Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an 87 VT1100C

Awhile back I was posting about how my tranny blew up on me. Shortly after I was moving and getting married so motorcycle work was delayed.

I am gearing back up to either tear the engine apart to inspect or just replace the engine altogether. I am just weighing pros/cons of either side.

If I can find a decent engine for the right price that is my best option. I have found a '93 engine off ebay that I think might fit the bill. To get price lower I would like the seller to keep parts I don't need. (Left and right crankcase covers, cosmetic fins, starter motor+gears, starter gear cover, clutch slave cylinder, etc...) I know any 1100C motor with the right PN (SC18E-XX...) would bolt directly to the bike. But, are the cosmetic bits the same? Can I just use my 87 crank covers and everything else on top of this crank case?

Here is the ebay link: 1993 motor. There is a video of the engine running. Would you guys be willing to take a listen and see if anything sounds off? I am terrible at discerning different sounds.

Please let me know asap as I want to jump on this deal! :D

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Im no expert on the 1100s, but I would think the 1st gen frames and 2nd gen frames are indeed different.
With that said I dont think a 93 1100 will fit in a 87 frame. Not to mention the power loss by going with a 93 motor. Just sayin this so you can check it out to make sure it fits and if it does, that u dont mind the loss in power.

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression that 87 through some of 96 were the same generation. Everything I've read says those engines Will fit each other's frames.

The engine part numbers that start with sc18e- should all be compatible minus some electronic changes in 96. Do you know of the 93 engine to be different?

· Registered
1,439 Posts
87-96 is a fit. and if you change harnesses you can go all the way up to 07. i put a 98 spirit engine in my 96 frame... no problem. a rebuild takes time but you can retain the higher hp with your 87. if you go into the engine, pick up a set of 85,86 pistons and cams, even more power.
cheers

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,498 Posts
Did you happen to see the $249 shipping fee? Also the clearcoat is badly "spotted" suggesting that it has sat exposed to the FL climate (salt air).

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you happen to see the $249 shipping fee? Also the clearcoat is badly "spotted" suggesting that it has sat exposed to the FL climate (salt air).
I did see the shipping. But if I can get his price lower, $600 with shipping isn't a bad deal.

I have the crank covers and fins I can swap from my engine to make it cosmetically look better. The engine was at least running. It's a tough decision. I'd love to know the compression numbers of that engine.

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, another motor

HERE

1988 with 20.5K miles and dyno tested. They want $700 but I am sure I can get em down. I know they arent willing to take parts off. I'll give em a shot.

Would you guys pay $700?

· Registered
1,158 Posts
So, another motor

HERE

1988 with 20.5K miles and dyno tested. They want $700 but I am sure I can get em down. I know they arent willing to take parts off. I'll give em a shot.

Would you guys pay $700?
I'd jump on that one. Only, I'd take it as is. Just bolt it into your bike and ride away. Save your parts for a rainy day. :)

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Just FYI Tyler,

when I did my rebuild, I couldn't find a motor for under 1000 bucks. These are some sweet deals you're finding. If I would have seen that engine above when I was researching, I would have bought that instead of rebuilding.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Thats good the motor will fit. I wasn't sure.

Tyler you can my guy in PA. He's in Dowingtown. I drove to get my motor. I'm sure he has one. He always has a good selection of metric parts and motors.

larsenmotorcycle.com. His name is Cole. 484-678-9396 Tell him Jason From Jersey sent ya. He's a good guy. Thats his cell nmbr so he will answer even after hours a lot of the times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.