Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2009 Aero 750
128 Posts
Age? CognitiveDecline?, PhysicalDegeneration? - It Aint the Age, its the LifeStyle, Just dont Let it Happen...
I'm 100% in agreement with @KaBob. Mindset is everything.

I had a stroke 4 years ago. But I'm not a "stroke survivor". Learned to walk again and was back to work in a month.

I have the physical symptoms of diabetes, but I don't think of myself as a diabetic.

I turned 65 last year but don't consider myself old.

In the emergency room where I work, people are obsessed with their age, poor health and illnesses. They become their illnesses. Almost with pride they announce to me that they are a "Diabetic", "Stroke Patient", "Kidney Dialysis Patient" or some other illness. Some just tell me that they are old and list off the 10+ illnesses they have.

I just smile, stick a bandage on their booboo and wish them well.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get on my beloved Shadow and ride until neither one of us can feel the wind or road any longer.

Our bodies change physically as we age so it is a good idea to recognize our limitations, as many of you here have said. But until your body permanently kisses the earth from where it came, do what you love.

Get out and ride, however that may be for you.

· Registered
2009 Aero 750
128 Posts
I'm 65 and got back into riding last summer. I now consider my bike some of the best "medicine" one could take. Besides the "wind therapy", it demands my total concentration which keeps my mind sharp. It's better than any kind of puzzle therapy one could do. I plan to keep riding until I prove to be an unsafe motorcyclist. But I plan to be in the ground before that happens! :)

Reactions: kesanders
1 - 3 of 3 Posts