Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some good rides in the Illinois area. New to riding and looking for places that will help me gather riding styles and skills. I figure to start with easy rides and work my way to the longer rides. Up for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Illinois state route 4 anywhere near where you are? Relatively quiet state highway, often an even split between cages and bikes, curves are just gentle loops, nice small towns, just interesting enuf to keep you from falling asleep but good for a new rider. You might give that one a try.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My son is in Urbana and he says most rides up there are "boring" - go straight, turn right, go straight, turn left - no hills, few curves. He came to East TN couple weeks ago and droooled over our hills and twistes.

So, I'm guessing most of your rides will be good for a new rider :)

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
So, I'm guessing most of your rides will be good for a new rider :)

Have fun!
;) Oh, rub it in . . . Urbana is way north of us, and it's kinda like Kansas but with corn up there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lakota, I actually live right on rt 4. I am in central Illinois bout 30 minutes south of Springfield. I have been running up and down rt 4 to springfield almost everyday to and from work, but the few curves are kinda boring. Now that fall is arriving I am looking for a few senic areas to ride in, I love the cool air and the changing of the leaves. I have thought about running the great river road down towards Alton and making a stop at Fast Eddies, always looking for a friend to ride with.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Hi Lakota, I actually live right on rt 4. I am in central Illinois bout 30 minutes south of Springfield. I have been running up and down rt 4 to springfield almost everyday to and from work, but the few curves are kinda boring. Now that fall is arriving I am looking for a few senic areas to ride in, I love the cool air and the changing of the leaves. I have thought about running the great river road down towards Alton and making a stop at Fast Eddies, always looking for a friend to ride with.
Good morning!

The River Road is beautiful in the fall, although it's pretty much a straight shot from Alton to Grafton. In Grafton, you'll find some biker-friendly eateries and interesting places. From Grafton to Marquette State Park you'll find a few easy swoops in the road, and at the Park you can take the roads up the bluffs (fun twisties here) to get some awesome views of the rivers. My wife and I go there as often as we can and when weather allows.

The River Road (Route 100) has pretty heavy traffic on week-ends--50%/50% cages and bikes.

Pere Marquette Lodge & Conference Center - Grafton, Illinois

From the Park up to Hardin you'll find some nice riding, and (if I remember right) it's pretty good past there also.

I've been to Fast Eddie's once. That's all I need; just cheap beer and food and nothing else.

It's a nice ride and one I think you'll like. From Alton, with the bluffs and trees (fall foliage) to the right and the river on the left, it's beautiful. I just wish it were longer sometimes. There are little roadside stands where you can buy anything from home-made fudge to hard apple cider. Typical Midwestern fall fare and kinda fun.

When the weather warms up a little, maybe we can connect.

-john

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cooler weather does slow things down a bit, but I see some warmer days coming. We could hook up for a ride sometime, I have a crazy work schedule but plenty of vac days that I need to use. Been considering a ride next weekend, but will have to see what the weather is going to do. Where in Illinois do you hail from?

Welcome to Illinois, where our governors make our license plates.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
The cooler weather does slow things down a bit, but I see some warmer days coming. We could hook up for a ride sometime, I have a crazy work schedule but plenty of vac days that I need to use. Been considering a ride next weekend, but will have to see what the weather is going to do. Where in Illinois do you hail from?

Welcome to Illinois, where our governors make our license plates.
Edwardsville, 30-45 minutes from the start of the River Road. I'm seeing a few 80-degree days coming up. Route 100 is much better to ride during the week, otherwise you're dodging gawkers in cages and on bikes.

If you want, send me a PM when you've lined up some time, and we'll see if we can connect. :D

-john

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll do that. I've never rode with anyone else so it'l be a nice change of pace. Let me see what kinda vacation time I can get.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'll do that. I've never rode with anyone else so it'l be a nice change of pace. Let me see what kinda vacation time I can get.
No worries. I'm real easy to ride with.

-john

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm from Jacksonville, IL here. Let me know if you plan a ride. I'm always game. I agree the river road between grafton and alton is pretty cool with the bluffs and river on either side. I've only been through there once. Taking the river road up north from Grafton (our South when I come from from Jacksonville)is pretty nice too crossing Illinois River via ferry at Brussels and Kampsville.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'm from Jacksonville, IL here. Let me know if you plan a ride. I'm always game. I agree the river road between grafton and alton is pretty cool with the bluffs and river on either side. I've only been through there once. Taking the river road up north from Grafton (our South when I come from from Jacksonville)is pretty nice too crossing Illinois River via ferry at Brussels and Kampsville.
Good to hear from you! Will do. Have been to both at the ferry. Makes for an interesting day. I think you need a helmet if you cross the river?

-john

·
Registered
162 Posts
You need a helmet if you cross the Mississippi into Missouri, but I was actually talking about the Illinois River. So you are still in Illinois on either side of the Illinois River and don't need a helmet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we will have to let you know when we plan to ride. Dont know many that ride so the more the better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts