Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I've got a tip for him about safe riding. DO NOT ride in the middle of your lane, that is where all the oil/grease/nails/screws/sand/gravel, etc... end up most of the time.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said that, firehawk. He said use the right track (not far right in the dirt though, and not the left track either).

Also, a couple questions for you guys on these newbie tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiqu_o2hoJ0

At bout 4:30 he starts talking about foot position. I do it his way, but always wondered if I should learn to get comfy with my feet locked in one spot ready to hit brake or shift.

At about 9:10 he says to ride freeway in the right lane instead of left lane. My commute is long so I typically stay in the left lane. The right lane has too much on/off traffic, seems more risky there. To his point, there is usually a left shoulder anyway...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ive logged over 27000 miles in my 8.5 years of riding and not once have i ever been in the right lane or right side of a lane (unless im in a pack) if i can ever help it.

Why?

How often do you actually look at your right mirror? If youre to the right of a car thats the only mirror you can be POSITIVE he can see you in. On the left side of the lane you have the drivers mirror and rear view to annoy him with.

'Balls on the pegs'... No. I totally disagree with this. Its not a bicycle, you dont need to pedal and youre safer if the crotch of your boot is resting on the peg. You shouldnt be shifting your feet on the pegs to help you shift or brake. If anything you might need to swivel a little to shift or brake, but if you need to move your feet around that much to accomplish this, its unsafe IMHO. It also goes against everything ive read on the subject, probably from long before he was born.

Also, why is it that sport bike riders think they are the only correct ones? Ever notice that?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
At first I didn't watch the whole video but during the first couple of minutes he was riding in the middle of the lane.

I've watched more of the video and while it's just a matter of opinion I tend to ride in the leftside of the lane. The guy in the SUV could have done the same thing if he were on the rightside. That driver was just an idiot in a hurry, lane placement wouldn't have mattered.

IMO, riding on the rightside especially when approaching an intersection is a recipe for disaster. Drivers turning left cannot see you if you're behind a vehicle and if they're in a hurry (as most are) they can/will turn in front of you.

But as he said many times, do the **** what you wanna do...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
How I ever survived 43 yrs. of riding w/o You Tube is beyond me. Oh I know, common sense! Now where did I put my coffee...

·
Registered
711 Posts
How I ever survived 43 yrs. of riding w/o You Tube is beyond me. Oh I know, common sense! Now where did I put my coffee...
Good post!

I don't necessarily "stick with" any one style. Be aware of your surroundings and constantly adapt! Now, if you're looking for a style that will give you all the reasons in the world to blame the other guy, be my guest. "I was doing exactly like I was taught!", might not work in every situation...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Keeping the peg under the ball of your foot can be very beneficial on a sport bike as your toes point down. I learned to pull my feet back pretty quick after leaning into a turn and catching my toe. Having my foot broken when it gets rammed back into a peg is reason enough for me.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
If any of ya'll ever ride in South Carolina, you'll use every bit of your lane as our roads suck and have been patched to death. The patches are either raised or slightly lower than the normal road surface and it's best to dodge em or weave.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Totally agree.
47 yrs. here, in April 2015.
Skipped the video lesson.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If any of ya'll ever ride in South Carolina, you'll use every bit of your lane as our roads suck and have been patched to death. The patches are either raised or slightly lower than the normal road surface and it's best to dodge em or weave.
Amen Brother!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed when I moved to Tennessee that roads are really neglected. I know a pothole that would crash a bike that has been there since 08.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The roads here in North Carolina are like that of SC, you can't stay consistently in any part of the lane, it's a constant 'dodge the pot hole or patch'. But it does keep you on your toes to watch the road ahead. I also noticed that he did not use turn signals, hard for the guy behind you to know where you are going? Been riding 50 yr. and learned keep the eyes moving, no music just that of the engine, and don't 'day dream', focus, focus, focus. And enjoy the ride. just a thought.........

·
Registered
116 Posts
If any of ya'll ever ride in South Carolina, you'll use every bit of your lane as our roads suck and have been patched to death.
Several times a year I make the trip from NY to FL on 95 and I have to agree. SC has the worst roads by far of any state on the east coast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ever been to Indiana? Talk about shi**y roads...:roll:
Haven't been there lately so I can't compare. SC is just such a stark contrast from the states that surround it. NC and GA have such beautiful modern roads while SC's roads seem like they haven't been improved since the 50's.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
Ever been to Indiana? Talk about shi**y roads...:roll:
Had to call the county two years in a row to patch our section of road which has the most residents/traffic flow than the Northern section.

Had the pleasure of visiting in 3-04' for a week job interview etc. in the Charolette area. Yes your roads are just like our roads here and we got 12" of snow in 24 hrs. the 2nd. day there. Just like home!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts