Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, well you know how they say "it's right there in front of your nose"...well i have been trying to find a link to show me how to remove the stock baffels off my 02 spirit 750.

is there anyway someone can give me a link or tell me , is there a way to do a search?

i just can't seem to find it on here. :oops:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You can drill the back of each muffler with a hole saw to remove the baffles. I think most use 2-1/4 holesaw to cut them out. I used a 2" to leave a small lip around the edge for a little back preasure and I can always tack-weld the baffles back in if I need to.
I tried a couple after market systems on my 1100 and they were way too loud for my tastes, so I removed my baffles from the stock system instead and it's sounds alot better. It has a low rumble at idle and a low rumble while riding.
>In my opinion<
I've found that cobra pipes sound loud and raspy (sharp wrap to them)
-Jardine Cruisers are loud, but sound a little deeper. And the Vance & Hines slip-ons aren't much better. Everyone has their own opinion an how their exhaust should sound, so your on your own with when it comes to sound levels here. >PD<

·
Registered
949 Posts
^ what he said

I cut the resonators out of my Sabre's pipes with a 2-1/8 holesaw.

Save them somewhere 'cause you can replace them if you want and secure them with JB Weld.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Do you think JB Weld would hold them in? I guess I don't use the stuff much (haven't had the need to) I guess I didn't realize it actually holds that good. I have some in the shop, so maybe I'll have to do some experimenting and see how it holds up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was curious about this too. So its really that easy? Just cut them out from the back? Is there anything that is holding them in other than the metal around the exhaust tip? ALSO, do you need to do anything like re-jet after cutting the baffles out or just cut them out and listen to it pur?

GhostShadow2002 said:
hi everyone, well you know how they say "it's right there in front of your nose"...well i have been trying to find a link to show me how to remove the stock baffels off my 02 spirit 750.

is there anyway someone can give me a link or tell me , is there a way to do a search?

i just can't seem to find it on here. :oops:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Nothing else holding them 'cept they are pressed into a slotted ring. You must use a large pair of pliers (channel locks work well) to pull them out.

No need to re-jet...most times.

JB Weld, the original mix it your self tubes, can withstand higher temperatures than you are likely to see in a muffler 500ish degrees F

·
Registered
336 Posts
JB Weld will hold them if you decide to put them back in. I cut mine out, used JB Weld to put them back in, and then cut them out again. I guess I'm just fickle!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow - since it seems like this is one of the most popular topics around, I will ask a question about it too.

- In this discussion it seems like you are only mentioning removing the rear baffles. Will this do much for sound/performance without at least drilling holes in the front baffles (12 inches or so forward)?

AND

If you drill the holes in the forward baffle do you have to complete the rejet?

·
Registered
303 Posts
2006 Spirit 750.
I removed the rear baffles, using a 2 1/8 hole saw.
I used a standard house grounding rod (3/4") I think, to punch thru the front baffles.
I was told not to go any farther with the stock exhaust system, for two reasons.
1- A rejet would then be needed
2- The sound would suck.
A lot of members with more knowledge will ignore this post, because it comes up so often. Try using search on this site, it is a little tricky at first, but topics like this will keep you reading for days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I did it today and you all were right about it sounding good. It took me longer than expected because the drills battery kept crapping out but they are finally out. I went for a small ride and it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you go to SA750.com On the left hand side click on modifications and then exhaust it gives an extensive overview of how to do this. I followed the steps and what a difference it makes. Remember this is for a Honda Shadow so I am not sure if it will work for all bikes but at least it will give you an idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone know of a sound clip of an SS750 that has cut out the stock baffles?

This sounds like an awesome result....just a little tentative to tack a saw to my bike :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.