Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I know this is probably listed somewhere else (forgive me, I'm new), but is there a product that easily removes chain lube from the rear tire of my 05 Spirit? To folow up on that, What is the best way to apply chain lube. The stuff I have is for chains with o-rings and it is a spray can. I end up cleaning the wheel, but then re-apply chain lube and it gets all over the place again. Can I spray it on a rag then wipe the chain with the rag? It's a vicious circle! :x

·
Registered
302 Posts
I found a little mineral spirits on a rag worked fine to clean excess lube off the tire. Don't saturate the rag or the tire, and wipe it dry with another rag. Don't get it on the tread area of the tire at all. I used to jack up my VLX and put a big piece of cardboard behind the chain so the overspray wouldn't get on the tire or the floor. Let the lube dry for 1/2 hour or more and it won't throw off. I used Chain Wax for years but I think it ate up my O-rings and it was sticky.

Best chain lube I ever used was DuPont Chain Saver with Teflon. You can get it on Amazon or even cheaper at Wal Marts that have a cycle dept in their auto area. The more you use it the cleaner the chain stays. The solvent flashes off fast and the residue with teflon is dry. It doesn't attract dust or grit. Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can also use windex. It cuts the grease really well. The trick is to clean it really well one time, then use the Chain Saver lube. My rear wheel stays clean as a whistle now.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I find best luck lubing the chain after a ride. Put it in the garage, jack it up so I can spin the rear wheel and spray the lower part of the chain. Put newspapers on the floor to get the overspray. BTW, spray the lube on the sides of the chain. That is where the wear occurs. If you spray both sides some will get to the pins too. Then I let the bike sit overnight letting the lube soak in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's for all of the great ideas guys! I'm gonna clean up the wheel tonight. One more question, the Dupont Teflon stuff you talked about.... the guy at my repair sho[ told me I had to use something with graphite in it for the type of chain I have (something to do woth the O-rings). Would I still be able to use the Teflon stuff?

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
When I lube my chain with 90W oil, I wipe off excess with a rag...
I`m not the "Worry about Clean" kinda guy, so I clean the rear wheel when I wash the Bike...
But to answer the question, "Is there a product to easily remove chain lube from the rear tire/wheel?"
Mineral Spirits works well...
To follow up on that, I apply oil from the bottle onto the chain through the smallest cutline on the nozzle/cap, then wips off excess with a rag I use fer this everytime...
Yes, I`ll carry a bottle of oil and the rag with me to Sturgis and lube as I always do...
On each night, when I stop, while the chain is warm, I`ll apply oil, wipe off excess, and let it sit until morning...

EDIT:
The chain manufacturer suggests 90W oil as Lube...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Joe, the DuPont product is labeled as safe for O-rings.

Thank's for all of the great ideas guys! I'm gonna clean up the wheel tonight. One more question, the Dupont Teflon stuff you talked about.... the guy at my repair sho[ told me I had to use something with graphite in it for the type of chain I have (something to do woth the O-rings). Would I still be able to use the Teflon stuff?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. Yeah i think a large part of my problem is that the lube is in a spray can. Unless you have the composure of a proffessional mercenary, there is no way you wont miss with it. A bottle of 90W would be easier. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts