Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to relocate the air filter on my 95 shadow ace 1100. looking to remove airbox, and fab alum or stainless tube going outward with a k&n near the center of the right clyinders. anyone ever try this?. also putting aftermarket dragger fenders on.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You'd have to fab the whole thing yourself, just not any aftermarket re-fits for the air box and intake filters on these bikes. The only one out there is cosmetic only, not a functioning air filter.

At least that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on this being nothing aftermarket. I have the ability to bend, tig, roll etc. alum, steel, or stainless. just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Many great minds before you have tried this. Removing or modifying the stock airbox. Net result is the bike will not run right. Many went through multiple jetting changes trying to get it to run. The box is restrictive and creates more of a vacuum across the throat of the carbs which in turns pulls the fuel through the main jets. With a modified (cut open) or removed airbox, the vacuum is gone and so are you main jets!

It wil idle and rap fine, but when you try to crank the throttle on a take off it will be as if it died.

I removed my airbox to make room for the mono-shock and tried to hand dual airboxes on the sides of the motor. I used tubing to go from the frame location back to the front to get the air. Could never get that main 1/4 throttle working.

Finally I decided to pull the carbs and hang the side draft Mikuni on it and have pleasant results. Took it out last weekend when the wife ran to the store for a bit, and managed 20 miles scootin around town. Starts alot easier, pulls alot harder with the more open intake and fully open exhausts, and sounds good!!

Keep all your stock parts unless you are ready to commit to it and see it to the end...

Gonz

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Many great minds before you have tried this. Removing or modifying the stock airbox. Net result is the bike will not run right. Many went through multiple jetting changes trying to get it to run. The box is restrictive and creates more of a vacuum across the throat of the carbs which in turns pulls the fuel through the main jets. With a modified (cut open) or removed airbox, the vacuum is gone and so are you main jets!

It wil idle and rap fine, but when you try to crank the throttle on a take off it will be as if it died.

I removed my airbox to make room for the mono-shock and tried to hang dual air breathers on the sides of the motor. I used tubing to go from the frame location back to the front to get the air. Could never get that main 1/4 throttle working.

Finally I decided to pull the carbs and hang the side draft Mikuni on it and have pleasant results. Took it out last weekend when the wife ran to the store for a bit, and managed 20 miles scootin around town. Starts alot easier, pulls alot harder with the more open intake and fully open exhausts, and sounds good!!

Keep all your stock parts unless you are ready to commit to it and see it to the end...

Gonz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I was considering a mono shock and outward air filters, but we'll save that for another day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts