Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious... I know that not everyone who does will want to answer this question, but how many non-LEO riders have CCW permits and regularly ride armed?

If you do, what's your weapon of choice and how do you carry it on the bike?

·
Registered
430 Posts
i want one and i have had one since legally allowed by law at the age of 21.

its my constitutional right, and i fully intend to exercise it.

my weapon of choice is my .38 snubby in a pocket holster or inside the waistband holster. depends on the weather. its hot here in FL so mostly in the pocket.

in the rare instance of cold weather i may carry my Springfield XD 9 Subcompact inside the waist while on the bike b/c my leather jacket conceals it very well.

i go everywhere armed on my bike and by truck. only with the exception of what is not allowed by law, which to me includes my college and the VA hospital.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a question about this whole thread and all the related threads over the years. Do you carry this for protection while on the bike or for when you get off the bike?

CCW or not, how do you deploy a firearm on a device that takes both hands and both feet to ride?

·
Registered
430 Posts
iamsmiling said:
I have a question about this whole thread and all the related threads over the years. Do you carry this for protection while on the bike or for when you get off the bike?

CCW or not, how do you deploy a firearm on a device that takes both hands and both feet to ride?
lol, this isnt the video game grand theft auto, nor do i think like that. i would say for both, b/c you never know. what if you were held up at a stop light, bike jacked, etc.

i often think of how easy it would be for someone to run up and pile drive me off my bike from behind. possible... yes. likely.... no. would i shoot them, probably not, b/c a bike can be replaced.

so i would, for the most part, say when i get off the bike.

lets not forget, the world isnt as rosy as some would have you think......

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
iamsmiling said:

Thats what throttle locks are for. If you're good, riding no hands on the handlebars so that you have both hands to steady the gun! :shock:

Seriously though, I carry for protection at all times. If I am on the bike, I will get stopped and then do whatever I need to.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
A small .380 auto in a pocket holster seems to be the maximum we can comfortably tote while riding. We pray that we shall never need it...

We trudge on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The throttle on my bike will prove far more effective in getting me out of a dangerous situation. Remember if you can escape your survival is almost guaranteed.

I'm not sure how many of you have been on the losing end of an armed assault, but the likelihood of getting your concealed out of the holster when being attacked on your bike is pretty poor.

If you are sitting at a stop light you've probably got your left hand on the clutch, possibly right hand on the brake, and your right foot on the brake (most common for me). So I'd need to put my right foot down, shift to neutral, release my clutch, unzip my jacket, unhoster, and... hopefully the bad guy doesn't notice I'm doing this.... right?

A better option is to either surrender whatever the bad guy is looking for or ride off quickly.

Anyone who draws and fires while in a moving vehicle has officially become a hazard to public safety. I don't shoot accurately while running much less trying to control a moto/car at speed. You have a throttle, escape! To the person who commented that if a tailgater could see you are armed when that may discourage them, I hope that was tongue in cheek. What, are you going to do, shoot them for following too close?

I support going armed if you feel like you might need it. I carry, rarely, when I think it is necessary. If you feel the need to open carry to the grocery store at 10AM on a Sunday to buy a gallon of milk, by all means do so. I see it all the time and frankly I think it's mostly a lot of wanna-be cowboys showing off.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I remember on another of these threads that there was a rider who was harassed and followed by a cager. He pulled up to a stop light only to see the cager pull up behind him, exit his car and start walking toward him, with a bat, I believe. The rider reached into his jacket, pulled his gun, turned around in the saddle and leveled it at the cager, who promptly reversed his direction and retreated to his car. The rider used that time to pull a quick right turn and escape.

I would call that a success.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,113 Posts
I have a CWP, but I don't always carry. I have a CZ75B 9mm (full size 9mm) that is a little difficult to conceal properly.

I wouldn't want to try to carry it on the bike anyway. It would give off the wrong impression and most likely freak people out. There's a time and a place...

Virginia is an "open carry" state, but I only open carry if I'm going to the range, or out in the woods going hunting.

I got my CWP just because I wanted to and to cover my a$$ in the event I have the 9mm concealed in my truck or somehow concealed on me.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Yup, I've had a CC permit since I turned 21.

As for carrying while on a ride, it depends on the ride. If it's just me and my bike, then no. I have nothing on myself, nor anything in my bike, nor is my bike worth enough to even warrant considering needing a weapon to prevent someone from taking it. Take my wallet, take my bike, take my lunch. I can replace all of it.

If I am riding with my wife, or others I care about, then I take it. Take all of the possessions you like, but if someone threatens a person, they cannot be replaced and I have no problem at all answering a threat with force. They made the first move.

Of course, as with any time you carry a weapon (gun, knife, sharp stick, etc) always ask yourself if you are trained and willing to use it. Carrying a weapon isn't "cool." It's responsibility, and a liability if you have even the slightest question or hesitation in your mind as to how to use it, when to use and why to use it. It's in the split second of hesitation that you become the receiver of the force you carry.

Better to not bring a weapon to a fight at all if you aren't 100% committed to its purpose. Otherwise, you may have supplied the only weapon in the fight and it might be used by your aggressor.

I have been trained, I know the laws, I know how to hold my temper and I know how to stay cool in a situation. it is only for these reasons that I feel comfortable carrying on the occasions that I do. If your temper has ever gotten the best you in the midst of a disagreement (had this has not been properly corrected), leave the weapons at home.

--Justin

1 - 20 of 135 Posts