Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My starter button has been damaged by a short which resulted in it melting a bit. I'm guessing the last owner tried lubricating it with WD-40 or water got inside. The melted parts cause the button to stick and not release so it must be replaced. (2007 Shadow Spirit VT750dc)
I bought a new starter and stop button assembly to replace it. The throttle cables must be released from their rocker within the old housing to make this happen, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any suggestions, please?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
There aughtta be a shop manual for your Bike in the Tech sticky...
It will detail this for you...
BUT Fairly straight forward, the Knurls slide outta the throttle sleeve easily enough...
Good Luck,
D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
2007? Those are shaft drives, yours is an 01-06.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Mark the positions and loosen your adjusters on the handle bar end of each cable. After they're loose, you should be able to work them out of their retainers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1) I have a bike specific Honda Service manual. It doesn't detail this procedure in the manual.
2) I cannot get the knurls to come out of their pockets. There must be some how to release the tension of the cables to make this easier.
3) There isn't enough tension release in the one adjuster on the cable at the handlebar to help the situation.
4) My bike is a 2007 chain drive. This bike series runs from 2001-2007.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Loosen both adjusters and try to rotate the throttle tube to access the end of the cable. If that doesn't give you enough, you can always loosen the adjusters at the carb end of the cables to give a bit more slack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took mine apart about a month ago and could not for the life on me get it back together. I finally put it together then loosened the handle bars sliding them over to the left giving me enough slack in the cables to slide the throttle on put together as one unit.
You might move the handle bars left and pull the throttle off without taking the cables out of it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yogie has a good suggestion. I've done it that way. Should be able to slide it off once loose enough. I seriously doubt it was the WD40 which caused the problem as I've been using it for decades on numerous bikes to keep my handlebar controls working smoothly and electrical contact cleaning. If in doubt you can get a can of aerosol contact cleaner. I've used them both with good results.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I do believe, you`ll hafta loosen or remove both ends of the cable??
The adjustment at the ends sometimes is not enough to work comfortably...
LLLL, Bring it over, I have the lift empty right now ;)
:)

I`ll let you do the work, I`ll just watch and advise :D

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

EDIT ;)
Be sure to lubricate these components when reinstalling them...
This MAY BE why you`re having this difficulty??

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,566 Posts
Done this on Valk this spring. I loosened the the adjusters and removed the housing screws, opened, removed the cable ends off the spool, removed cable from housing, unplug the wiring harness in the headlight, and replaced the assembly with the new one @ $63 and 30 mins. Might mark the adjuster screw area to establish original cable position.

These folks are across Lake Michigan from you. They had the best prices @ the time. 2 day delivery.
http://www.powersedge.com/

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
4) My bike is a 2007 chain drive. This bike series runs from 2001-2007.
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (VT 750 C2) specifications and pictures

Everything ive seen for 2007 has always been a shaft drive, this includes in person at the dealer. Its possible though, that yours was made after July 1st 2006 and therefore labeled an 07. But AFAIK there were no chain models after 2006. I could also be wrong.

BTW, what does your VIN sticker say for the date it was born? My Fury says Jan/09 but is a 2010 model year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I found the best way to do this job on my cycle was to release the throttle cables at the carb. It was easy to do. It made it so I didn't damage the throttle cables at the handle bar by strong-arming them. They gently slid out from their holders. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 (VT 750 C2) specifications and pictures

Everything ive seen for 2007 has always been a shaft drive, this includes in person at the dealer. Its possible though, that yours was made after July 1st 2006 and therefore labeled an 07. But AFAIK there were no chain models after 2006. I could also be wrong.

BTW, what does your VIN sticker say for the date it was born? My Fury says Jan/09 but is a 2010 model year.
Mine was made in Sept 2006, but it's a 2007 model. For all intents and purposes for parts, for the service manual, and for the owner's manual, it's a 2007.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts