Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 1200-1500 mile ride planned for the spring (300 miles per day avrg) and wondering if it's time to shop for a new bike.

My 96 shadow 1100 will be laden with me and my girl. That's about 400 lbs geared up plus bags. We intend to travel light and will be staying in hotels.

We will be climbing Mt Washington at some point as well.

Bike has 8k miles on it- and will need new rubber and beefier front springs as a minimum.

Aside from that any issues to anticipate with the clutch?
What about carbs at those altitudes? The exhaust was given the hole saw mod and I enriched the carb mixture screws.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Your bike will be fine, if this is your first time attempting such a ride odds are you and her will have more issues with the ride than your Spirit.. bikes.. they are amazing

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Bike should handle it just fine!
Pack 1/2 as much as you think you need, then take 1/2 of that away.
No, seriously take as little as possible, yall ain't gonna stink, the wind will blow the funk away:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The bike has enough power for this no question, so long as you're not trying to win any races. Always leave plenty of room for braking. I'd advise a different seat than the stock one for your passenger....that thing is tiny, and 300 miles a day sitting on that little pad does not sound like fun. Depending on how tall/long legged your passenger is you might want to look into relocating the passenger pegs down a bit. They sit up pretty high and on a long ride would be uncomfortable.

Your clutch will be fine so long as you use it properly. You will lose some power at higher altitudes, but again as long as you are not trying to win a race it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's 5'7" and I'm 6'1". It's a little compact for me but I'll survive.

It's got a Travelcade seat with drivers backrest and a sissy bar on back.

She's new to bikes and hasn't ridden on it yet. That's something for nicer weather.

I put a few thousand in it last year and my ass tends to slide forward on the seat. I'm thinking beefier springs up front will help.

Also was thinking of getting a beaded seat cushion or airhawk. The chafing last summer was awful from the built up sweat.

Only other complaint is melting my riding pants on the exhaust. I'm thinking aftermarket pipes might cure that.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
She's new to bikes and hasn't ridden on it yet. That's something for nicer weather.

Take her for a 300 mile ride around where you live. Do that a couple of times then ask yourselves if you're ok with doing that four or five days in a row.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
So when do you plan to ride Mount Washington?
Too early and you may still be looking at a closed road
Be aware that even during Laconia bikeweek the conditions
on the rock pile can be winter like
but..it is a great ride

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Dave, weather wise, what is the perfect time to plan a ride up Mt. Washington?
The Auto road is usually good throughout late spring and the summer but the caveat still stands.. it can be winter like at any time.. sorry to say but best bet is to check the conditions on the day you are planning on riding up

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your trip. I agree with the points above, get her out for a few rides first.

While the bike will do it, be aware that the load rating for the vt1100 is somewhere around 360 - 370 lbs (my 2006 is rated for 362). You will likely be over that even if you travel light.

So, if it is within your means and you think you might want to do more of this, now might be a good time to move to a larger bike.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Relocating passenger foot pegs

you might want to look into relocating the passenger pegs down a bit. They sit up pretty high and on a long ride would be uncomfortable.

How do you relocate those pegs? Is there a kit than can be purchased?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Passenger weight is no problem, but passenger space is. My wife and I were always clanking helmets on the Shadow 1100 Spirit, and only solved the situation with a Goldwing. In general cruisers are not the best for 2-up riding because the feet-forward position of the driver places him (or her) pretty far back on the bike, reducing passenger space. All the cruisers I have owned -- 1100 Virago, Honda 750 Magna, Suzuki GV1200 and the Shadow (my wife would not ride with me on the Harley at all:mrgreen:) -- shared this problem. My current Wee-Strom has a LOT more ****pit space for both rider and passenger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts