Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up at Old Orchard Beach last week when it was 100+ on Thursday and Friday and when I went out on Thursday in jeans I sweated my a$$ off so on Friday went out in shorts and every time the fan kicked on it felt like someone put a blowtorch on my ankles. Think I'll just wear boots with shorts next time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
See alot of people doing it, but I would never wear anything less than jeans on a bike. I was sweating this weekend too (110 heat index), but I like having skin so I just deal with mother f-ing nature :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Regular jeans won't protect too much, more than shorts but don't think that they will do a lot for your legs. Rode in shorts a couple of times and yeah...it gets hotter with the shorts then in jeans I think.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
See alot of people doing it, but I would never wear anything less than jeans on a bike. I was sweating this weekend too (110 heat index), but I like having skin so I just deal with mother f-ing nature :D
Agree

Here temps this time of the year is 95-110, June through September. But happly rarely more than 30% humidity. So 0 Index. Today will be typical July day at 105. Only way to beat the heat is A. Don't Stop, B. drive the cage. Not sure how they work in high Humidity but you could look into a "Cool Vest" or other cooling clothing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Watch out for the pipes!

I've only worn shorts twice on the bike, for quick trips and I always hit my leg against the pipe. Not fun.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Watch out for the pipes!

I've only worn shorts twice on the bike, for quick trips and I always hit my leg against the pipe. Not fun.
Pipes can be an issue with Jeans. Have about 6 pairs with holes behind the knee and at the ankle from my old Samsom pipes. Thats WITH heatshields.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rode once in shorts, also hit the pipe getting off, just grazed it, still left a nice long light burn, and a not so nice feeling at the time...

·
Registered
790 Posts
For those of you who will only ride in jeans, rather than shorts, think back to when you were a kid. I'm sure everyone remembers, one time or another, running around and falling on concrete or asphalt. Falling and putting holes in the knees of your jeans. You were probably traveling at the break neck speeds of what? 3 mph? If you rip up your jeans when you trip and fall, how much protection do you think they're really going to offer in a motorcycle accident when you're traveling 45+mph. ****, even 25mph is probably going to skin you up pretty good. I regularly ride in shorts. I've yet to burn myself on the pipes on my shadow. I've caught the pipes on a couple of other bikes, though. In that instance, jeans would probably be helpful. But, don't kid yourself that your Levi's or Calvin Kleins are going to prevent any major road rash.

As for the heat, I think that will come down to personal preference. Once it gets hot enough that ambient temps are comparable to the heat coming off the motor, it's all a wash anyway. 30 minutes or an hour on a motorcycle in that kind of heat and you'll be looking for a manpon to keep all that butt sweat from soaking the back of whatever kind of clothing you choose.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Shorts vs pant. Helmet vs NO helmet. HD vs everybody. All the same arguement. Either you are for or against and no amount of facts will change your mind.

How about we discuss how to combat heat. I say wet pair of jeans will keep you cool better than shorts.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Heck, I just ride naked...
Please!Please...NO PICS!
I saw a story on the news about a guy wearing a ladies bathing suit around town on a crotch rocket:shock:. It was disturbing to watch! I dont know how or want to know how to post that video! I am sure two people will post it and a dozen or so will start whining about it:p
Coop

·
Registered
561 Posts
Shorts vs pant. Helmet vs NO helmet. HD vs everybody. All the same arguement. Either you are for or against and no amount of facts will change your mind.

How about we discuss how to combat heat. I say wet pair of jeans will keep you cool better than shorts.
Sort of like a wine bota...the air around it, drying the water causes a cooling effect.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
At work I'm required to wear long jeans, so I wear them everywhere. I also prefer them on the bike anyway (especially the VT1100 because it was tall, I'm short, so I was already touching the rear pipe with my leg when stopped) to keep from accidentally burning myself. Jeans also provide great sun protection for your legs. No they won't do much in an accident, but I'm not worried about that.

With all that said, the temps don't get into the 100's here very often.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Likewise, was considering using jean shorts on a 120mile trip this past friday pulling a trailer, after I thought about it I realized I'd rather be hot and miserable than skinless and downright pissed at myself.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I wear shorts while riding. No big deal.

And yes, I am aware of the risks....and no, don't preach to me about it. As gat803's sig line states:

If you believe "Safety is first" why are you riding a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,089 Posts
I wear shorts while riding. No big deal.

And yes, I am aware of the risks....and no, don't preach to me about it. As gat803's sig line states:

If you believe "Safety is first" why are you riding a motorcycle?
I figure if you spend a lot of time planning for the worst, it's gonna happen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wear jeans 90% of the time. Shorts very occasionally (i.e. short trips to the store or something). As long as you drink plenty of water I think you just get used to the heat (of course I had an A/Cless car for 4 years before learning to ride and have spent another 4 years riding). It gets bad, especially in the summers here in South TX, but I just sweat through it.

As for the protection? I took a spill at 30mph early on in my career, and I was so glad I was wearing jeans and a rain jacket at the time (promise of rain on the way, not actually raining). I skinned up my elbow and my knee, put a tear in the jeans that ended up ruining them, but I was able to get up and move the bike. Didn't even bleed that bad, after I washed them off they only oozed for 15 minutes or so. That same fall convinced me to forever stick with FFH as well considering I chin-planted too.

It's all personal preference though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts