Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For this riding season I want to buy a good riding jacket. I'm more worried about comfort and safety rather than looks. I've heard about kevlar reinforced jackets, and they sound like a good idea. What do you think?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wear a Joe Rocket ballistic series which are kevlar with armour in the shoulders and elbows. Haven't gone skidding in it (knock on wood), so I can't speak to its durability in a crash. It is comfortable and fairly warm. The liner is removable for warm weather riding as well. DO size up to allow for additional layering when riding in the cold times.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The wife got me the First Gear Kilaminjaro, and it's been great! Waterproof, vented, removable liner. Ridden with it in 40F-90F. It is a littelemuch at 90F with very high humidity though, but the bungie cords held it on top of the daypack just fine that day.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I am very interested in what the folks over at Cycleport. Their Air Mesh Kevlar is pricey but from all the reading I could do on it, it's worth it. A quality product. It comes in a Hi-Viz yellow, though the website doesn't show that. But it does ... I asked.

I'm going for the kevlar pants first. I have a Joe Rocket jacket right now. But once I've saved my nickels and dimes, I'll get the jacket too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are a lot of riding jackets available. First choice is which kind of material - leather or man-made? Then do you want one for winter, summer, or a little of both?

I have the man-made jackets exclusively. Leather is great for cows, and is fine for show, but when it comes to protection, I prefer something that is engineered for the ride. Hence, man-made fabrics with armour in place.

For summers and warm weather riding, the mesh open weave is a cool thing to have. Breese goes right through, cooler than a tee shirt. But not too good in rain or cold. Thats where a liner come in. Get a mesh style with a removable liner.

I started with a Joe Rocket Phoenix. Next is a First Gear Mesh Tex. Then an Olympia. Each was a little more expensive than the last, but even the cheapest was good. For the buck, I would recommend the First Gear - comfortable, has a liner, well made, and not all that expensive. http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/...st_gear/meshtex_2_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

A lilttle better made, more pockets, etc is the Olympia brand.
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

Courtec is also good, but the ones I have from them are the waterproof style, not the air mesh.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Cortech mesh jacket with armor along the spine, shoulders, elbows and lower back. It's got a winter thermal lining and also a rain lining. I live in Florida and although we haven't hit the really hot weather yet, the couple times I've been out in the warmer weather of late, the jacket has good ventilation and keeps me cool.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
With you being up in the cold climates you might want to consider this. Most of the jackets that are being talked about are jackets that go to the "beltline" of ones body. In cool temps this IS a problem...things hang out. :oops: Then you get colder a lot faster. :shock: Hence the 3/4 length.

You might consider a 3/4 length jacket with many of the same features as mentioned by others. Plus you get more pockets and a lot more versatility for your area/climate. Yes, I know it gets hot up there (been there...got hot), but for those occasional times a "mesh jacket" is great. Having both is ideal but costly. But there's other options out there in lightweight "shirt/jackets" with armour. I got some of those.

Just giving you insight into keeping comfy in various temps and weather. Got some wild temp/weather extremes here in PA.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
I bought a cortech denim jacket last year. I haven't tried it in warmer weather yet but with the liner in and the vents open it's been pretty comfortable so far. Thing feels heavy to carry around; it has armor in the right spots and the denim seems like it's 1/2 in thick. I like it so far....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, leather would look nice but it's not my first concern. I was thinking more along the lines of a denim look. You've given me some things to think about that I hadn't considered. Like getting a size larger so I can layer up in cooler weather. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.