Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I'm trying to wire a relay to act as a hidden no start switch (which works) however the relay prevents the current from continuing on it's original circuit. Any ideas how to get the current to continue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you... Sorry I should have clarified the diagram
86 is trigger from hidden switch
85 is the continuation of the circuit (not working)
30 is in from start switch
87 is out to starter motor

Switch is to bypass relay so I don't end up with a bike that won't start

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Thank you... Sorry I should have clarified the diagram
86 is trigger from hidden switch
85 is the continuation of the circuit (not working)
30 is in from start switch
87 is out to starter motor

Switch is to bypass relay so I don't end up with a bike that won't start
Please pardon my age and sometimes I'm slow to grasp concepts, but am I reading this correctly?

You want to bypass your starter motor solenoid and wire a connection from your ignition key switch through another switch and directly to the starter motor terminal?

If this is not what you meant, could you please explain everything in detail for me as to what exactly you would like to do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Several ways to do it. Normally, this relay would have the original circuit power on 30, output on 87 or other way around, 85 and 86 trigger the relay, could power 86 off 30 and disable switch off 85 to ground so wont start when switch is open.

Some other options here: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram10.html scroll down, note must disable ad-blocker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several ways to do it. Normally, this relay would have the original circuit power on 30, output on 87 or other way around, 85 and 86 trigger the relay, could power 86 off 30 and disable switch off 85 to ground so wont start when switch is open.

Some other options here: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram10.html scroll down, note must disable ad-blocker
Thank you... I'll look through those ideas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please pardon my age and sometimes I'm slow to grasp concepts, but am I reading this correctly?

You want to bypass your starter motor solenoid and wire a connection from your ignition key switch through another switch and directly to the starter motor terminal?

If this is not what you meant, could you please explain everything in detail for me as to what exactly you would like to do?
Thank you Chuck... I sent you a DM

·
Registered
12,121 Posts
I am not sure you need that relay and wiring. I had an old Ford truck that would have been easy to hot wire and steal so I put one toggle switch hidden that cut the power to the coil. Or the igniton box power. Simple, no power not run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure you need that relay and wiring. I had an old Ford truck that would have been easy to hot wire and steal so I put one toggle switch hidden that cut the power to the coil. Or the igniton box power. Simple, no power not run.
I was trying to keep it simple by using an existing switch to activate a relay that allows the start button to work... I try the hidden kill switch but tapped the engine cut off switch wire and figured on the highway if that is accidently tripped it would be a bad day.

What about installing a hidden switch to cut off the ignition coils (bl/w wire)

·
Registered
12,121 Posts
That is all you would need. That is the same wire that comes from the kill switch so it would keep the engine from starting for someone that didn't know about the hidden switch.

·
Registered
12,121 Posts
I should say it would keep the engine from firing, but it would still crank the starter. A common thief would give up if the battery started getting low and the engine wouldn't fire up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you... That's all I want. I know I can't outsmart pros or lifting and putting it in a van/truck but I have recently started parking in a garage and "feel" the need to protect against those people.

One more question... If the switch is accidently tripped will the bike stop running if the engine is firing? My fear is riding down the highway and it accidently stop the engine, I don't know what would happen. If this is the case which wire would be best? I ride a 02 ACE.

·
Registered
12,121 Posts
Yes if you hit the switch it would die. But in a covered area hard to touch, a toggle switch should never get shut off.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I would have wired a switch on the wire that goes from the start button to the starter relay. Perhaps, on the starter relay's ground wire. Why is a relay even necessary?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have wired a switch on the wire that goes from the start button to the starter relay. Perhaps, on the starter relay's ground wire. Why is a relay even necessary?
I didn't want a "public" switch, I wanted to use one of the existing switches to enable the start button to work so unless you activate the"right" switch the start button is always off but I can't get the switch to activate after the relay. It's like the relay stops the current from continuing along the circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes if you hit the switch it would die. But in a covered area hard to touch, a toggle switch should never get shut off.
Thank you for your help I'll use a waterproof switch and try to hide it well but I like the idea that the bike "seems" broken so perhaps an amateur will give up

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I didn't want a "public" switch, I wanted to use one of the existing switches to enable the start button to work so unless you activate the"right" switch the start button is always off but I can't get the switch to activate after the relay.

I am not following. If you have Windows, you can doddle out a schematic on the Paint program. Then, right-click the finished graphic. Left-click 'Select all,' then left-click 'Copy.'

Hit 'Paste' on the forum page, and the schematic will appear on the post page. Then hit the 'Post reply' button.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not following. If you have Windows, you can doddle out a schematic on the Paint program. Then, right-click the finished graphic. Left-click 'Select all,' then left-click 'Copy.'

Hit 'Paste' on the forum page, and the schematic will appear on the post page. Then hit the 'Post reply' button.
The schematic at the beginning of this post is the best one I have drawn.

I pulled power from the front brake into 86 which activated the relay and allowed the start switch to work by closing the 30 to 87 side; the issue becomes lighting the brake lamp... It doesn't light. I think the relay is taking power that is needed to illuminate the light. Maybe?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Is this the way you've wired the circuit? Squeezing the brake lever enables the start button circuit.

. I think the relay is taking power that is needed to illuminate the light. Maybe?
Yea, odd indeed. The spliced wire to the relay and the oem wire to the brake light are parallel branches to each other and should be independent of each other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this the way you've wired the circuit? Squeezing the brake lever enables the start button circuit.

View attachment 283778

Yea, odd indeed. The spliced wire to the relay and the oem wire to the brake light are parallel branches to each other and should be independent of each other.
Yes... That is it, except 85 doesn't go directly to ground. I thought it would continue to the bulb of the brake light but it doesn't. The brake wire is green with red.

I know it's odd but I was thinking about a unique hidden start switch and it works but the brake bulb doesn't... So I wanted to ask the experts if it is possible or should I just go with a hidden toggle to kill the ignition coil (thanks swifty2014)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts