Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 DC. I need to replace my clutch. Is it easy to replace? Do I need any special tools or should I have my dealer do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Have you ever changed a motorcycle clutch before or have a friend how has...... If not plan for it to be a multi weekend project. That Said.. If you have a manual and can follow instructions, have a helper and are reasonably familiar with the difference in open and box end wrenches. You can do a clutch in a Saturday and ride Sunday, if not Saturday night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I do my own maintance on my cars and motorcycles (oil changes, filter, spark plugs, etc). I've even converted my VLX to a bobber. But never changed a clutch on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Not sure on the Shadow but I did it on my Rebel and as long as you do your homework up front it's not that difficult. Just make sure you do it all in the same day otherwise you may forget how things go back together. Soak the new plates for a day or two in fresh oil. And get a book or this may help(I use both).Honda VT750DC Shop Manual

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is very easy, but you will have to drop the exhaust, so be sure to get 2 new exhaust gaskets. You may also want to get a clutch basket wrench. This would be a good time to upgrade the springs. I did mine and it was a big difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local dealer is going to charge me $190 :shock:

·
Registered
107 Posts
$190.00?? To do what? If you feel that the clutch is slipping you may just need new springs. I mail ordered Barnett springs and 2 exhaust gaskets for about $20.00.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone have pictures of the crankcase cover open?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Your clutch will generally start slipping in 5th then down from there that will tell you it's time. The motor will rev and fell like you have no power. When you pull the basket and pull the steel plates,you can lay them on a piece of glass to see if they are warped. If not clean them up lightly with a green pad. Don't forget to soak your friction plates for a day or 2 or you won't get the full life out of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts