Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone....heres the deal. I removed the baffles from my jardine tailpipes on my VT700. Now no matter how much i adjust the A/F mixture on my front cylinder it still pops when I decel. I have the rear at 3 turns out. I have the front 7 turns out and its sketchy. still pops but not as bad as it did. What do ya think? Let me know am I going to kill my engine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well 3 turns out on one cylinder and seven????? on the other seems way out of whack. I didn't think you could even back them out that far without them falling out. They "should" be close to the same settings. You may have to rejet with no baffles in your pipes.

On a side note, I have those pipes on my 83 750VT and have drilled a few holes in the back plate to get a little more sound and my A/F are 3.5 turns out for both cylinders. I was considering removing the baffles as well but thought I might pick up some bigger jets first.

So how do you like the sound with the baffles removed? Is it obnoxiously loud at highway speed? sound good in idle? Are you happy with the results?

I would check your plugs to see their condition, you may be too lean with stock(assuming) jets and opened pipes. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the sound both at highway and at idle. I think that you are right though I think i might need to rejet it. It runs good all the time its just when I let off the throttle when Im riding it pops bad. as long as you are giving it gas it does fine..and even when you pull in the clutch.. So what do ya think rejet time?

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Sounds like there may be something wrong with the thread on your front screw.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey, just thought I'd bump this for ya and ask if you ever made any progress with your tuning. Also, how bad were the baffles to remove from the jardines? Did you need an extension to the hole saw? Ever check the condition of your plugs for a sign of running lean? Good luck :!::!::!:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the baffles were **** to get out. first i took the tips off. then i ground off the rivits. next i put a steel pipe in the exaust pipe end and beat out the baffles. Jardines( at least mine did) have a 3 step baffle system with 3 diffrent plates. If you have any questions then let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.