Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just moved from Uvalde Texas (25,000 ppl.) to San Antonio Texas (LOTS OF PEOPLE!) Basically my home town is about 1 hour away. I haven't brought my bike because I'm not sure how I'd feel about riding in such heavily congested areas. Though I see tons of riders out there doing it. I guess I've just been a little nervous to bring the bike and head out riding. Anyone ever gone through this before or could offer some advice about riding in a bigger city? I miss my bike more than anything. :( I just plan to maybe go back and forth to work and weekend riding out of town in the hill country. I dont plan on riding around the freeways all afternoon being a target for retard drivers.

· Registered
89 Posts
I live in the DFW metro mess, so I feel your pain. I commute 15 miles most days, and drive defensively. Riding in the hill countrty sounds great. I am planning a trip there in June for a few days. Just map out some routes that you feel comfortable on and take it from there.

· Registered
7,345 Posts
The first thing to learn in a big city is whenever your stopped at a red light at an intersection and your light turns green, wait for at least three cars coming in the other direction to crash the red light. Everyone else is in a rush, try not to get yourself in the same mode.

· Registered
89 Posts
True, I've also found you have to ride a bit agressively in that you control your ride not the fear of the cars around you. I also think a headlight modulator helps in the big city.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah well I go to work at 6:30am which would put me on the freeway for about 10 miles its not that bad and I see bikes going down there all the time. I guess I just need to get out there and use my motorcycle safety course training. But yeah I agree about the stop light. I mostly would just ride to work on nice days and on weekends not during heavy traffic. Oh yeah and I'm out by 4 so I kinda beat the rush before it gets really bad. Thanks!

· Registered
2,429 Posts
I find side roads that may or may not take me directly home. One that I particulary like takes me 27 minutes longer, but it seems like 27 minutes shorter.
I just enjoy it and there is almost no traffic on it.
In the below map, the yellow/green line is the longer but more enjoyable ride.
The green line takes only 7 minutes longer then the interstate. I very seldom ever take the interstate on my commute.

· Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm just north of Philly, and ride to work and back as much as I can -- 17 miles each way. In the morning I'm early enough to beat most of the rush and school buses, but in the afternoon no such luck.

Anyway, basically I just go with the flow.... Try to leave reasonable distance between the cager in front of me, and watch those turning left in front of me for telltale signs that they may be about to cut me off -- in other words, the usual stuff that we all should be doing all the time anyway.

Some guys at work wonder why I ride to work since it's in traffic etc., and yeah it's not the ideal riding environment, but I still enjoy the heck out of it (most of the time, anyway!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.