever. Why is that?

I enjoy every one of those conversations but practically the seasoned citizens

When I bought the bike about three weeks ago I thought it had just about everything I needed or wanted. But now I find that I'm buying something for it or hear for me off of Amazon or eBay almost every day. I'm worse that teenage girl at the mall. Why is that?

Because you want things for your obsession

A few weeks ago I used to look at Facebook a couple times a week on my phone, I would glance at the news, and look around at apps or whatever. Now all want to do is read this forum. What's wrong with me?

I actually spend more time on FB but there is nothing wrong with you like all babys ( you are a newbie after all ) you are curious, you seek to learn to explore

Still haven't figured out how far I can lean the bike on a curve without falling completely over. So I take curves like an old lady. I still need to figure out the bike's and my limitations, without wiping out of course.

I remember when I first started riding there was one particular curve that made me say out loud that I would always ride the speed limit.. ah so young and naive was I

CrazyDave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you checked your speedo accuracy? Mine is off by 5mph, so you may going slower than you think.

I have shadowitus and boateritus in the winter...it's the worst around early March. Try a little incense...and I look at this forum as daily therapy! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you checked your speedo accuracy? Mine is off by 5mph, so you may going slower than you think.

I have shadowitus and boateritus in the winter...it's the worst around early March. Try a little incense...and I look at this forum as daily therapy! :eek:
That's a great idea. I will of that. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts