Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a 2004 Honda 1300 VTX and thought it would be fun to tinker around and restore an older bike. I was able to pick up a 1983 Shadow VT500C for $100.00 and started working on it this weekend. While cleaning the tank I've found out that the tank leaks and also the frame needs some repair since it is rusted out on the bottom. The bike runs well and has new tires.

My question is would it be best to repair or buy a new tank? If I get another tank are there other years or models that may fit on the bike with a little modification. Also what would you expect to pay to have someone fix a frame (strengthen it)?

Thanks in advance!!

If the answers are not good I have many parts to sell! LOL

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm not the expert on the VT500's but I think they were made for 3-4 years. Good price for the bike, by the way.

You might, might be able to "Kreem" the tank (depending on the size of the leakage) to seal it for useage. If not, gotta go the search features on this board or others like it. E-bay next. Cost of these tanks is getting pretty high, I would imagine. But up to $100 is not out of the realm. :roll:

As for the "frame repair". If it's just "rusted thru" in one spot(one tube), a possible fix can be done. It could cost maybe $100-200. Guessing here. But best advise about this: if you have a "chopper shop" nearby, they would be more "inclined" to section out the bad area and then made "tube plugs" to replace the removed section. They are used to this type of "surgery" rather than the "normal" shop. One really doesn't have to straighten the frame doing this...but a good check of alignment (front to back) would be a good idea.

Still others may disagree with these suggestions (frame failure/gas leaks/etc/etc) but many of us have done these things in years past....and we're still here. :shock: :roll: :wink:
If you feel uncomfortable with this type "repairs" and money....part the bike out.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and info bullzeyet. I'm thinking that I'm gonna give this a go. I have a custom chopper shop in town that can take a look at the frame. As far as the gas tank is concerned. Are there any other years or tanks that with a little modification can work on the 83 frame or even make it look better.

I'm open to some modification and with me taking the frame in for repairs I could always have them weld me on tabs or whatever it takes to put a different tank on the beast. I'm probably going to modify a bunch of small items on the bike to make it my own personality. Things such as the seat, fenders, lights and paint just to name a few.

Any one who has swapped out tanks and has any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Briandrex, about the leaking tank....just have to remove tank and empty contents. Might just be the bottom "seams" of the tank, but might also be"pin holes". It's a tough call without "seeing" the tank area itself. Maybe the chopper guys could steer you in the right direction as to "patching" a area vs the "kreem procedure". Not much help, but it's a tough call. :?

As for "using" another model styled tank. Maybe. I can't really recall how the tank is mounted near the neck or seat area. If it kinda "wraps around" the neck area, there's some rubber location mounts on the neck area. Inside the "neck relief" of the tank are some "location thingys". If your tank doesn't have these maybe a "newer" wrap-around designed tank "could" work. But you also have to worry about the top frame rails (width of "new" tank) and seat areas. Mostly so one can bolt the tank on the frame and THEN worry about getting the right length petcock and it's associated location to the fuel line. Sounds hard...but all these little things are important for getting all the use of the gas in the tank and fuel flow. :roll: Maybe the tank/s from a VT700/800 Shadow(85-88), CB650, maybe a VT1100 (87-up) might/could work. Just gotta get some "friends" with these bikes or go to a Honda shop nearby and see if they MAY have a tank or two in the "dusty parts area" of the back shop. :roll:

On the frame issue....I'd rather NOT see you do the "strap thing". NOT good at all. The chopper guys could/would cut the area out of the frame and then machine a piece of steel to the inside dia. of the frame tube on the "ends" and then make it as long as the area affected.They'd insert this "plug" to the ends of the frame and weld/paint. Been done many times to "fix" frames or lengthen them.

Hope all this "stuff" helps ya.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

First on the frame. I'm definitely going to have this handled professionally. On the tank, it does have the mounts up by the neck of the tank. One bolt right under where the seat and tank meet and then rubber mounts on the neck.

Will the sealer from the link provided seal leaks. Both sides near the seams appears to be where the leaks are occuring. There were no leaks until I flushed out the tank with Kerosene and a bunch of nuts which I shook around inside to loosen the rust. At this point I proceeded to fish the nuts and all of the loosened rust and metal out with a magnetic telescoping tool until hardly any more debris was coming out.

This maybe a stupid question but how do you completely get all liquid out of the tank? It does not flow freely through the petcock and when upside down it gets trapped near the fill. I'm interested in fixing this tank if the product works but want to make sure I can do it properly to have a fighting chance.

I plan on taking a ride to my local honda dealer to see if they have any recommendations. If they don't at least I can stare at some shiny bikes.

LOL

Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes the POR 15 will seal leaks and small pin size holes.

Use a garden hose and flush the tank out of all the loose crap. Pour in the mild acid from the kit and slosh it around for a few hours. You know your done with the acid when the inside looks bright and clean looking with a flashlight. Dump out the acid. Fill with water and flush it out several times. Use a hair dryer or shop vac and blow air through the tank for a few hours until dry. Pour in the sealer and slowly rotate the tank over and over and over until you know it's all coated inside. Turn tank upside down and let the excess drain out and keep it in that position 24-28 hours until it's hard. Wait a week before putting gas in it.

P.S. Be sure to remove the petcock from the tank when it's time to put in the sealer. Use duct tape to seal the hole. After you turn it upside down to let sealer run out remove the tape and clean the threads with Q-tips to remove sealer from threads.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
As Thunderglass suggests, POR-15 is another good product for "sealing" the tank. His comments about the "how-to" are spot on.

Finding a "tank"(for swapping) for the 500 might be a little harder than you or me expect. But just keep an open mind as you look over a tank(as for the shape/size) and it's mount/s. Remember how some of those shows on TV do it (OCC)???? Duh, ya that's looks good Paulie. :roll: :lol:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna go for it. I will let you guys knows if it is successful or not. Thanks for all of your help. I'll have to take some now pictures (a mess) and hopefully some then pictures (wow!) in the future.

One last thing on the tank. The one I have has a homemade paint job. What's the best way to strip it? I'm interested in doing it myself.

Thanks,

Briandrex

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Any number of ways. Sandpaper and elbow grease, chemical stripper, bead blaster.

G

·
0 Posts
Briandrex said:
One last thing on the tank. The one I have has a homemade paint job. What's the best way to strip it? I'm interested in doing it myself.
Ordinary paint stripper from the hardware store and some 000 or 0000 steel wool. If it's rusty on the outside put some Metal Prep (phosohoric acid) on it. You can find it in automotive paint stores.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, I had rust in the tank of my 1984 VT500, so I bought a tank kit from KBS coatings (
Amazon.com: CYCLE TANK SEALER KIT by KBS Coatings: Automotive) to reline it. I followed the instructions VERBATIM. I'm the first to admit if I took a shortcut and screwed up, but this time I followed each item step by step, exactly as specified. I gave it the requisite 96 hours to dry before putting gas in.

Took the bike up to the gas station today to fill 'er up, opened the cap and...well, the entire lining detached from the top of the tank and is falling inward. Totally ruined.

VERY frustrating. I found a used tank with no rust online. Just has a few small dents, so I think I'll just go that route, rather than buy a stripping kit, then get another tank liner and hope for the best.

·
Registered
586 Posts
just a note. the fuel tank on the 500 shadows hide the intake snorkle. if you were to try to find a replacement it will most likely not have the same size cutout for the ductwork. repair or replacement would be the better option. the 83 to 86 VT500c tank is a match.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts