Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2022 Shadow Aero Ron Jeremy Edition
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've mentioned before, I'm 62 and riding again after 6-7 years of "cage life".

I've been concerned with cognitive decline as I grow older and memory becomes an issue, and not as alert as I once was.

Been heavy on the caffeine, a real blessing, and every supplement available on Amazon.

Seems riding again has been a help, as I'm forced to focus 100% if I want to survive the dangerous Tucson roads and byways. I can no longer relax behind the wheel in complacency and let my mind wander to other things. Head on a swivel. Where are my feet? Hands covering brake and clutch. Downshift now. Feet up. Feet down. Pistol secured. Turn signal cancelled. Oil slicks avoided. Kickstand up. Kickstand down. AND Don't drop the ****ing thing.

All things I haven't had to think about for years. It helps clear the fog and jump starting my brain.

What say you?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First "adventure" I had was dropping the damned thing the second day I owned it and screwing up my back.

Maybe that is why I'm a bit paranoid about staying focused. ONE wrong move and BAM. On the ground I go.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's probably why it's common to recommend to folks either getting in to the saddle for the first time or after a long hiatus is to get a used bike that already has a dent or two. Most of us have done that! I would highly recommend watching a couple of videos on the proper way to pick up a downed bike. Us old guys can't be too careful. Sore backs take away from riding time. What bike are you riding?
The one in my profile pic, 2022 Shadow Aero.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes - at 62 my reflexes aren't exactly what they used to be either.
Have learned to add additional following distance and prioritize situational awareness to minimize riding drama. Still manage to have a ball anytime I'm out riding and have found the same habits translate well when driving. Having a mentally challenging job, hobbies and a red-head for a wife really help keep my brain cells active too! ;)
It might be politically incorrect to mention this, but I've been a shooter and gun nut for 35 years, and focusing on marksmanship and safety really helps my mind stay sharp as well.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Age? CognitiveDecline?, PhysicalDegeneration? - It Aint the Age, its the LifeStyle, Just dont Let it Happen...
At 73 am still hittin on all cylinders! Most probablly cause the mid-life crisis(bout 40) when your 30lbs overweight, eggshaped, fatbellied outShape and look around at most older than you and see It only gets worse - if ya Dont Change your Ways. I was fallin apart from workin at a desk(systems & programming), indoors, no windows & liftin nothin heaver the a pencil. I was liferally fallin apart an not even a faint shadow of the healthy, cornfield county farm boy i used to be. A return to the GreatOutdoors and a disciplined exercise plan turned that around - I just aint going easily into that eodalife goodnight!
View attachment 300243
Date's included in snip, < 2yrs ago, and I aint changed much, no bread or alcohol thru the week(exceptionsof course), basic freeweight 10 BigMuscleBasic routine, do physical Work and gettin outside in the GreatOutdoor every chance I get!
Hey, I got a goal, am gonna stay in shape and try to wear ma Shadow out!
(Oh yea, exercise hurts but it absolutely has its benefits for both mind and body)
You know the sayin/advice: Life aint easy - Stay Strong and keep Breathin as Long as Possible!
Tomorrow's more important than Yesterday - Always Forward ->>>
"At 73 am still hittin on all cylinders! "

Well, its only 2 cylinders, so....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts