Honda Shadow Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Teardown is complete. I had to use a buddy to get the circlips out. What a bear: mine had spun around to the tallest part of the fork bottom, and they would not spin. They eventually submitted. There is gunk everywhere. Serves me right: this is the first time in 3 years the oil has been changed.

FYI, the sponge seals/grease washers are no longer available. I read somewhere that instead of these seals, one can use "marine" grease on both sides of the circlip to keep the oil seepage down.

I checked the slider bushing (sits under the fork oil seal) and I can see copper all the way around it. Time to replace, right? Let's hope I can find them somewhere.

Everything else is going OK. Degreasing using Simple Green is OK, but Armor All degreasing spray seems better. Then before assembly, I'll chase everything with brake cleaner.

Comments?
LRM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, after a few delays and LOTS of RealLife intrusions, I got my VT700C put back together. I had to replace the seal and dust seal, and also replaced the circlips and the backup washers. The 1 1/2" PVC tool was invaluable: It seated the bushings, the fork seal, the retainer clips, and the dust seals. I used a Dexron equivalent (says it's for older GM transmissions), and put in just under 16 ounces per fork. Test drive was very nice: soaks up bumps very well, even with no air in the forks. I put about 5 psi in each fork when I got home.

Thanks to all for the notes, procedures, and support. The FSM makes a world of difference as well.

Now, off to burn off the old gas.
LRM

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's been 3 months since I rebuilt the forks. Now the left one is weeping fluid at the dust seal. I made sure the fork tubes were smooth and burr free. I am running ATF, and I think it might be too thin, and making its way past the fork seal. I will move up to 10 weight fork oil later this season.

Comments?
LRM

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's been 3 months since I rebuilt the forks. Now the left one is weeping fluid at the dust seal. I made sure the fork tubes were smooth and burr free. I am running ATF, and I think it might be too thin, and making its way past the fork seal. I will move up to 10 weight fork oil later this season.

Comments?
LRM
Gut feeling is the ATF isn't the problem...IIRC that's what these came with from the factory. If they sealed tight when you were done, maybe you got a piece of crud in there...you might try that Seal Mate thingie and see if that solves it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i second what toolbox said....my 86 vt700 fork seals were leaking so bad everytime i rode oil was all over my brake disc and rim.

....long story short.....another guy on here had told me about cleaning the seals without taking anything apart with a tool called "seal mate"...(i made one out of thin stiff clear plastic from a cell phone packaging,but its gotta be very very thin to work).....i did and both seals,havent leaked a drop since and are fine now...

...its a little bit of a process of running the tool in and wiping off the dirt each time but it saved me from changing my seals for now so i can ride.

...not saying its a cure for everyone but worth a try...if those seals get dirty they leak like crazy....go to youtube and type in "seal mate fork tool"

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was going through fork seals about once a year on my 85 VT1100. Then I had an idea, put a little extra oil in the forks and never put the air to them and they did not leak EVER AGAIN! Just a thought! :-o

·
Registered
82 Posts
Still waiting on Sealmate to send me the shipment. It's been 3 weeks. Time to rattle their cage a bit.
I may also run some SeaFoam in the forks, drain them, and refill them with ATF or fork oil. It's possible I didn't have everything squeaky clean and oil/dirt free before reassembly. SeaFoam should help de-oil the parts.

Comments?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seal-Mate delivered the goods on Saturday. I did like the video said, and ran it around as best I could. The seals are pretty tight in the fork, so it took a bit of effort to get it in and spin it. A test ride of about 50 miles shows no oil leaking. Yet.
I'm still thinking of getting another pair of forks off of Ebay or a local MC parts yard and rebuilding them. Updates to follow.
LRM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Argh...went for a 60 mile ride today, and the left fork is starting to weep fluid again. I'm thinking the new seal is bad, or one of the fork tubes is slightly bent, and fluid is getting by somehow.

Any other ideas I should look at? Swapping the fluid one more time? Trying the SealMate thingie again?

LRM

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
It is vitally important to inspect the tubes and make sure that they are not bent or damaged at the bottom this is a common thing if the seal replaced in a timely manner they can become irreparably harmed

·
Registered
29 Posts
I redid the seals too but damaged one of the copper (outer) slider bushing.
Can anyone tell me where these are sold??

Thanks!
Honda Schadow VT700 (1985)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an 83 Shadow 750 and I wanted to check the pressure in the front forks but it looks like a special valve not a typical Schrader, is there a special tool to check the pressure with? Thanks

Sent from my Venue8 3840 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys ive had my 84 shadow for 5 yrs and love it....but I wanna tweek it a bit, ive been lookin for a raked triple tree for it for 6 months and it seems like mines the only bike they don't make one for, lol, so I really needed to know the stock or OEM length of the fork tubes , I don't want them too long but I would like to rake it about 8 degrees so I would have to add length to the tubes and springs ive got the diameter 39mm but not the orig length , thanks guys and gals

81 - 100 of 100 Posts