Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... first saw an old pile of junk of a motorcyle and thought it was the most beautifal thing in the world.

....... you first sat on a bike and didn't think about seat comfort, tire size, or gas mileage

.......you didn't care about brand, or what anyone else thought, just that it could be yours

........the first time you kicked over a bike and felt all that power revving between your legs ( no thinking dirty)

....... how you felt the first time you actually got it rolling, and being out of breath when you stopped.

..... the first time someone looked at you on a bike and you knew they wished it was them

...... how scary and magical just the thought of riding was.

Sorry, as my grandma used to say, I am sitting here waxing nostalgic. I broke out the pics of my first bike I ever bought. Back in 1991 I got some kind on 1980's ( I believe) a suzuki gs650e. The thing was heavy,powerful, and scared the crap outta me. It was replaced by a vulcan 700 after an unfortunate meeting with a cement road divider.

During the vulcans life, I had a ninja ex500 for fun, and later a harley sportster that ran maybe 10 times in the 3 years I had it. Through it all, that vulcan 700 ran like a champ, it blew a seal at 85,000 miles while riding and destroyed the engine when the oil blew out.

the biggest remember.........when it was you who was the newbie.

actually, I dont think the magic has left yet

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
I remember two years of screensavers, websites, pamphlets, books, magazine article, dealer brochures....anything with a motorcycle on it trying to convince the wife that I should have a bike.....to no avail until one night at my mother-in-law's my wife was complaining about my antics when my sister-in-law (who's hubby decided to leave her and the kids) says...."If the worst thing Vic ever does to you is get a motorcycle you're lucky" and she bursts into tears and leaves the room.
The wife relented soon after and now everytime I ride, just before I let the clutch out and roll down the driveway I say a silent thank you to my ex brother-in-law and the little bimbo that inspired him to leave his wife.....:twisted:

·
Registered
259 Posts
vito said:
The wife relented soon after and now everytime I ride, just before I let the clutch out and roll down the driveway I say a silent thank you to my ex brother-in-law and the little bimbo that inspired him to leave his wife.....:twisted:
The scoot mojo works in mysterious ways. :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
vito said:
I remember two years of screensavers, websites, pamphlets, books, magazine article, dealer brochures....anything with a motorcycle on it trying to convince the wife that I should have a bike.....
I can echo that! My story begins a few (ok, a lot of) years earlier. My dad and his brothers have always been riders. As a 10 year old I used to loved motorcycle rides with dad. Dad would pick me up for lunch at school - all the other kids envious of my lunch plans. But then one day I got pulled out of school early. A high schooler pulled out of a 7-11 in heavy traffic forcing the collision of my dad's kaw into her buick. Dad suffered a closed head injury and many days and operations at the hospital. Mom was 1 minute behind my dad, having been stopped by the light. Though she didn't witness the accident, she saw the immediate scene. That pretty much ended any motorcycling dreams I had...

Fast forward 20 years. Motorcycling is in my family's blood. My oldest brother has always had them - even against mom's wishes. The middle brother had one, but since he lives out of state, i'm not sure if mom knew about it. Then, just as Vito did, i spent 2 years compiling data and pictures and pleadings. During that time, my dad decided to get back on the horse after 20 years (almost to the day) and bought himself a Softail. On the way home from picking it up, mom wanted a ride too! Apparently, she's decided to give in to the scoot mojo!

I talked my wife into two dual sports and she now has an endorsement to (she did better on the road test than i did). But, the DS were just not enough and I ended up with the bike of all bikes - the Honda Shadow.

Thank you Scoot Mojo!

·
Registered
688 Posts
First ride

My first "ride" was when I was about 8 years old. My dad and I were hanging out at the gas station (yes, people really do that), I was drinking a pop and eating a greasy Slim Jim. A friend of my dad pulls in on a chopper, my dad plops me on the back and the guy takes off down the highway.... scared me to death.... when we got back home and after I changed my pants my mother asked why I had a silly grin on my face! Funny, she still asks me why I have that silly grin on my face every time i get off my bike. Anyhow, that was about 1967!

The first time I "drove" a bike...... was in 1969! My dad bought a 5 hp Montgomery Wards mini-bike! I couldn't pull the starter cord so dad would start it and I would ride it til it ran out of gas.

I grew up in a very rural setting, all the guys who lived around our little "villiage" had dirt bikes, trikes, and such. I have some old black and white pictures of all of us guys with our rides lined up. We rode all over the place, covered many many miles. We used to take extra gas along in plastic bottles taped on to the rear fender, when we were out in the middle of the woods and the tank would run out we had our "spare" gas to get us home.

Oh man that brings back a lot of good memories.

Some of the neighbors would get so irritated at us buzzin' all over the place that they would call the township cop (only had one), and he would come flyin' out in his big old Plymouth Fury, bubble gum light flashin' siren blaring and chase us.... then we would ride off into the woods and laugh til our gut hurt. He would leave and we would start all over again... one time the cop got so mad he called the State Police and three cruisers showed up! We got scared that time, we rode off into the woods and didn't go home til well after dark... we thought we were all going to jail!

Oh man, when life was so simple!!!!!

The first "motorcycle" type bike was a 100cc AllSport (Hodaka engine), and that was around 1972.
Then it was a 125cc Honda enduro... 1973
Then it was a 150cc Honda enduro.... 1975
Then it was a 175cc Honda enduro... 1976
Then it was a 250 Yamaha enduro... 1985
1993 sold my last bike... financial crunch!
Then it was a 250 Honda Rebel... 2006
And now it is a 750 Honda Spirit.... 2006.......
and next.... well, don't know that chapter yet.... yet......

Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
It must have been 1968, just before my 13th birthday, visiting my cousin in Lawton, OK, and riding around on his Honda Cub. Man, that was cool!

Then, after getting back home, and saving the money for a bike, my dad actually picked one out for me. It was a Honda Sport 50, not the Cub. It looked and sounded more like a real motorcycle, not a scooter! Then, it dawned on me that I had no clue how to work the clutch and shift the darned thing. It must have taken me 30 minutes before I could safely get going without killing the engine. After that, I went everywhere on that little bike.

Fast forward to high school, college, the Air Force, first in North Dakota, then California. No serous thoughts of riding. Then getting married and my wife absolutely vetoing any suggestion of getting a bike......

After another 25 years, she finally relented and for my birthday present in 2005, she withdrew her objection to me getting a bike. That weekend I signed up for the MSF class, and 3 weeks later, I bought my Shadow. I'm still waiting to take the Big Road Trip, but in the meantime, the Shadow has really improved my commute to and from work.

The best part has been the change in the discussions with my co-workers. At first, I got the "my uncle's second cousin had a motorcycle, and he had his leg/arm/head/foot/whatever torn off, man those things are dangerous". Now, I get "I remember having a bike as a kid, man I wish I had one now".

G

·
One does not forget their first bike
their first experiences riding
This was mine
It did not last the whole season because I was a much bigger boy back then so I went up to a 1000cc Sporty before the year was through. All the time I had it though it ran smooth and with it's help I learned teh basics of riding. It was always exciting to head down the road, I would wave to anyone and everyone, screw the brand name politics i was just happy to be alive and on my bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first motorcycle ride was behind my dad on his 61 c.i. Harley with the suicide shift. Growing up the garage was not for cars. It was a bikes only area. We had two Triumph Trophy 500 cc twins and two 61 c.i. Harley baggers in the garage. Loved to hear them fire up and go. My dad raced his Triumph in TT races in the deserts of the south during the 50's. I got my first bike when I took up dirt bike racing. It was a 250 cc Montessa Diablo a spanish production racing bike. The year was 1967 and I was stationed at McChord AFB in Washington. I soon got my first road bike a 305 cc Honda scrambler. Through the years I've owned the Montessa, the 305, a 350 BSA single, a 350 Honda, a 450 Honda, a 750F Honda and now my 98 1100 cc Honda Shadow Aero. My son recently sold his first bike. It was a Kawasaki EX500 sport bike. Tonight after work we're going to look at a 76 Harley Sportster for him. I have not been able to convince him to get a Honda yet. But he's only 26 so I'm sure after he spends a few years working on his Harley instead of riding it he will see the light so to speak. :D

[/img]

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
vito said:
I remember two years of screensavers, websites, pamphlets, books, magazine article, dealer brochures....anything with a motorcycle on it trying to convince the wife that I should have a bike.....to no avail until one night at my mother-in-law's my wife was complaining about my antics when my sister-in-law (who's hubby decided to leave her and the kids) says...."If the worst thing Vic ever does to you is get a motorcycle you're lucky" and she bursts into tears and leaves the room.
I had the bikes before I had the wife. Bikes are just part of the package; the wonderfulness of the chornbe. Nope, I wouldn't give up riding unless *I* wanted to or needed to.

G

·
vbm said:
My first motorcycle ride was behind my dad on his 61 c.i. Harley with the suicide shift. Growing up the garage was not for cars. It was a bikes only area. We had two Triumph Trophy 500 cc twins and two 61 c.i. Harley baggers in the garage. Loved to hear them fire up and go. My dad raced his Triumph in TT races in the deserts of the south during the 50's. I got my first bike when I took up dirt bike racing. It was a 250 cc Montessa Diablo a spanish production racing bike. The year was 1967 and I was stationed at McChord AFB in Washington. I soon got my first road bike a 305 cc Honda scrambler. Through the years I've owned the Montessa, the 305, a 350 BSA single, a 350 Honda, a 450 Honda, a 750F Honda and now my 98 1100 cc Honda Shadow Aero. My son recently sold his first bike. It was a Kawasaki EX500 sport bike. Tonight after work we're going to look at a 76 Harley Sportster for him. I have not been able to convince him to get a Honda yet. But he's only 26 so I'm sure after he spends a few years working on his Harley instead of riding it he will see the light so to speak. :D

[/img]
Don't be so sure, the lure of the dark side is strong and many there be that once commited to the bar and shield never recant, and even those that do are still strongly drawn.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah......I would definetly change the day I wrecked. I cant even claim it was doing something cool.

I was practicing a cruise on a side street at maybe 20mph, a lady opened her door......her damn poodle ran out, I slowed down worried about hitting it.

the thing jumped, hit my gas tank, the bike jarred to the left, went into a lean, I accidently gunned the throttle, bike turned, hit a curb, went into a wheelie, slammed down, went over the handlebars head first into a cement road divider.

now in my defense, it was my third day on the bike, and my first street bike.........theres some magic learning I would like to change

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st ride on a Honda 90 with my Uncle age 5 or 6. First time on my own Suzuki TS125 at 10, had a 73 Honda 350, went to 3 wheelers for a lot of years. Got my 84 Shadow last year. Only thing wife said was wear a helmet & take the MSF course. Knew I keep her for a reason.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
sdbrit68 said:
.....her damn poodle ran out, I slowed down worried about hitting it. the thing jumped, hit my gas tank, the bike jarred to the left, went into a lean, I accidently gunned the throttle, bike turned, hit a curb, went into a wheelie, slammed down, went over the handlebars head first into a cement road divider.

now in my defense..........
Dude....you were hit by a POODLE :shock: .......no defense for that.....a pitbull or mastif....maybe, but not a poodle. Big points for being honest though.....

Please note: I am laughing at the poodle thing not the crash / injury thing :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
....... how you felt the first time you actually got it rolling, and being out of breath when you stopped.
my first ride after convincing my neighbor i had riden before (i never had) was a 86 v65 (wow) :shock: i was in heaven and had to remember keep breathing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.