Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
The float valves can be a problem source, but usually across the whole range. At least they’re new and clean! You can go and ask for the stock jets back, or just order some. They’re pretty inexpensive. Rejet, test, adjust screws and needle, test, adjust, test... Rejet, test, adjust, test, adjust, test... Repeat. I imagine it gets more touchy the higher up in altitude you go.

The engine is working harder just to breathe, so I imagine removing that filter made a big difference! You’re leaning out the mixture in reference to sea level, but you’re still looking for that stoichiometric balance. There was a really good YouTube video I found once where a guy would mark off the throttle positions with tape, and broke down problems with every one and how to correct them. I haven’t been able to find it again, though.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,982 Posts
Dude! Your plug is lean. Im in Salt Lake. In my 02 1100 spirit I've had the cards out 4 times to get the right mix. Who did you take your bike to? I settled on 178 mains front and rear. New diaphragms. Stock needles no shins. If memory serves 65 pilots all keihen numbers. Wright's has everything you need. Im still a little rich but she hauls ass on the freeway! Anything lower she putters out. Anything higher she bogs. This thing flat out pulls hard all the way to rev limiter. I run V&H classic ll pipes. PM me if you need some help. Matter of fact im installing a Barnett clutch as stock wont hold under power.

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok so I rode 2 exits down the freeway first with the air filter in but with the lid off because my dumb ass forgot to put it back on. It ran perfect like that haha then I remembered and pulled off and put the lid on.

I got a better feel of what's going on. Wot is actually fine. No power loss. It's only about 3/4 up or so, it sort of bogs. If I crank it wide open it's fine. It roared past 95 and would've kept going well past 100 if I let it. Too much traffic though.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,582 Posts
Now it is experiment time, raise the clip on the needles one notch and see what happens that will drop the needle and lean out the mid-range a bit.
Then repeat your run.
Better or worse?

·
Registered
814 Posts
There is a lot going on with this thread.

One thing is you should try to test run the bike with about the same conditions. You can tune a carb and it will be out of tune at a higher temp, lower temp or elevation change.

My bike was tuned in about 90 degrees, 75% humidity and at 22 feet above sea level. If I take my bike and ride it to Salt Lake city in March I know for sure my bike will be out of tune but not badly out of tune.

I would say problem one here, is more air out and not more air in. After that it's going to be some trail and error.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I had my wife ride my bike while I followed behind on my wing to see and smell what came out of the pipes.

Reactions: Kenstone

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well things took a turn for the worst. Maybe I should start a new thread.

My k&n filter came today so I tried to go out for a test run. Bike ran terribly, then died, and I had gas coming from the carbs leaking down the bike. I know the mechanic put in new float valves and seats. The floats shouldn't be a problem. And correct me if I'm wrong but I can't flood the carbs like that just from having too large of jets right?

So do I have a whole new problem here? Fuel pump related maybe? Bike is not rideable anymore and I'm sure swapping the jets isn't going to help this one.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
The jets won't flood the bowls over. There may be some dirt that got into the float valve seat.Drain the bowls and then start it up and when it fills it may push out the dirt.
Was a new fuel pump put on? The factory pumps are only about 2-3 pounds, so if someone put a car pump with 7 pounds it can over pressure the float valves.

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The jets won't flood the bowls over. There may be some dirt that got into the float valve seat.Drain the bowls and then start it up and when it fills it may push out the dirt.
Was a new fuel pump put on? The factory pumps are only about 2-3 pounds, so if someone put a car pump with 7 pounds it can over pressure the float valves.
I'll try draining the bowls and starting it.

It's not a new fuel pump. As far as I know it's original. But I had thick black sludge leak out of the breather tube a while back and so I've been monitoring it for potential problems. Is it possible to pump too much if it's going out?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Even new floats can stick. Give the bowls a couple good raps with something to see if they break loose. Was the sludge from the breather before or after the carb rebuild?

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Even new floats can stick. Give the bowls a couple good raps with something to see if they break loose. Was the sludge from the breather before or after the carb rebuild?
The sludge was months ago.

And I pulled the carbs again and went back so stock everything, except 1 shim on each needle. Thing is, my stock jets are supposed to be 175 and 180, but I went back to that shop to get my needles and jets back and he gave me 175 and 185. It's possible one or more parts came from a different bike. Or that's how I was running it all last year. This guy just had them tossed around his bench, thrown into his toolbox, etc.

Bay 1 where the other guys work on Harley's is connected to the lobby and really nice looking. Bay 3, where Bill the Carb Genius works on metric bikes, is a sh*thole.

Anyways I rode yesterday and didn't experience any lags, jerks, bogging, nothing. It died with 88 miles on the odometer, but I think it just ran down to the reserve. Got gas and it seemed ok after. Must've used up a lot with all the carb draining and pulling, the flooding, the running too rich, and all the idling. Hopefully.

Debating whether or not to order a $29 jet kit from eBay to bump up the pilot, and put the two mains a little closer together. Does anyone think I'll run into trouble with having one main so much larger than the other?

·
Registered
1991 VT600 VLX
101 Posts
Check the plugs after a long good run. They are your feedback.
p.s.yep, going back to stock works 99% of the time. If you still get some decel popping, turn a/f screws 1/2 out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Call Dynojet, their tech guy will tell you what to run at 5000 feet and its different than sea level
I used to tune cars with weber side drafts, kept a box of jets for them to carry on trips
Set it for 5000 feet it runs bad at sea level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds light the mechanic is a arrogant ass, I wonder if he happened to either take the carb(s) off the synchronization bar or adjust something on the synchronization bar making the carbs outta sync which would cause the decal pop and poor performance. The jets should’ve been changed to Dynojet kit specifications, to accommodate for the performance mufflers and loss of air pressure. They made the kit so they would know regardless of the mechanics know how.
First thing I’d do is check the sync of the carbs that’s easy. Then if they are in sync then pull the carb assembly and go through it checking the jets, needle clip position, and
Check the diaphragms for cracks and splits in the rubber DO NOT MESS WITH THE SYNC BAR!!! If you take it back to the shop I’d demand a different mechanic work on it if one is available. Also if you don’t have a sync kit with the gauges and stuff you can make a Old School sync kit with some hose, 2 pop bottles filled half way with some food dyed water and some vacuum tees.
Good luck
WPC

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nah. Synchronization is more fine tuning. If they were grossly out, you would get those effects, but I doubt they’re the cause.

Easy enough to order in a 180 jet. Do your testing stock, checking the plugs, and play around with that, as others have been saying. Everything will click once you find the magical combination...

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Go back to stock man! Im busy for the next week but I can help you. We basically have the same bike.

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Go back to stock man! Im busy for the next week but I can help you. We basically have the same bike.
I went back and forth with a couple setups, but either I messed up the carbs in a way I can't figure out or I have a new problem, or both. Carbs flooded a couple times. Then every time I start it for the first time or after hours of sitting, it died within a couple minutes, then started and ran ok. No matter how it was jetted. Changed a clogged fuel filter and started it and the carbs (or lines??) flooded again and was dripping dirty looking gas down the back of the rear cylinder and sounding like hell. So I shut it off and had it towed to a shop.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,582 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully the shop can sort it out quickly and it won't cost you too much.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mine did something like that, too. Fuel kept getting pumped into the carb until it filled the throat and started flooding into the cylinder, and out the overflow. Stuck float. It happens a lot.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts