Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just put in a new stator and I'm still not getting enough voltage. At idle it's a little over 13 volts and when revved up, the voltage DROPS to ~12.5 volts. I don't have any loads other than stock lights. The fan isn't even on. I do think the battery is going bad and i have a new one on order, but I disconnected the bike's battery and actually hooked my car battery up, which I know is good, and the results were the same.

I guess the next step might be the regulator, but i was under the impression that when they fail it's either open or closed...no volts or very high volts. Should I spend $150 to get a new one anyway? What else should I check?

Thanks.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikemilburn said:
You did check the stator by disconnecting the r/r and checking for 70 VAC around 2-3K RPM between any 2 of the 3 stator wires?
If I had to guess I'd say it was the r/r unless you got a bum stator but don't rule out the battery yet but.....Mike
No I haven't checked the volts directly from the stator windings, but I will, thanks.

And I assume that by "r/r" you mean regulator/rectifier?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.