Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live 70 miles from the Dragon & my son is coming from Ill. in a couple weeks and we're gonna drop down and do the dragon for a day trip. I'm new back riding (1100 miles recently after a 25 yr lay off) Any advice?
:p

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Like the old song goes..."Take it EEEEEAAAAASSSSSSSY"! Dont rush it, it will come bac to you. When you hit the Dragon...GOOD LUCK:p I want to ride it this year, not sure if I will make it or not.
Coop

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've heard a lot about The Dragon. I'm intrigued to understand what makes it so noteworthy. Help? Thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Dragon is a fun ride. Best advise I can give you is ride your own ride. Ride in your comfort level. To many people want to see how fast they can ride it. Take your time and have fun.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just ride the speed limit and you will have no problems. I think the speed limit is 25 mph most of the way if I remember. What is the dragon you ask? It is 318 curves in 11 miles. Don't let it scare you, my wife did it the first week on her 04 Shadow Aero and handled it no problem. We have some twisties that compare here in the Ozarks, but just not 318 of them in 11 miles.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Enjoy the ride, and ride at your own pace. I like mornings best, weekday mornings even better...less traffic.

And...never never ever cross the center line. Bad form.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've heard a lot about The Dragon. I'm intrigued to understand what makes it so noteworthy. Help? Thanks!
Photos from Killboy.com and other companies of you riding and/or crossing the double yellow or...

http://killboy.blogspot.com/

Also the entire 11 miles has no intersections to worry about and there are also a lot of other nice roads in the area to choose.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
posted speed limit on the dragon was 35 mph when I rode it back in 2007. I never got out of 2nd gear and ran at the speed limit, and was passed several time by squids doing wheelies, and this was on a weekday.

ride your own style, let the crotch rockets go by, avoid eye fixation, look where you want to go.

mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like parts of Skyline Drive. When I find the perfect bike, and buy it, I'm entering at Front Royal and driving to the end. Then I'm turning around and going back. A couple hundred miles at 35 mph (thereabouts), shouldn't take more than a day. Maybe camp, who knows?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds like parts of Skyline Drive. When I find the perfect bike, and buy it, I'm entering at Front Royal and driving to the end. Then I'm turning around and going back. A couple hundred miles at 35 mph (thereabouts), shouldn't take more than a day. Maybe camp, who knows?
I have drivin Skyline.. was nice. Wish i could o it on the bike before i leave.. but not enough time off.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
just ride in your comfort zone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I will ride my own ride. And take pictures. I drove it in my Saab some years back and there was a Mini-Cooper festival then and a bunch of crazies. Going on a Wed. morning, should get there around 9 am. Plan and stopping and taking our time. I should be able put some good pics of my and my son's ride after this. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
drive within your comfort level.after watchin several vids on this road,id say as long as you drive the speed limit,you should do fine..just dont do what this guy done.. for more info,goto youtube.com and type in deals gap,motorcycle crashes or just watch some vids of people doin it legally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.