Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate sitting on the bike like I'm on the toilet, lol! But I cannot and will not justify spending over $500, $600 or $700 for a set of FC's ... not for this bike. I see ScootMods has an inexpensive set that I hear is very good. Anyone have more experience with them on an ACE? My issue is that I'm 5'7" with a 29/30" inseam. Any thoughts?

Also for giggles, anyone fabricated their own? Pics???

·
Registered
199 Posts
Try Ebay, I picked up a set of used Jardine FCs for $240, they retail at $661

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just purchased the Scootmods kit for $100. I have not installed yet due to the fact its been heat index over 100 degrees here for the past couple weeks. I'm hoping to install tomorrow morning. I will let you know what I think. I think the Scootmod site recommended an inseam of 32" though, so they may not work for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah I couldn't spend $500+ on a set of forwards. I got mine from Scootmods for $100. It's a Spirit tho. I'm assuming the ace and spirits have the same peg positioning.
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I love mine. The Scootmods ones I have are 4". I'm fine with 4 but I couldn't go with any bigger. 3"-4" would both work for me. Maybe see if you can find a 3" kit somewhere.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I couldn't spend $500+ on a set of forwards. I got mine from Scootmods for $100. It's a Spirit tho. I'm assuming the ace and spirits have the same peg positioning.
I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I love mine. The Scootmods ones I have are 4". I'm fine with 4 but I couldn't go with any bigger. 3"-4" would both work for me. Maybe see if you can find a 3" kit somewhere.
I'll have to measure where a comfortable position is for me. I wonder if there's anywhere you can get the overall dimensions of these units? That would help. Their site says,
We do not offer shorter extensions due to the exhaust configuration on the ACE 750. The 8" extension on the ACE is equivalent to a 4-5" extension on the spirit due to the mounting configuration differences on the frame. (Basically 8" isn't as far out as it sounds.) With a 30" inseam you can reach them but they are best suited for riders with at least a 32" inseam.
I had FC's on my previous Shadow 1100, but I have no idea where they were from ... loved'em though! If someone with an ACE can chime in and do some quick measurements for me, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, I'd like some for my 93 VT 1100, but I'm tentative to try any of the scootmods ones in hopes they will fit...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Highway/Cruising pegs <$50. My complaint with the Spirit controls is that they are too far forward. I have a 32" inseam. Only time I ever want to strech out more, is when I'm done shifting anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
"like I'm sitting on the toilet" !! LOL!

I ordered a set from Scootmods that should be here tomorrow too. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In case you've been under a rock or didn't quite understand my last photos, I'm fabricating my own FC's. :twisted: At this point, I've kept it right around $35 (half that of the Scootmods, but understandably they need profit) ... and that's using stainless steel fittings from the local mega expensive ACE Hardware ... Ha! Get it? "ACE"?? So far, so good today ... fitment behind the front exhaust pipe is excellent and foot position/ride height is superb! I am choosing to relocate the horn so as I could angle the foot pegs a bit more for better ergonomics. Pics below are show 75% progress; looking forward to finishing tomorrow (fit, finish, paint, etc). :-D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^^ Thanks RenysShadow! Spent today engineering a bit. Since I pulled the foot assemblies up to accommodate my own riding preference and inseam I had to devise a way to bend both the rear brake and shifter rods, both of which needed to be angled as such. For the rear brake connecting rod I fabricated a simple steel flat and drilled another hole into the stock rod's u-connector. This enabled me to have a bend and keep it from rotating or shifting under braking pressure. I fabricated the same idea for the clutch rod, however needed to cut the stock rod in order to lengthen it. I would have used a single piece of steel rod and threaded the ends, however I came to notice that the factory rod is 'reverse' threaded on one end! I don't have a reverse thread die. So I used a steel threaded rod with two threaded couplers and threaded the cut ends of the factory rod. In order to prevent flexing of the rod during downshifting (in particular), I designed a little loop (top of pic) that bolts to the forward control plate (below loop). I works absolutely perfectly! So after test grinding, deburring and test fitting I primed the flats and painted them semi-gloss black to blend with the frame. When they are thoroughly dry tomorrow night I will re-assemble everything and post the finished results. Mind you, I did this for half the cost of the cheapest units on the market AND was able to bypass their claim, "We do not offer shorter extensions due to the exhaust configuration on the ACE 750". :mrgreen:

My fabricated parts and stainless fittings (minus reusing the 4 stock frame bolts and 2 dowels with cotter pins):

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well after getting mine on from Scootmods, I have to say I am disappointed. The quality is fine and everything bolted right up. But they are too far forward for me. I have a 32" inseam, but The Brothers are riding right up on the gas tank.
I'll try it for a few days and see if I get used to it, but at this point I'm ready to take them back off. Huge Bummer!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been lookin for some FC's for the phantom. Anyone know of some made for another model that might fit with some modification? Also think this will fit my scoot?
Heel Shifter
Honda: Shadow AERO 750
Honda: Shadow Spirit 750 C2

Heel Shifter

Add to cart
Price: $34.95
Free Shipping to 48 States

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Screams business opportunity to me!!!
Yeah, I know ... already have a local guy interested. Thanks, but truthfully though I don't think there's a strong enough market for one model of bike for me to attempt this on my own. It was a lot of trial and error (aka engineering) and it's all hand cut, hand drilled and painted ... no CNC or powder-coating/chroming. There are little imperfections that most people wouldn't have a problem with, but I am a perfectionist and it would have to be perfect for me to consider for others. That being said, it was more than a few hours and to make any reasonable profit I'd have to charge more than the cheapest version already out there. Yes, I am particularly hard on myself. However, for riders with an inseam of under 32" it might be worth it; it was for me. Plus, now I look cool .............. er. ;-) But, I'd also only build them as needed; no shelf stock. I guess what I'm really trying to say is, "we'll see".

[Edit] - Oh and plus I designed these with the Cobra drag pipes on my bike, NOT the stock pipe (which I have). I'll swap the pipes out sometime and see if everything clears. The foot brake lever and rod are real tight in that area.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some pics of last night's final assembly ... as usual, family matters interfered; hopefully tweak and ride tonight, and take some outdoor shots. My garage is a mess - and just look at that floor (previous owners)! :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts