Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks, another repair to my 88 VLX I wanted to share.

Brakes have been feeing a little spongy lately, so I took off the top cover to bleed the system, and the fluid was very dark, and clearly contaminated. On top of that, the cylinder was just ugly, with the glass eye cloudy and scratched so bad you could not see through it.

Old Master Cylinder inside view:

Old MC outside view:

And the fluid was just nasty:

So I decided not only to just clean the all the fluid out, but to replace the master cylinder as well. A little eBay searching, and I found a local guy selling a completely refurbished unit, bead blasted and looking great. He even agreed to buy my old unit, so this whole transaction will be just over $100.

Outside view of the Refub unit:

Inside view of the refurb unit:

Back view:

The bead blasted surface looks so good, I'm just going to leave it like that, and it looks GREAT on the bike. After install and a good bleeding, I took it for a test spin. What a huge difference. Touching the front brake lever feels like I'm going to endo the bike. I think I could stop the thing with my pinky if I wanted. Now I just need to get rid of the brake squeal and I'll be all set.

I think this will be the last mod for a while, the wallet is starting to complain!

Doc

·
Registered
776 Posts
No doubt it looks great! This guys seems to do good work. Do you know how much you saved over buying brand new? From the looks of it, brand new is what you have now!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No doubt it looks great! This guys seems to do good work. Do you know how much you saved over buying brand new? From the looks of it, brand new is what you have now!

Dealer says a new one is $215 plus tax. I paid $149 for this one, and with the buy back it will be just over $100.

The unit does look brand new - it has a little scratch on the cover, but it is so small you almost don't see it.

This guy will also rebuild your unit for about $120. His name is
BOB'S MOTORCYCLE PARTS RE-CYCLING and you can find his store on eBay.

I saved around $100, so it was totally worth it to me.

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.