Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum but look forward to interacting with all of you. I'm thinking about purchasing another bike (I have two already) from a friend. It is a 2004 1100 Spirit with only 6,000 miles on it. I have one basic question for those of you who own the 1100 Spirit: what are the big maintainence issues? What usually breaks or gives you a hard time? One of my bikes (Vulcan 750) is known for stator and R/R problems. Are there any reliability issues with the 1100 Spirit I should know about to question my friend and/or to make certain I watch as I maintain the bike?

Thanks,

joerides

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Joe,

First off, welcome to the forum. I have an 02 Spirit 1100 that I bought new in Sept 01...and now have 56,400 miles on it. (It would have more...but I got my dream bike.) In those 56,400 miles, I never had a major problem...not even a minor one...that wasn't tire related. If it wasn't for getting my Valk, I would still be putting miles on my Spirit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 94 shadow with 26k miles and the only thing I have done to it was a new battery and rear tire.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a Shadow exactly like the one your are thinking of getting. I bought it used in 2005 with 260 miles on it. I've got over 30,000 on it now and other than a battery, brakes and tires, the only thing I've had to fix is the front fork seals. You shouldn't have any trouble at all.

sanoke

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
05 Spirit bought new June 22nd 06, 12800 miles and had a very rare carb issue. So rare that Honda has never stocked the part in North America so they had to take the part off one in the showroom. Beyond that, I have done a lot of mileage in a short time and it has been a great experience in every respect.

Welcome to the one place you need to know about if you do own a shadow (any bike really) and that this forum. Enjoy and let us know how the new bike goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Oil, filters and Metzler tires. Happy riding.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Joe:
Take a look at sanoke's reply. Take sanoke's mileage and triple it because he is probably the only cruiser rider in North America trying to figure out how to mount a snowplow on his bike.... :lol:

He most likely broke his front seals rock hopping the bike over some mountain in Colorado and his battery possibly died from freezing on a ride on a minus 40 degree day. The only reason he didn't mention tires is that he spends so much time riding on zero traction surfaces they don't have a chance to wear out.

The fact that sanoke's bike runs at all is testimony that most riders should expect between 80,000-120,000 trouble free miles with normal maint.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
joerides said:
I am new to this forum but look forward to interacting with all of you. I'm thinking about purchasing another bike (I have two already) from a friend. It is a 2004 1100 Spirit with only 6,000 miles on it. I have one basic question for those of you who own the 1100 Spirit: what are the big maintainence issues? What usually breaks or gives you a hard time? One of my bikes (Vulcan 750) is known for stator and R/R problems. Are there any reliability issues with the 1100 Spirit I should know about to question my friend and/or to make certain I watch as I maintain the bike?

Thanks,

joerides
It's the most solid ride out there. They can develop some minor valve ticking which is nothing to worry about. Typical oil changes, rear drive lube changes, yearly fork-oil changes. Done. Ride.

·
Registered
921 Posts
fork oil changes

Ya know I had to have the fork seals replaced also. Has anyone drilled out and tapped the place on the bottom of the forks where it appears a drain plug should be but isn't (on a '98 vt1100) to make the fork oil chnges easier?

·
Registered
41 Posts
the best bike, hands down, that i have owned in terms of maintenance free.

oil changes, tires ... and "bling" out your ride with accessories

ride just cuz some smart ******* invented the motorcycle.

i see sanoke's pictures and that guy has it all figured out. i just wish Alberta Canada allowed me to run 12 months of the year. i just make sure the bike is always ready cuz now and then .. god decides its time to ride.

g

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Just curious,

On the folks that had your starter switch go out on them...do you have lightbars on your bikes and did you install relays?

The number one reason for the starter switch to go out is because too much load is placed on it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My starter switch went out and I don't have a lightbar or any other extra load. It was corroded I'm convinced from "loving it too much" (washing it too often) and even though this is AZ where things dry out real quick I paid the price.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do have a lightbar with no relay, just an inline fuse I believe and my switch wasn't melted. I actually got to look at it when they changed it and the tech said it had gotten wet over time. the switch actually "looked" great shape but the contacts prolly were corroded. We didnt take the little white part apart. I had an extended warranty anyway. When I put my ISO grips on a couple years ago i had a tough time getting the housing back together and it prolly leaked in there. I couldnt get it totally clamped shut plus I sprayed cable lube on the throttle cables in there and im sure that prolly didnt help...lol :oops:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have 245 miles now, and have never had a problem. This has been the most dependable bike yet. :D

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
rmw said:
Joe:
Take a look at sanoke's reply. Take sanoke's mileage and triple it because he is probably the only cruiser rider in North America trying to figure out how to mount a snowplow on his bike.... :lol:

He most likely broke his front seals rock hopping the bike over some mountain in Colorado and his battery possibly died from freezing on a ride on a minus 40 degree day. The only reason he didn't mention tires is that he spends so much time riding on zero traction surfaces they don't have a chance to wear out.

The fact that sanoke's bike runs at all is testimony that most riders should expect between 80,000-120,000 trouble free miles with normal maint.
Good one Rick. :lol: I'm on my 3rd set of tires (2nd set of ME880s). I only get about 10-12,000 miles on them because of the dirt roads I ride on. They really seem to take a toll on the tread but they do seem to last a lot longer on the winter roads like the one in my sig pic. :wink:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Great all around bike, nice ride, looks, power (it's not a racehorse but it's not a slug), and the famed reliability. Hydraulic adjusters were more important to me than fuel injection ( especially after seeing my bro's $500 estimate for his 8,000 mile adjustment on his yammy). If the bike fits and you like it, get it. Oh, but remember to search the site about the 3 yellow wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
97 Spirit with 73K miles and I have had to replace:

both fork seals
Alternator
voltage regulator

and otherwise normal maintenance items. Bike has been great all these years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts