Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to reinstalling my carbs tonight - for the life of me I could not get those things to seat in the rubber elbows. I even used some Rem oil to ease them in, but had to resort to using a chunk of wood and a mallet to get them down enough to tighten the collars. Is this normal? They came off real easy, but granted it’s 40 down here so rubber isn’t flexible as it could be. Is this normal though? I tried to keep the wooden dowel on a thick part of the carb as I smacked the hell out of it. I think I finally got them seated enough though.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,925 Posts
That does sound extreme to me, although I understand the 1100's don't give you a lot of wiggle room.

I have to wonder how soft your boots are as that can make a huge difference.
Ambient temperature could well be working against you, although I don't think 40F is that cold.
They should be somewhat pliable, over time they get hard, turn to a hard plastic like substance that shrinks and eventually will crack and chunks will fall off.
I'm wondering if yours are heading in that direction, new ones from Honda will set you back about $20 a piece. There are cheaper aftermarket ones out there, where $20 will get you a pair delivered to your door, however I prefer the known quantity of the OEM ones despite being aware that they will deteriorate over time, I'm secure in the knowledge that it won't happen suddenly on a ride.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - makes me feel a little better about busting out the mallet on such a intricate engine part... I'm just hoping I got them seated enough to not cause any leaks.

Oh and about the wiggle room, literally there is about 2-3cm between the carb and the cylinder head in some areas. Those things are really, really wedged in there which is going to make removing them again if I need to further adjust a nightmare. I might just look into some replacement boots like you said anyway just to make life easier on myself. Aside from eBay any aftermarket suggestions?

I know Honda is best, but I've had real good luck with aftermarket parts on almost all of my vehicles, even the cheap Chinese manufactured stuff (of course, what I learned being in the manufacturing world is that most of the name brand stuff is made right next to the cheap stuff, they just put a different tag on it) - not saying that Honda OEM is the same hence the cost, but like your other aftermarket high dollar name brands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you - makes me feel a little better about busting out the mallet on such a intricate engine part... I'm just hoping I got them seated enough to not cause any leaks.

Oh and about the wiggle room, literally there is about 2-3cm between the carb and the cylinder head in some areas. Those things are really, really wedged in there which is going to make removing them again if I need to further adjust a nightmare. I might just look into some replacement boots like you said anyway just to make life easier on myself. Aside from eBay any aftermarket suggestions?

I know Honda is best, but I've had real good luck with aftermarket parts on almost all of my vehicles, even the cheap Chinese manufactured stuff (of course, what I learned being in the manufacturing world is that most of the name brand stuff is made right next to the cheap stuff, they just put a different tag on it) - not saying that Honda OEM is the same hence the cost, but like your other aftermarket high dollar name brands.
Not sure if they make anything for the shadow but I’ve heard nothing but good thing from guys run Lectron carburetors. Granted the advantage to them is simply the metering rod doing away with the need to adjust them so much

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
The K&L and TourMax packaged stuff is normally good, cheaper than OEM and I believe has some semblance of Quality Control.
I was recently looking for carb boots for a NT650 and before buying Honda parts I looked at aftermarket ones on Amazon for about half the price with quick delivery and on eBay and AliExpress as low as IIRC 6.50 each with free shipping from China, now even if they were exactly the same as the Honda ones, there is a long shipping time to deal with even without factoring in the current risk of the Corona Virus.

What I get a chuckle from are the people selling used boots on eBay for close to OEM prices, they usually come with the clamps though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes one thing I learned about Honda and their carb clamps is that they must make them out of platinum or something - when I rebuilt an old CB750 and looked at having to replace 4x clamps at $20+ each I decided to pass and re-used the existing ones rusty and all.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally got around to reinstalling my carbs tonight - for the life of me I could not get those things to seat in the rubber elbows. I even used some Rem oil to ease them in, but had to resort to using a chunk of wood and a mallet to get them down enough to tighten the collars. Is this normal? They came off real easy, but granted it’s 40 down here so rubber isn’t flexible as it could be. Is this normal though? I tried to keep the wooden dowel on a thick part of the carb as I smacked the hell out of it. I think I finally got them seated enough though.
I am a newbie to carb cleaning and I’m in the same boat you were, tried to reinstall carb into boot w/o any lucky (and also hit a 2x4 with rubber mallet to try and insert). Then I saw a video from TJ brutal I think who said you should always change the boot if it’s not a little pliable. So ordered some after market boots from Amazon with good reviews. Hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts