Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The never ending saga of working on your bike ----------- I removed the bolt at the front of the fuel tank cover to lift it slightly to access the radiator cap and 2/3 of it broke and are left in the hole. Tight area and very thin bolt. Any tried and true methods for removal? Please advise ---------- Thanks. Ride safe.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Unfortunately without pictures the answer is , Nope. But, if there is still enough of the bolt exposed you might be able grab it with vise grips and turn it out.

If that does not work the next best option on that small of a bolt is to cut it flush with a dremel or similar tool then drill it out with a bit close to the size as the diameter of the threads and tap for a new bolt one size lager than the original.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
I have successfully used screw extractors, I bought a set of 4 at Lowes for $20 I think...
Maintenance technician taught me well...
I have several means to :git `er Done"...
As mentioned Vise Grip Pliers works, as well as welding a nut onto the remaining piece, and I`ve even used a torch ;) :(
And drill it out is also mentioned...
Use a smaller bit than the size of the bolt and you MAY save the threads of the nut...

Happy Wrenching HAPPIER RIDING

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Can't get a grip that will turn it. If it was a little longer I'd put a nut on it and call it good but it's a little short and now it's likely damaged after my wrenching on it.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,017 Posts
If all else fails, drill it out and retap the threads.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Just don't break the tap off or the easy out (screw extractor). Once you do that, your are screwed. (Pun intended).

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
They make reverse turn drill bits. You run your drill in reverse to drill and lots of the time this will just back out the screw. You don't need to drill close to the same size as the bolt so you don't run the risk of damaging the threads. You can get these bits at hardware store, big box home improvement stores and sometimes, automotive supply stores. It works and is worth a try.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Yeah, the set of extractors I bought, has a drill on the end opposite the extractor...
Many times the screw comes out just drilling...

More suggestions? Anyone??
Lets get that screw out!!!

Then > Lets RIDE

·
Registered
118 Posts
Buy yourself a Craftman Screw Extractor Set for about $15. I have used it successfully several times to remedy situations like the one you have. Here is the link to the page for the set: Sears.com

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
Those Speed Out bits are very effective. They are small diameter and have their own drill on one end and a fine extractor on the other. They would be a best bet. But if the bolt is rusted and won't come out you can drill a hole in the CENTER and just clean out the main body of the bolt and re tap it. Since it is not a high strength part it will work fine. If it just holds the fuel tank mount it will be good.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Before anything is done, I`d use penetrating oil or equivalent on the broken fastener...
There is a reason it broke in the first place...

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
Good point on the liquid wrench or equivalent. I always get a center punch and tap it gently to get a CENTERED spot, then hit it very hard a few times. This can help vibrate the threads some what and help it to move. If it is cross threaded this may help by moving the tight threads also.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks. Can't get a grip that will turn it. If it was a little longer I'd put a nut on it and call it good but it's a little short and now it's likely damaged after my wrenching on it.
If there is a small stub sticking out, you could get a dremel and a cutoff wheel and cut a small slit in it enough to get a flathead screw driver on it. With the head sheared off there should be very little to no tension on it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
One more thing. Did you get the gas tank off the bike and out of the way?
You don't want sparks around the fuel vapors as you are grinding or cutting with power tools.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
The never ending saga of working on your bike ----------- I removed the bolt at the front of the fuel tank cover to lift it slightly to access the radiator cap and 2/3 of it broke and are left in the hole. Tight area and very thin bolt. Any tried and true methods for removal? Please advise ---------- Thanks. Ride safe.
If it's all 'threads' that are left, you can always file down on opposite sides to get a flat area to get an adjustable wrench on to get out. Otherwise, you might be able to file or cut a notch in the 'broken off' top, and try using a screwdriver on it, if it's not too tight. As another alternative, there are always the 'drill' and 'reverse-thread' with a screw to get something with a better 'grip' on top to get out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good stuff. Fortunately I'm not much for cutting metal so I didn't blow myself up.
I tried putting a nut and a jam nut on it and reefing it off but the nuts would not go on the damaged bolt. I tried a coupler but the same thing - damaged threads- so I popped the damn thing right through the hole. The hole itself was not threaded as I found a small plastic nut at the end of the broken bolt. So, I took an identical bolt and put it up through the hole. I then screwed a nut down onto the frame to create a "post" to go through the tank cover hole/fitting. After putting the cowling on and the post through the hole I used a second nut to fasten it down. Success! Thanks and Ride safe!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.