Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn't know whether to start a new thread or go with an old one, but i'm going to take a chance and do a new one.

87 honda shadow
removed the carbs and boots. in the process of removing the carbs, "killed" the top old boots because they were so badly cracked anyway. was able to get "new" used boots from a fellow member.
per the manual, removed the bowl, clean the needles, float valve, checked filter (ok) and cleaned diaphragm and needle.

boiled the boots, put the carbs back on. went to go crank bike (after reattaching appropriate items). in the process, noticed that both carbs are leaking from their bowls, the left one (throttle body side) more so.

1) any advice on how to get the carbs off? it was a pain to put them on, though boiling the boots helped... and since I can't very well boil them again while on...how to?

2) the leaking did eventually stop, since i ceased trying to crank the bike. any ideas on how to determine what from the bowl was leaking? is the gasket supposed to be a perfect fit when you put it back on? (mine wasn't, 90% fit, still screwed the bowl cover back on thinking it would "slide" into place).

yay for bikes!

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
12 Posts
Is it a dual carb? If so, try to loosen the conection of the two by unscrewing the two screws that hold them together, you then have more free play to wiggle them off and put them back on, but dont seperate them completely or you could send the litltle spring under the synchronization screw flying in the air.

· Registered
47 Posts
I was having issues reinstalling my carbs on my VT750DCB (dual carb)

Taking them off was easier then putting them back on, work each side using a large flat head screw driver. You want to put pressure on the carbs on each side and rock them back and forth, you're not digging with the screw driver. Work them slow and easy and they'll come off.

Installing them, place the boots on the engine first and tighten the bottom clamps. I'm not sure if your boots have it or not, but if they do line up the little notch on the boots with the notch on the intakes.

Using some lube of choice, lube up the inside of the boots using your finger, no needs to spray direct and don't drench them.

Line up the carbs with the booths and press and rock the carbs in slowly, it will help if you start with one side and move to the other. I've also found that using a small piece of woods to apply a downward force helps but be very careful where you press.

· Registered
47 Posts
any ideas on the leak? and how to get the top carb boots off without ruining the boot (how do I get them pliable enough to get off?)

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

Only reason I'd see for them leaking (aside from being cracked) is not seating the carbs well and or having the boots not lined up right. If you must heat them, use a hair dryer.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drain screw not tight
Bowl damaged
O ring misfit/damage
Screws not tight enough ?

if i check all of the above, then, with the carbs off the bike, spray carb cleaner into the carb to fill the bowls, would that be a good test, or is there a better way to do it?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not to ask a dumb question, but once i get new gaskets (assuming I can order them online), how to do fill up the bowls? I see where gas comes in..how to a get gas in them? if the drain screws and their seals are cheap, i might get them as well...

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There should be a drain outlet on each carb. If you (open the drain and) fill up the bowls with gas through those drains it should give you an indication of their integrity. Personally I'd start with new bowl gaskets.

once i remove the carbs, verify everything mentioned in the other quote (o-rings\gasket, tightness of screws, etc), is there a way to fill up the bowls with gas prior to putting them back on, to make sure they don't leak? i'd love to not have to keep putting them on and taking them off, as the upper boots on this year\model are an major pain to get in.

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, I already posted an answer to your question. I do not have any experience with your bike, but (for any carburated machine) you can add gas either through the fuel inlet or through the drain if the carbs are off the bike. I don't know of another way.

not trying to frustrate you, but i'm guessing that i would add it through the fuel inlet (small "nipple" on top of the carb) via a funnel? same thing with the drain? (i am going to pull the carbs and make sure that the o-ring is seated, no cracks in bowls, screws are tight,etc. I will want to make sure they don't leak before i put them back on).

sorry for being dense. my only reason for "going to" the carb cleaner is the convenience of a straw. if gas is the best option, i'll figure out a way to get it in the carb (via funnel i'm thinking).

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,138 Posts
There was just a post on here somewhere about that very subject to check for leaks before you install the carbs, look for it. You could have the floats adjusted wrong also, either way you'll need to pull the carb off.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was just a post on here somewhere about that very subject to check for leaks before you install the carbs, look for it. You could have the floats adjusted wrong also, either way you'll need to pull the carb off.

how do i know if the floats are backwards? i would think they would only go on one way, but if they are on wrong now and causing overflow, then there is a right and wrong way.

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, so i think im making progress. took the carbs off (which is getting easier and easier to, scary enough). opened the right bowl (non throttle body side) up, no cracks or such. gasket\o-ring ok. put everything back in place, squirted b12 in the fuel line nipple and no drips. unscrewed the drain screw, did the same thing, no drips. the left side however, did the same thing...my o-ring looks like this. Auto part Carburetor Revolver

so, it looks like i'm going to need a new one. what's weird, and i think i did it, is that when i cleaned them the first time, the gasket was fine. i'm wondering if in the process of putting it back on i damaged it. i assume they are supposed to fit exactly in the groove on the cover, no extras...

so, with all that being said, is it possible to buy just two o-rings for an 87 honda shadow vt700, or am i forced to shell out 40 for two new carb rebuild kits, which I really can't do (my pennies are screaming at me right now).

advice?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, so i think im making progress. took the carbs off (which is getting easier and easier to, scary enough). opened the right bowl (non throttle body side) up, no cracks or such. gasket\o-ring ok. put everything back in place, squirted b12 in the fuel line nipple and no drips. unscrewed the drain screw, did the same thing, no drips. the left side however, did the same thing...my o-ring looks like this. View attachment 105329

so, it looks like i'm going to need a new one. what's weird, and i think i did it, is that when i cleaned them the first time, the gasket was fine. i'm wondering if in the process of putting it back on i damaged it. i assume they are supposed to fit exactly in the groove on the cover, no extras...

so, with all that being said, is it possible to buy just two o-rings for an 87 honda shadow vt700, or am i forced to shell out 40 for two new carb rebuild kits, which I really can't do (my pennies are screaming at me right now).

advice?

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

john

1987 honda shadow vt 700

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.