Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will upload a pic later. I do not kno how to remove the clutch basket, I think it is like a spider nut? but bigger.. do I have to empty the clutch save?

Any help:-( would be great... it does not look like thr hayes manual

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

this is what it looks like. how do i get it off the bike? and how do i open it to change the plates

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the pics from my bike.

I'm going down to Broward Motor Sports in PalmBeach to get a copy of the clutch removal from the OEM book. I was planning to do this next week, but as things would go... It looks like it be this week.

TO bad I do not know how to get it off.:-(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I can't see the first picture you posted ... but I'd recommend getting the manual. It tells you exactly how to remove it.

Basically, first step is to remove the metal split ring washer things from the clutch. You can see them in the picture on the clutch with the holes on each end. In my case, I was thinking "yay, I finally have a real use for those stupid split ring washer pliers I bought years ago". Once you take those off, some of the clutch will slide out easily. Under that though, is a big nasty clutch nut. You'll need a special tool for that. Do a search on this site for "clutch nut removal tool" and you should find answers.

So I watched the video ... is the only reason you're taking the clutch out to try and fish out the part of that compression plug you were using where your diptstick goes? I'm assuming you tried a skinny extendable magnet first? If you are really just trying to fish that part out ... I think you'd have much easier time just removing the RHS crankcase cover than removing the clutch. RHS cover is just standard bolts and you'll probably need a new gasket. Much easier to remove the RHS crankcase than hunt for a clutch nut removal tool, procure it, then remove the clutch. Especially if all you are doing is looking for a peice of debris down in the engine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would guess that the snap ring around that nipple looking deal is your golden ticket. Remove that and everything should come out nicely.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
At the top of the first picture is a thin dark ring. it has a round hole each end and if you push the holes together the ring will drop out quite easily.. That will expose a large nut that needs undoing, the easy way is to use a good quality electric impact driver the very hard way is to use a socket wrench with a tommy bar, all that does is to round the edges of the nut..a hammer and chisel just cuts it to pieces..

John.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would guess that the snap ring around that nipple looking deal is your golden ticket. Remove that and everything should come out nicely.
It's actually the biggest one. The small one around the nipple only releases the nipple.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Oh ... and this is what the removal tool looks like. If you've got a super-thin walled socket that fits it, you're the luckiest man alive. Otherwise, you gotta use this odd thing.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
That tool costs an arm and a leg from Honda but you will probably find a man making them and selling them on ebay for not much money.. make sure you get the right one, they come in different shapes and sizes and Honda changed the shape of the clutch nut on later models.

John.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To take out the ENTIRE clutch basket, you need to remove the right crankcase cover.

Removing the snap rings will only give access to the clutch disks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks that is what I need.

Oh ... and this is what the removal tool looks like. If you've got a super-thin walled socket that fits it, you're the luckiest man alive. Otherwise, you gotta use this odd thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts