Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening!

I'm a long-time rider in Maine (11 years, 70,000 miles). I love riding, and don't see me ever stopping...But...

Back in '94 (before I even started riding), I fell down a small flight of steps outside, covered in ice on a misty, just-barely-cold night. Landed on my tailbone all the way down. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. My best friend (HondaShadow.net member IndyFitz) was there, saw it happen.

I've had long-term back-pain ever since. I've always been able to manage it, or just suck-it-up and ride. But, I gotta say, it's bothering me more and more. I fractured my coxyx (tip of the tailbone). Wasn't anything they could do for me, really. So recently, I started wondering...surely...other riders with ACE 750's must have found a need for a new seat, or something, to alleviate back-pain, so, why not ask them?

So...I ride a 2002 Shadow ACE (55k all-mine miles). I'm looking for others who have had back problems, and gone out in search of a replacement seat, or something, to lessen the back pain. I know about Mustang seats, Corbin, etc. I'd buy one, if I thought it would help. What has your experience been?

I find when I sit on a sport-bike, the leaning forward takes the pressure off the tip of my tailbone...feels good. My buddy has a 2007 Spirit which has more of a "bucket" seat, and that seems more comfortable too, at least from that respect.

Any other riders had back problems, and how did you solve them? Anyone else have thoughts on replacement seats? Are they worth the $400 or so? And did it help you back?

Today, I was coming across Route 105 in Maine, an absolutely awful road. Worst I've ever ridden. Twenty miles might as well have been a thousand, I was in agony the whole time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I swallow a lot of drugs.....and I ride a lot of different motorcycles, until I find one that feels good. For the time being... ;)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Maybe you should ask your question directly to Mustang, Corbin, etc, and see what they have to say? I bet you aren't the first to ask this.
Dan

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would think having your seat custom altered would be the way to go. You can buy an off the shelf Mustang, or Corbin, but with your specific tail bone issue I'd be seriously looking at a one-off custom.

Here is a link to a place that might be able to help you. A guy on a Triumph board I frequent used them, and was happy with the results.

Bitchn Stitchn Inc.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
a good seat is a must but a drivers backrest is more important, its the only way i can ride all day it hits me right in my lower back and gives me lots of support

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had my episodes of "throwing out" my back over the years, usually gets better in 2-3 weeks or so. When I got my 09 Spirit 750, I immediately started getting bad lower backaches during and after every ride. Seat design, slouchy riding position, peg location, whatever. I ended up with an Ultimate solo saddle and it really has stopped the problem. But, not sure if they can make one up for your specific bike. You might check with them,
Ultimate Motorcycle Seats for Valkyrie, VTX, Rune, Goldwing, Aero 750, Yamaha, Harley-Davidson®, Suzuki, Kawasaki - Ultimate Seats 800 818 6868

If the seat hadn't cleared up the problem my next steps would have been an optional adjustable backrest, floorboards, and possibly a different set of handlebars to make me sit up straighter.

Hope you find the right setup. Back pain sucks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have a lot of Sciatic problems, in fact have been with this last episode for 3 weeks, been going to the chiropractor for two weeks and doing 90% better, even rode 100 miles yesterday and no problems with riding, I do have a Corbin, added new risers (years ago) and have a backrest, I think with this kinda laid back position does make a big difference, I had my Corbin custom made at the factory, sorta dished out in the back, it is very comfortable for me, I also sit on a sheepskin seatcover which I think is a big help.............

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have had a lower back problems for the last 25 years. Before a longer ride I take some ibuprophen & have some more in my pocket for later on. It helps. I have a 97 Shadow Spirit 1100 & it has a more dished out seat than many bikes. Fits my butt better than most do. I ride my bike more for trips than day to day stuff & pretty much always have my T-bag strap on to the passenger backrest on top of the passenger seat & use it as a big back rest. It REALLY makes a big difference.

After I'm off the bike a gin & tonic also helps :-}

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
I have an inversion table that helps with my back.

I also have cut my weight down and keep my core muscles (stomach, back, etc) very strong...

Highway pegs also help........

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had back problems for over 20 years, although there were no fractures. Had Mean City Cycles reshape my seat and it is very comfortable now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am also fighting back pain after an accident that fractured two vertebra, and now having lots of nerve pain. Been nine months since the injury, and have ridden maybe five times. Can't go over about 30 minutes without extreme pain, but hopefully will get better. The folks at Mean City Cycles are really good at seats and more than willing to help. Talk to them! Ride safe! Cowboy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There are some experiments you can do to help figger what will and won't work.

1. Much non-injury related back pain, especially on bikes, is a product of poor spinal position from birth or bad habits. You may need additional cushion in the back to make your pelvis rotate forward a tad. This restores 'native' curvature. Unbolt your seat, add a shim to the rear which raises and rotates it to see if it helps when static (not riding) or alternately, you can pack some ziploc bags with folded washcloths and duct tape them to the seat, then ride a bit. I am assuming you don't have a massive 'look ma, I'm pregnant!' pot belly which strains your back muscles which are trying to hold it up.

2. If #1 helps, you can have the stock seat supplemented with memory foam and have them notch out a deep tailbone valley to remove pressure.

3. When hitting a rough patch, seams, RR tracks, etc lean forward. This allows your torso and butt to rotate around your shoulders and stops jarring spinal compression when you 'bang'.

·
Registered
60 Posts
a good seat is a must but a drivers backrest is more important, its the only way i can ride all day it hits me right in my lower back and gives me lots of support
Can you buy just a driver's seat backrest, that will work with a stock seat? If so, where?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have some fractured lumbar vertebrae and much nerve damage/irritation from a bout with lymphoma. I used to ride a 1985 VT700 but the seat was terrible on that bike and I didn't like only having one choice of foot position. On my 2002 Spirit, I have added floorboards and highway pegs as well as higher risers and a Mustang seat with the drivers backrest. The backrest really helps me and the Mustang seat does a good job of absorbing shock, which also helps a great deal. Now, with the help of a Crazy Creek air canoe pad, I can ride 200 - 300 miles a day. I could never have done that before these modifications. I do have to take pain medicine but I have to take that no matter what I do. Right now, I feel the very best physically when I am out riding my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
You can find some Mustang seats with back supports (had one for years because I had a ruptured disc that has since disintegrated and healed by itself). Other than that, all I know is pain meds. Not a good way to go but sometimes the only way. Don't know if support would help you; my injury was at L1-L2--felt like a blowtorch in the lower back for years. Pain is gone now. Sorry guy; I empathize.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have a bad back also. A couple of crushed vertabrae. I got this neat seat cushion from Canadian Tire (local auto and everything else store). It's actually supposed to be for an office chair but it works on the bike $11.00! that and a backrest and I can outride all my buddies and even my gas tank. I don't actually have a backrest, but I strap a bag full of stuff on the rear seat and rest on that. It works.

Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts