Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Both of my Honda's have shields; the 1100 a Memphis Shades, the 750 a National wind screen.
Don't have one for the Nomad yet, and since it's the latest in my stable, I've been riding it a lot the last couple of weeks. It's been brutal! It's just no fun once I get up to 65, I feel like I have to hang on for dear life. I got stung by something, had to pull over and pull the stinger out. I've got bugs in the teeth, bugs in the chest, bug guts all over my sunglasses.. I thought I'd be getting somewhat used to it, but this afternoon was just miserable.
Other than that, I love the Nomad.
So, what is your preference?

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,217 Posts
Ever since 2007 and 32,800 miles later, I still have on windshield on my Shadow Aero 750. I just dealt with the wind all this time and never really had a cause for concern.

But now that I just added saddlebags, I might want to reconsider and get a Memphis Shades or some other type of windshield...

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
It is a lot more relaxing with a shield. I don't like the looks of them, but the function outweighs the looks for me at this point. I took mine off one time and as soon as I got back, the shield went back on.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750
562 Posts
Memphis Fats,every day,in town or out.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Memphis Shades of some kind with quick release take it off every now and then for in town riding. I hate the look of the wind shield but boy do I like the protection both bugs and wind.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I rode my AERO home from the dealer with a windshield. :D

I've contemplated putting it back on, but EVERY time, I see it on there and say, "nah!".....

Sure, it'd be nice during night riding and love-bug season, but I just can't get past the looks. I may, if the therapy continues. Maybe....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ride with a wide, tall Memphis Fats type windshield that I look through, not over.
It never comes off. Single best add-on to the bike I made.
I don't ride in the rain and don't ride at night.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's been brutal! It's just no fun once I get up to 65, I feel like I have to hang on for dear life. I got stung by something, had to pull over and pull the stinger out. I've got bugs in the teeth, bugs in the chest, bug guts all over my sunglasses..
So, what is your preference?
A full-face helmet!

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
no windshield; no ride.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A full-face helmet!
Yes I suppose, but that still wouldn't help with the blast of air hitting me in the chest.
The guy I bought the Nomad from said there was a shield for it, but it was at another location. Hoping he gets it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
I think we can honestly call these "Bug Screens" or "Bug Shields"...

I`m happy to say, I hear things bounce off the windshield, some are BIG!

Lets RIDE

You can recognize a happy Biker by the bugs in his smile :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades Fats for my 1100. I take it off when I am going on short runs in town, but if I am going on the highway that shield goes back on, it is so much more relaxing with it on, while on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm always curious to see what it would feel like riding with a shield.. Bugs etc is not a problem for me as I always ride in full gear (full face, riding jacket, jeans). The only problem I have is riding above 65mph can get a bit tiring, you really have to hold on tight and it can become uncomfortable depending on wind conditions..

I did ride a highway once in a half helmet, shorts and a regular shirt.. NEVER again! the bugs I hit stung my skin and riding behind vehicles got painful from the debris they throw up.. I stuck to using my full face helmet ever since..

How does windshields affect fuel economy? Anything significant?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was actually thinking about removing mine to see if I like it. Since then I've notice how many bugs have "flicked" off of it and thought about where that bug would have landed if the windshield was not there. So..... I'm keeping my windshield on!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
WITHOUT!

My 750 Spirit came with a Memphis Shades 19'' Slim and I kept it on for most of the first season that had it. I HATED how it looked but tolerated it because...well...not sure why. The buffeting that it caused was awful no matter how I adjusted it.

Last season I took it off and never looked back. I would much rather deal with a constant blast of wind than all that ridiculous buffeting. Some of the bigger bugs can be a little painful, especially when they are big enough that you can see them coming at you! :mrgreen: :lol:

No shield with the new ride either.

I'm glad I'm not constantly cleaning all the bugs off that damned shield when I've got lots of chrome and nice paint to pay attention to. :mrgreen: :roll:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.