Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered my Honda shop/service manual from Helm yesterday. If I would have had it when hooking up my Kury relay and wiring harness for the Cobra light bar, I'd probably would have saved some time vs the Haynes I downloaded. For $39.95 + $6 shipping it's a worthwhile investment. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
A service manual will save you a fortune.. It's never a bad investment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haynes leaves a lot out. Any vehicle you are planning to keep long term look on EBay for the factory service manual. Worth every penny and if you shop around can be bought reasonably.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haynes leaves a lot out. Any vehicle you are planning to keep long term look on EBay for the factory service manual. Worth every penny and if you shop around can be bought reasonably.
I don't screw around with E-Bay, all of my factory shop/service manuals have been purchased directly from Helm unless the publications are no longer available then you're going to be buying used with a dried out binding at an inflated price. My opinion from experience. ;)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
Honda OEM! Cost more but the best.
They are the manuals that the dealership mechanics use. If pinching pennies running a highly-seasonal (at least around here) business doesn't extend to buying cut-rate service manuals then why should I risk my life on a second-rate manual?

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,244 Posts
Which are the manuals that the dealership/mechanics use. If pinching pennies running a highly-seasonal (at least around here) business doesn't extend to buying cut-rate service manuals then why should I risk my life on a second-rate manual?
Yep!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are the manuals that the dealership mechanics use. If pinching pennies running a highly-seasonal (at least around here) business doesn't extend to buying cut-rate service manuals then why should I risk my life on a second-rate manual?
That's why I made the thread Adlowe, to alert our newer members to invest in a factory manual vs the Haynes and Clymers. The Helm OEM factory manuals are bike and year specific compared to the generalistic over the counter manuals. Thanks for your support. ;)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
Every factory service manual I have bought on EBay have been near pristine at half or less what Helm wanted. Why pay double or more.
If you can get the right one for your bike -- and it's an original rather than a bound photocopy -- then that's a reasonable choice. The big concern, as it always is with eBay, is what you're really getting. Worn, torn and missing pages? Probably not worth half or less.

The issue with the photocopies? The fold-out wiring diagram that comes in the back of the genuine manuals might not be there. Or it might be copied onto two separate pages then bound -- so you can't line them up without taking the whole thing apart. Need to go through the wiring diagram just one time and you'll regret buying second-rate.

There's just some money that is NOT worth saving.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every factory service manual I have bought on EBay have been near pristine at half or less what Helm wanted. Why pay double or more.
Been there....done that. After 42 yrs of experience of owning and repairing my cars, trucks and motorcycles, I'm not going to waste my time saving several $'s on a near pristine or quality used paper edition. I've learned my lessons and will invest in a new factory issue if they are available. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.