Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...just sucks. Don't get me wrong, still a lot more challenging and fun than driving a car in the rain, but man, arriving at your destination cold and soaked to the bone is just miserable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Gotta gear-up for rain = FF helmet, waterproof jacket (would not be leather), waterproof pants, boots, gloves etc.
Even then, sometimes something will let in some rain at higher speeds.
Used to do a lotta bad weather riding back when my moto was my only ride...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I am not that far from you (1.5 hours or so) and my daughter is at Kutztown. The weather we've been having S*U*C*K*S!! Cold, rain, clouds. I've been getting out as much as I can but I don't get on the bike when there is more than a 50% chance of rain. Not as much because I don't want to get wet but more because I don't like driving on wet roads - in a car or on a bike.

You my friend have a bigger obsticle to worry about. Watch for those buggys!

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Helmet, rain gear, waterproof boots and gloves.

I wear the first by law all the time anyway (stupid laws), and the gloves and boots I wear when it's fall/winter/spring are waterproof anyway. I just keep the rain gear in one of my bags. No sweat.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Yep! Carry my rain gear with me. You get used to throwing it on while on the side of the highway. My boots are waterproof so no problem. And if it's summer and hot I'm wearing flip flops...my feet are waterproof.
Another thing...I don't "skimp" on rain gear. I buy top line stuff so it last and is dependable.
Yeah...gear up for it! :-D

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I WILL say that the most annoying thing about riding in the rain is that the bug splatters on my visor and wind screen tend to make water droplets stick to them and that annoys me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's all about the gear.

Before going on a long trip awhile back, I made a point of getting some good rain gear, it was one of the best things I've done.

When your several hundred miles from home and get caught in a rain storm, it's better to gear up and stay warm and dry. Cold and miserable takes the fun out of a ride.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
I can't believe anyone would wear flip flops on a motorbike..Darwin in action..

John.
You win the 'dumbest thing posted today' award. Congrats.

Pray tell, what's wrong with wearing flip flops while riding? Personally, I find upshifting to be a pain in the toe, which is why when I ride with open toes, I go with these:

You ever ride in Kansas? Ever ride the routes he rides?

No?

Self-righteous, judgmental... good stuff.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not that far from you (1.5 hours or so) and my daughter is at Kutztown. The weather we've been having S*U*C*K*S!! Cold, rain, clouds. I've been getting out as much as I can but I don't get on the bike when there is more than a 50% chance of rain. Not as much because I don't want to get wet but more because I don't like driving on wet roads - in a car or on a bike.

You my friend have a bigger obsticle to worry about. Watch for those buggys!
This morning before I rode to school, I checked the weather and it came back with a 40% chance of precipitation. So great, more than likely it's gonna stay dry, right? WRONG. About 20 minutes before I left school, I looked out the window and the heavens had opened up. Fortunately, I only live 3 miles from the school, but was still a miserable trip!

As for rain gear, I generally try to avoid riding in the rain whenever possible, and feel like an expensive rain suit might be money poorly spent.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You win the 'dumbest thing posted today' award. Congrats.

Pray tell, what's wrong with wearing flip flops while riding? Personally, I find upshifting to be a pain in the toe, which is why when I ride with open toes, I go with these:

You ever ride in Kansas? Ever ride the routes he rides?

No?

Self-righteous, judgmental... good stuff.
While he may have jumped to conclusions, good luck walking within a month if you lay it down at highway speeds wearing those bad boys.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
While he may have jumped to conclusions, good luck walking within a month if you lay it down at highway speeds wearing those bad boys.
Why would I lay it down at highway speeds wearing those? Why would I lay it down at all? Motorcycles are supposed to be ridden with the tires on the road, rider on top, silly.

Please, please, please... let this start an ATGATT or similar debate, please, please, please...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I rode TO work and HOME from in a DOWNPOUR. During... just misting. WFT?? So bad on the ride home on the highway we were doing 20. One guy roles his window down and yells "Don't you check the weather??" I flip my FF Sheild up and say Yep, that's what the rain gear is for, I'm dry.

The only issue I ever have is at the slower speeds I seem to fog up unless I'm cracked at least one finger width. even WITH defogger. Any thoughts on that one? Besides getting a wind shield for the bike.....

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
no offense but aren't sperrys...chick shoes? :shock:
:shock: Hey! The flip flops I wear are made by Sperry! Sperry Top-Sider flip flops. Best d*mn motorcycle flip flops on the market. And for your information there sport...you lay a bike down at 65mph on the highway wearing anything but $5,000.00 worth of professional flat track gear...and you ain't gonna be walking for a month any way. Flip flops or not...you're are pretty much f*cked. :p...:lol:

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
:shock: Hey! The flip flops I wear are made by Sperry! Sperry Top-Sider flip flops. Best d*mn motorcycle flip flops on the market. And for your information there sport...you lay a bike down at 65mph on the highway wearing anything but $5,000.00 worth of professional flat track gear...and you ain't gonna be walking for a month any way. Flip flops or not...you're are pretty much f*cked. :p...:lol:

Awww, c'mon!!! There goes the false sense of safety!!! Now people are going to be too terrified to ride!

BTW, great point. You need track gear if you want to walk away from anything at highway speeds. Even then, it would take a LOT of luck. You hit a pillar or tree at 55+ and you are toast no matter what you wear.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I can't believe anyone would wear flip flops on a motorbike..Darwin in action..

John.
:shock: Sorry if I don't ride around planning for a crash son. If I was one of you boys that are afraid falling over and felt safer wearing all that BS gear I'd...take the F150 4 X 4 so I could drink beer and smoke pot all the way to where ever I was going. :p...:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.