Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out ridin' makin' my rounds today on my vlx600 because my car was out of gas and the shadow was the only thing here with gas in it lol....well, the wind was terrible...and i was weaving back and forth down the road cause of the wind, i probably looked as if i was drunk with the top wobbling back and forth and goin from one side of the lane to the other....the wind was just terrible!!!

i stayed on my side of the road, BUT, i got to thinking, what if a cop got behind me? does anyone know how the law works in this situation? can he write a ticket?

Kevin Allen

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you are driving in a lane, it's the driver's choice where he/she wants to drive in that lane, whether it be the middle, the toward the right, or toward the left near the center line. I also don't think there are any laws against drifting from side to side in your lane. A police officer might pull you over for some other issue (like suspicion of you being intoxicated) to find out why you're swerving from side to side in a lane or whatever. Also probably 9 times out of 10 if you explain yourself (and the situation with the wind on the bike) they will tell you to ride safely and have a nice day. Basically if you're not a danger to yourself or others on the road, the police won't care.

G

·
I would think in extremely windy conditions most officers would already have a basic understanding of the effect on lighter vehicles like motorcycles

·
Registered
6 Posts
there are no traffic laws or violations that you can be pulled over for in that situation. The law states that you must cross over the clearly marked lane divider lines on two seperate occasions, without the intent to make a lane change. Based on the current weather conditions and the fact that you were riding a bike I would think a police officer would let you go. But as for probable cause to make a traffic stop, just you weaving in your lane does not give probable cause.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
First, I think CrazyDave is right.
Most officers know if they are behind you that the wind is pushing vehicles around.

Second, for those who say they cannot pull you over, that is flat out wrong.

Laws vary from state to state, but if you are drifting wildly from inside
line to outside line... just because you don't cross in to another lane
does NOT mean they can't pull you over.

Again, it depends on laws of state, but you can bet that drunk drivers
don't always cross the lines... and they can and do get pulled over.

BTW, it's very easy to tell, by watching a vehicle, if it's a rider problem (drunk, etc) or a wind problem.
A rider, if drunk and weaving in the lane, will generally lean in with the bike to which ever direction he/she is drifting.
When you are riding and a gust of wind blows you to the side,
you generally will try to counter act the wind gust and lean the opposite direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a violation on virtually EVERY vehicle that gives an officer the probable cause necessary to make a traffic stop. A violation can vary from a missing lug nut on a car to a tail light or turn signal being out to a frame around a license plate to an officer's experience telling him/her that a car (or bike) weaving a certain way may indicate a drunk driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can be pulled over for reckless driving period . But most cops are aware of windy conditions ,not to mention they feel the same thing as you do with the winds . Try driving a large mt box truck in the wind. Ive seen them blow over

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.