Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel sensor recently stopped working. I get 12 volts of power across the two wires that attach to the leads. If I touch them together, the indicator light comes on. I believe this means that my sensor is the culprit.

I bought a used one on ebay and it just a arrived a day or so ago. Before installing the "new" sensor in the reserve tank, I tried to attach the wires to it. I assume it should trigger the light sensor it's not immersed in gas, but nothing happened.

I have to admit I don't really understand how the sensor works. Is there something I'm missing? Does it need to be threaded into the reserve to complete a ground or something? Or have I just wasted some dough on a faulty sensor? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Can't say for sure without a diagram of the circuit but the easiest way to tell is to hook up the two wires and then ground the body of the sensor to the tank(assuming the tank it is screwed into is metal). That will ground the sensor same as screwing it into the tank.

Most likely if the light comes on with the wires together then you have a ground and the sensor is bad. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The sensor on my Yamaha (inside the tank) went bad on me, so when I got the new one, it had to be grounded to the frame to work. Yours is possibly the same design (?) Or it could be the gauge itself that's bad.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How long did you wait after hooking up the wires on your replacement sensor? The way it works is, when it's not covered with gas it heats up, changing its resistance. But that doesn't happen right away. 30 seconds should be sufficient, I think. I can't quite recall how long it takes the light to come on when I'm first starting out, but it's not immediate.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long did you wait after hooking up the wires on your replacement sensor? The way it works is, when it's not covered with gas it heats up, changing its resistance. But that doesn't happen right away. 30 seconds should be sufficient, I think. I can't quite recall how long it takes the light to come on when I'm first starting out, but it's not immediate.

I plugged in the sensor and waited about 30 sec with the key in the start position. Didn't see anything so I went and emptied my colon. When I came back the light was still not on. I then started up the bike and let it idle for about 10 min... still no light.

All of this was done with the sensor outside the tank. I have a full tank and need to buy a new gas can to empty the tank. I did put the threads on various parts of the frame in case it needed to be grounded, but with two leads I assume that those wires complete the circuit.

I guess I have a bad sensor and need another. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just took a look at the wiring diagram. It looks like it doesn't need to be grounded. Unless there's a broken wire, giving an intermittent connection, you're right, you must have got a bad sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts