Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine...

This is my 1972 Yamaha LT2 100. The picture was taken by my Mom in the summer of 1974. I was 16 years old. I had purchase the bike new when I was 14 after working at my family's business after school and during the summers. (I saved up for about a year and paid $500 and something.)

A little history...

My brother and I had strapped the bike unto the bumper of a Jeep Waggoneer and drove nonstop from Baytown, Texas to Lake City, Colorado. The rest of the family flew into Gunnison, then drove over to Lake City.

Back then, my family vacationed in Lake City. The stream behind me is called the Lake Fork of the Gunnison and the structure in the background is an abandoned mining camp. Whitecross Mountain is to my left (picture right) and out of frame. We would wade across the river and fish for rainbow trout in some beaver ponds that were right across from the white cross back then. (The white cross is some exposed white rock -- maybe granite -- that forms an 'X' on the mountainside.)

As you can see, I had done quite a few mods to lighten the bike. I had also rebuilt the top-end with a high compression head and piston race kit, plus installed a 'Wisperin' Smith' expansion chamber. I kept all the parts to go back to street legal status, but I lost interest once I went off to college. My brother kept the bike for a long time afterwards and kept it in good running shape. He was a much better mechanic than I was.

Anyway, that's my first motorcycle...

:)

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,898 Posts

I had one exactly like this one. Many a hard mile by three brothers was put on it. I have told this story on the forum, but I am sharing it again.

I still remember the day my Dad brought it home for my older brother and me. After much arguing about who got to take it out for its inaugural ride, my father, pissed off about listening to his two knucklehead kids bickering, said I got to ride it first, which pissed my older brother off to no end. The bike was pushed up to the fuel tanks - we grew up on a farm - and the gas tank was topped off.

I then climbed aboard and started up the new steed. My father turned around to shut off the tank and to hang up the fill hose. Sneaky, my "helpful" older brother, took this opportunity to implement his plan. While my father's back was turned, sneaky told me to rev the bike up before putting it into gear, or it would stall. So, me being young and dumb, do so, and sneaky then tells me to put it into gear. As soon as the bike is in gear I proceed to do a wheelie with the bike and drop it several feet from my starting point. My brother, who from that point forward I refer to as "the prick," shouted to Dad about how I couldn't control the bike and would end up hurting myself so I shouldn't ride it.

Next thing I know, I'm standing there watching "the prick" ride off. It took several days before I was permitted to ride the thing in spite of the protest by the prick that I would cause irreparable harm to myself and that the prick should be the only one allowed to ride the bike. Ah, good times, good times.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,739 Posts
I bought, repaired, sold a bunch of lawnmowers and then bikes in order to save enough money for what I wanted so the first 10 or so I never really rode but heres the start:
This was a Solex moped 49cc went about 20km/hr and could travel 200 km on a liter of fuel. Bought it for $1. It had been left outside for a few years and motor was seized. Took about 6 months for me to repair
Solex1.jpg

sold the Solex for $50 and bought the next bike for $10
196? Lambretta scooter with a seized engine. This took a long time to repair due to no parts.
lambretta.jpg

Sold the Lambretta for $200 and picked up an actual motorcycle again seized engine. I really liked the Yamaha "Tin jet" because parts were available and it was much easier to work on.
twin jet yamaha.png

By this time I was the "king" of seized engines so bought and sold a Hodaka Wombat, a Sears Allstate, a few more I cant remember and then finally had enough money and old enough for a license so bought MY first bike:

1969 Triumph Daytona.png

·
Registered
827 Posts
Don't have pics of my 1st "real" motorcycle, a 49cc Honda C110, like this one:

Had a mini-bike before this with a 3.5hp Briggs, eventually scrounged a 5hp Tecumseh and stuffed it in there. Built a tall sissy bar and extended the front fork (after it broke going over a jump,,,)

Graduated to the "Big Bikes" after talking my dad into co-signing for a used BSA 650 Lightning.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We had just moved to La Ronge Saskatchewan, I was around 6. We had gone to Saskatoon and my dad surprised me that we were going to look at motorbikes for me! Went to the Honda dealership and found a 1978 Honda 50cc dirtbike. But he wanted to go look at a private deal..1978 Yamaha mx80..yellow/black!! Could not get it started......So went back to buy the Honda.....got back and they had just sold it!!! I was 1 sad kid......decided to go back to the Yamaha and they managed to get it going, plus they threw in another what appeared to be a home made mini bike. The mx 80 was a great bike, we backed onto the forest and it had a zillion trails.....kids dream......was a great bike It looked similar to the attached pick...so maybe it wasnt an MX, but a GT. Lot of great memories on that bike, it sure took a beating, but never let me down!!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
20190913_090352.jpg
My first. 42cc with a 52cc big bore kit. Carbon fiber reeds,high flow air filter, after market pipe, high performance clutch and pretty much anything else I could order at the time. The wheelie bar is home made, yes those are roller blade wheels. The pegs have been move 1 inch up and 1 1/2 inches back because I kept clipping them on the go cart track on hard corners. The front forks were flipped around to which added an inch to my wheel base. I rode this thing all over town for two summers. Got some really strange looks in traffic but the thing did 70 km/h with me on it. Its twitchy as hell and my dad told me that if I could ride that around in traffic he had no worries about me on a full sized bike.

·
Registered
16,994 Posts
Naah, me too, I ain`t got no pics... ;)
In our sophmore year in school, My best Buddy and I went halves on a 350 Bridgestone Scrambler to ride trails around the house...
`Twas 17 miles to town and we could get there by not riding on pavement except to cross a road...
Dirt roads and trails through the Woods, swamps and orange groves were frequented by the 350...
We could ride to each others house and swap out "ownership" whenever we wanted...
He lived on the edge of town, me out in the boonies...
Then upon graduation I bought my first and ONLY NEW Bike, a 1972 Yamaha 250 Trials universal...
(I Forget the model number right off) `Twas Green metalic...
A left turn in front of me wiped it out, I took the "pay off" and bought a '71 CB750 - 4...

Beena riding since 69,
Dennis

Joined ABATE in the early 70`s because I don`t want no legislator who don`t ride pass laws against motorcycling freedom

·
Registered
22 Posts
1971 Highschool graduation gift. Brand new red CB350. Drove it everywhere for 2 years until a VW bug turned left in front of me. Got lucky since that was the time of no helmets and I came out with minor injuries. That ended my biking days until February of this year. Back in the saddle Shadow 750 spirit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a lot of firsts but the first time I rode on two wheels and an engine I was five years old on a mini bike in 1976. I was the baby with two older brothers that my mother told to never let me ride the mini bike alone, well, one day I pestered them enough to let me ride it and sure enough, the throttle got stuck wide open from the moment i twisted it which led me to eventually coming to rest two blocks away after jumping a bush and landing in a yard. I had cuts and scrapes and was crying and my brothers both got ass whippings LOL.

My first "real" bike I got for my sixteenth birthday, my father picked me up from school which was odd because he took me out of school early but when I got to the car(1971 Pontiac Firebird which I eventually bought from him for $3k from working at a carwash) there was a red helmet sitting in the passenger seat :) He found a Yamaha Heritage special 400cc with low miles and in excellent condition that we went to look at. I fell in love with it on the spot because it was a real bike and not a dirt bike or scooter or mini bike which I had a lot of as a kid. He rode it home and I drove the Pontiac, my mother was pissed! in fact it almost caused my folks to get a divorce, for real. My mom eventually softened and a few months later I was riding my bike to school, man I felt like a badass riding up to my high school on a motorcycle(and the girls liked it as well ;) ) so my first real titled street legal bike was a 198? Yamaha Heritage Special 400c at 16 years old.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's mine...

View attachment 290656

This is my 1972 Yamaha LT2 100. The picture was taken by my Mom in the summer of 1974. I was 16 years old. I had purchase the bike new when I was 14 after working at my family's business after school and during the summers. (I saved up for about a year and paid $500 and something.)

A little history...

My brother and I had strapped the bike unto the bumper of a Jeep Waggoneer and drove nonstop from Baytown, Texas to Lake City, Colorado. The rest of the family flew into Gunnison, then drove over to Lake City.

Back then, my family vacationed in Lake City. The stream behind me is called the Lake Fork of the Gunnison and the structure in the background is an abandoned mining camp. Whitecross Mountain is to my left (picture right) and out of frame. We would wade across the river and fish for rainbow trout in some beaver ponds that were right across from the white cross back then. (The white cross is some exposed white rock -- maybe granite -- that forms an 'X' on the mountainside.)

As you can see, I had done quite a few mods to lighten the bike. I had also rebuilt the top-end with a high compression head and piston race kit, plus installed a 'Wisperin' Smith' expansion chamber. I kept all the parts to go back to street legal status, but I lost interest once I went off to college. My brother kept the bike for a long time afterwards and kept it in good running shape. He was a much better mechanic than I was.

Anyway, that's my first motorcycle...

:)
Trail 70

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,500 Posts
I still have my first bike, along with 2 others now. I have been teaching my daughter to ride it. 1993 Yamaha TW200

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first bike was a 78 yamaha 125 enduro. Just like this one. When I was 15 years old. My new step-dad talked my mom into helping me get it. We'd had Go-Karts before that. I was the only one out of four guys that rode motorcycle to high school to have a 2stroke that I had to kick start. Against their Harley wannabe and a stripped down honda. Good Times!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
In 1962, when I was 14, my dad bought me a used 1958 Allstate Highlander 721 made by Cushman ($125). It had a hard tail, centrifugal clutch, one speed chain drive, rear drum brake only and magneto lighting that was no competition for a lightning bug at idle. Passengers got to sit on the gas tank and their feet were at risk. The spinning centrifugal clutch was open and ate passenger shoes. As a 14 year old, I thought that it was the cat's whiskers.
1958 Allstate Cushman.JPG

I was working at a lawnmower shop and mowing 3 yards for spending money when I turned 16. My dad signed for a 1965 Honda 305 SuperHawk ($655) which I still think is a beautiful bike. He asked the salesperson how many cubic inches it was. Dad's measure of power was cubic inches. He rode Indian motorcycles and his Indian Scout was 45 cubic inches. When the salesman told him it was about 18 cubic inches he thought that the performance would be much less than his Scout. Once we got it home, he took it for a ride and when he returned he said "That thing is way too fast for you".
1965 Super Hawk.jpg

When I got out of the Army in 1970 I went to Rick Case Honda. All I could do for the previous two years was read motorcycle magazines and I had my heart set on a red CB450 ($1125) but due to a dock strike on the west coast, the only bike they had in stock was a red 70 CB750.($1425). I never regretted buying that bike.
1970 CB750k1.jpg

I have had lots of bikes since then. Some road bikes like a Yamaha RD400, some two stroke enduro's like the Kawasaki 175 and Suzuki 185 some dirt bikes like a Suzuki TM400 which was a beast. It didn't have the manners, good suspension and broad powerband of the Yamaha 400 dirt bikes. More recently I have had a 600 Shadow and then a 750 Shadow and a few scooters including a Silverwing600.

My only two wheeler now is a ($500) barn find 77 Goldwing GL1000 that I rebuilt and put back on the road for something to do during this coronavirus. I learned that the first generation GL1000's from 75 to 77 were not really cruisers, they were actually the beginning of the superbike era. Gen 1's were 1000 cc's, had bigger carbs, hot cams and 80 horsepower. In 78 Honda revised them with milder cams, smaller carbs, changed the ignition timing, added 200 lbs of tupperware and those look more like what we are used to seeing as Goldwings today.
July 4th.jpg

It's been quite a journey.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Of course, as a kid I was always scrounging up parts and putting together mini-bikes, like most of us. My first 'real' bike didn't happen until 1973. I was 18 and pumping gas for 'U.S. Oil Corp.' It was Summer and I was putting in 69 to 70 hours a week. I never had so much money. A friend pulls in on a 1968 Honda CL175. He's gassing up and mentions that he's thinking about selling the bike. "How much", I ask him....."Oh, with the helmet, three-ten....." I asked him if he had a way to get home......"Yea, I can get home"...."Pull it over there" I tell him, whipping three C-notes out of my pocket.....
I had a camping trip scheduled for the weekend and just snuck the bike into my folks garage on Friday night. When I got back, my father asked me, "Who's bike is that in the garage ?"......"Uh.......Mine dad".......
I lived on that bike for three years !

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Came back from my 2nd overseas deployment. A friend of mine and I had ordered matching H-D '84 WideGlides through the overseas sales program. We were stationed in the Bay area but went to Reno to pick them up so as to avoid paying CA taxes.
We bought those little brain buckets as the military required all to wear helmets, hopped on the bikes and headed east with no particular destination in mind. LOT's of bugs on the Nevada highways. A bunch less by the time we hit Salt Lake City. I found a motorcycle dealership, tossed my helmet into a dumpster and went in and bought me a full face model.
We continued east until we hit Colorado. Went up and down Pikes Peak then pointed the bikes kinda northish.
Went to Glacier National Park in Montana then crossed the border into Canada.
Did some loop up Alberta province then back down through British Columbia. Saw some truly magnificent country.
Crossed the border in Washington, went as far west as we could then followed to coast as much as possible south until we hit San Francisco.

Great way to start life as a motorcycle owner. 9 major overseas deployments later as well as a couple after I retired from the Navy and I made some kind of extended trip after almost each one.
2 wheeled therapy!

Reactions: D's Spirit

·
Registered
827 Posts
This is close to my 1st motorized 2 wheel vehicle. Handlebars are different. Looks like these forks are also bent from jumps/wheelies and ready to break like mine did. I welded (more or less, was still learning) steel rods into the fork legs stuck a couple hardware store coil springs on, cut off the handlebars, stuck the rods up through the triple tree and pinned them. sort-of a suspension,,, Used bicycle high handlebars and u-bolts. made a 5 ft tall sissy bar from electrical conduit I could lean back against. Swapped in the 5hp and used an old round gas tank on top of the frame from an old Clinton motor. Must have been all of 14 or 15,,, Rode that thing all over. But remember just cruising down a back road one day thinking how great this was and decided then I'd be riding as long as I'm able. Sold it to buy plates for my 1st car, then bought the 50cc Honda from my cousin for $30. It was worn out when I got it but ran for most of one season.

New Old Guy With a Bird DUCK

Reactions: D's Spirit

·
Registered
642 Posts
This is close to my 1st motorized 2 wheel vehicle. Handlebars are different. Looks like these forks are also bent from jumps/wheelies and ready to break like mine did. I welded (more or less, was still learning) steel rods into the fork legs stuck a couple hardware store coil springs on, cut off the handlebars, stuck the rods up through the triple tree and pinned them. sort-of a suspension,,, Used bicycle high handlebars and u-bolts. made a 5 ft tall sissy bar from electrical conduit I could lean back against. Swapped in the 5hp and used an old round gas tank on top of the frame from an old Clinton motor. Must have been all of 14 or 15,,, Rode that thing all over. But remember just cruising down a back road one day thinking how great this was and decided then I'd be riding as long as I'm able. Sold it to buy plates for my 1st car, then bought the 50cc Honda from my cousin for $30. It was worn out when I got it but ran for most of one season.

New Old Guy With a Bird DUCK
The hiomemade bike I mentioned above, looked similar to this.....It was fun to scoot around the farm on

1 - 20 of 23 Posts