Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an extra low-tone Magnum Blaster horn still in it's original MFR package so I replaced the oem horn w/ it. Definitely sounds better than the stock "Meep" horn sound! LOL

But, to get the full effect and noticeable sound, I want to also install the high-tone Magnum Blaster next to it. Not being that familiar w/ the wiring on motorcycles, what all do I need to do to get a set of Mangum Blaster horns to work well on a Shadow?

Extra set of wires back to the block since Shadows only have 1 horn stock. But, what about a relay? I'm just not that familiar with wiring in general and what needs to be done.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
843 Posts
You should use a relay. The relay allows your horns to get full 12v power directly from your battery, but it is triggered by a lower power source. Think of it like a light switch.

You can reinstall your original OEM horn and use its lead as the trigger to the relay, which then powers your dual Magnums. The dissonance between the OEM and Magnums will also increase the effectiveness of your horn.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What he said plus a caveat. Some are tempted to dodge placing a relay. Most aftermarket horns draw around 10 amps and riders are known to just wire a pair of horns to their bike using the existing wiring. You can probably do this and get away with it for a while. Your horn button, fuse and OEM horn wires, however, are not rated for higher current and you risk frying something from heat or arcing. Picking up battery power and using an inline fuse with the relay will keep your system happy.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have the two magnum/freeblaster hi note and low note, been using them for over 5 yrs, I just wired one where the OEM horn was and the other up under the tank (same side) and spliced these wires into the OEM wires, I have had no problems, course I don't use a horn very much or for very long at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.