Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the armor thread, lots of good advice and it got me thinking about riding pants. I have been looking at them online and yesterday at CycleGear. I am now wearing chaps over jeans, and have rain gear that I thankfully have not had to use. CycleGear has their brand on sale for about $90 or 1/2 off, tried them on, very basic, no exterior pockets, removable liner. They did have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego's but too small for me, I did like the look and feel of them. So I started looking online at Revzilla, wow do they get expensive quick! :shock:

I really like the look of the Olympia Rangers, armor at the knees and hips, very adjustable, 2000-D Cordura on the knees and seat for lots of protection, removable liner, and over $200! Wondering if anyone wears these or something similar and do you think they are worth the money? I am sure someone will ask if I think my a$$ is worth it, yes it is! But are they, is the question. For the record, I wear a Transitions 2 jacket in hi-viz. (Guess that makes me a Power Ranger ;)) So I don't mind spending the money, if the more expensive one are worth the investment. What says the horde?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a set of RevIt! pants and jacket that I've used for the last 5 years. Both have removable liners and have proven themselves to be really good in the wet (it rains a lot in NZ).

It all really depends on the kind of riding you do, as what you really need. It is worth spending the cash for good quality gear to protect you from the elements and in the unlikely event you fall off.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just bought a pair of Cabelas Dry Plus over pants with thinsulate. They are not made for motorcycles, but boating in the winter. So they don't have the built in armor. But these look to be warm and dry, which is what I wanted. Full length zippers, make it easy to step into them with, and they are well made. At 130 bucks, they are on the "cheap" side of biking pants.
Dan

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have Olympia Airglide pants and like them a lot. I like the Olympia liners, they don't get hot and sticky like most others and can be worn seperate from the jackets/pants if you want.
I wear my Airglide pants down into the 40's without needing the liner. Not sure how long the liner would keep you warm but depending what temps you ride in they might work? Easier to justify the cost if you can use pair year round.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wear Carhart pants because i can wear them at work in meetings and on job sites:

Carhartt - Product - Men‘s Canvas Khaki Relaxed Fit Pant

and sometimes pull these kevlar sleeves over my knees on long highway rides (under the pants):

Deprecated Browser Error

The sleeves make it much warmer in cool temps and are significantly more kelvar on the knees than what you would get in one of those ready-made motorcycle jeans.

Spencer

(don't really need rain protection in san diego;) )

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Good Jeans, if cold add chaps, if real cold add Long Undies.

Nothing wrong with a riding suit or armor, BUT I don't dress to crash. I dress according to the weather and comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Good Jeans, if cold add chaps, if real cold add Long Undies.

Nothing wrong with a riding suit or armor, BUT I don't dress to crash. I dress according to the weather and comfort.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Just replaced my old Harley brand chaps with a pair of Vulcan chaps I bought from LeatherUp. If I had to go beyond wearing leathers and a helmet (any kind), I wouldn't much care for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wear full leather Pants, CYA ya know. They have full length leg zippers for easy access. They are Naked Leather from Chillhowee.com.
I am a fan of the abrasion resistance of leather, denim with or without long undies is no protection from the road.
I've been plenty warm down to 32*.
On the con side, no armor.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I use Bohn armor which, for lack of a better term, is armored underwear and shirts. They come in different weights, have removable pads, and are washable. A bit pricey but definitely the most comfortable security I've tried, and with regular jeans no one even knows I'm wearing armor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I prefer my chaps for comfort & ease of getting on & off the bike. But, I have a pair of Firstgear over-pants. They do work very well in the rain, though after a few hours the butt will start to soak through. Pretty good knee & hip pads, but with the pads do take up more room in the saddlebags

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.