Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering removing the baffles from my Aero 750 but I am worried because I have read some stuff saying that it may not have a deep enough sound without doing extra mods or replacing the pipes. I am just looking to get a deeper (and maybe a little louder) sound for right now. I really have 3 questions:

1. Should I do it? I can't afford to replace the exhaust right now if I don't like it though.

2. Does it affect performance?

3. Are there any other mod options for what I am looking for?

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you do a search on "Holesaw" you will find a heap on info about this. I've done it, as many have, and you will get a varied answers to how they like it.
I like mine and find it's deep and loud enough to not want aftermarket pipes, but that's just my opinion..!!!
I love the sound as it give the true V-Twin sound as you accelerate, but when cruising at any constant speed it is quiet enough that it won't give you a headache riding...

1. Should I do it? I can't afford to replace the exhaust right now if I don't like it though.

This is why I originally used a 1-3/4" holesaw as it left a lip at the rear of the muffler so it I wanted for any reason to re-install the baffles I could.

2. Does it affect performance?

Mine is EFI so if anything I picked up some performance especially in the mid range, but US models are have carby's, but this mod will not have have to alter you jetting...

3. Are there any other mod options for what I am looking for?

You can also block the cross-over tube as this will give a more off beat to the sound of the exhaust...
Other than that the only other option is to go to aftermarket pipes if you don't think it's loud or deep enough.

I also believe that because of the different muffler design from the 2007 models and up give a slightly different sound when this mod is done compared to the earlier models...

But here is what mine sounds like just minutes after I did the holesaw mod with a cold engine... CLICK LINK HERE...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I saw something in another post that mentioned simply widening the small hole that is at the inside end of the baffle to allow a little more sound to escape. Would that give it a little more sound?

·
Registered
777 Posts
(OK This is part of a copy of what I have already posted in a couple of other thread about the holesaw mod)

This is a mod I did when I first got my bike and wanted to keep it looking std. It did give a way better sound than stock...
#1. Keeping the original look, you can just drill the end cap of the 1" pipe (Img #1) with a 15/16" drill (or use a small holesaw if you can't find a drill that large) or maybe use a 1/2" drill and drill a few holes into the resonator end cap.
I went one step further and drilled a 1/2" hole into the rear baffle, sounded very nice...

Also If you want to go a little further the get a more distinct sound, you can also block of or restrict the cross over tube...

Safety Hint: Also make sure it's in 1st gear and chock the wheels to stop it rolling forward as when your drilling it is possible to push the bike of the stand.

It kept the original look of the pipes, but louder sounding more like a V-Twin but not over the top...

Img #1

#2. Or do the full holesaw mod (which I eventually did) which removes the resonator. But I would suggest that you use a 1-3/4" holes saw as this will leave a narrow piece of metal around the circumference of the muffler (Img #2),
so if you at any stage wanted to replace the resonators or for what ever reason, you can as you still have a metal ring to weld them back into place...
Also If you want to go a little further the get a more distinct sound, you can also block of or restrict the cross over tube...
Hint: Before drilling with the holesaw, knock a piece of wood into the 1" pipe, drill a small hole into the centre of the wood as a guide and then when you use the holesaw, it will centralize the cut in the muffler leaving an equal piece of metal around the end of the muffler

I did this after having the first mod for about 6 months and it was louder, but again, not over the top...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.