Honda Shadow Forums banner

Removing fuse box from 1985 shadow vt500

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kris Carr 
#1 ·
Hey Forum,

I recently started a project 1985 vt500, i'm planning to restore it and after that I will most likely start chopping away at it. Thing is, the fuse box itself on this bike is this ugly looking box right in the middle of the handlebars.

I was wondering if it would be possible to remove that fusebox and consolidate most if not all of the wiring. My full idea of this bike is to remove the headlight, gauges and fusebox all together while adding in a small lightbar as a headlight, and an all in one digital tach.

Also, i wanted to know if anyone knows if changing out the handlebars will affect my cable lengths, and if I get a bar that has similar rise and height, will i have to replace the cables and master cylinder anyways?

If my dreams here are out of the realm of possibility, tell me so. If not, and if anyone has any experience with anything i've mentioned above please let me know, id love to hear all ideas.

Thanks

#2 ·
You want to use a lightbar as a headlight? I don't think so. Auxiliary lights don't project that much light. Even if their total output ..... 35w plus 35w ...... adds up to 70 watts.

Also, is it possible to post the cable length question in a separate thread?

#4 ·
I have a 500. I relocated most of the wiring from the front to under the tank but I left the fuse panel where it was and took the cover off, leaving the fuses exposed and visible. I thought about putting the fuse box under the tank as well but decided that I like the way it looks there. I use a gps speedo app on my phone when riding and have a headlight from a 60's yamaha that looks great on there Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Headlamp

#5 ·
Also I did swap out my bars and didnt have any issue with cable length but the bars I put on were very close to the original bars. I just swapped them because mine got bent when I crashed. I used the bars from a 79 Kawasaki 400 LTD just because I had them laying around. Im also running a brake master cylinder from a 79 susuki GS1000 and the clutch lever from a 2004 shadow ace 750.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.