Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,207 Posts
As is often around here I take the opposite view. I ride for the joy of riding. I'm very close to your same age, have been riding since my late teens. Maybe it's because I have been riding for as long as I have, but I completely relax when I'm on two wheels. Sure, when approaching intersections I have to scan a bit more, eye ball other drivers to ensure they see me, but all in all.... I'm sittin' back chillin'.
Now as for the memory thing. Yep! I find myself heading down the road and I forgot where I'm heading to but I just keep the front tire heading forward and sooner or later I'll figure it out. Orrrrr, I'll find someplace to sit back, have a beer. Either way, I'm good.

Nice to see you're back in the saddle. Hope to see many threads from you telling us about some of your two wheeled adventures.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
First "adventure" I had was dropping the damned thing the second day I owned it and screwing up my back.

Maybe that is why I'm a bit paranoid about staying focused. ONE wrong move and BAM. On the ground I go.
That's probably why it's common to recommend to folks either getting in to the saddle for the first time or after a long hiatus is to get a used bike that already has a dent or two. Most of us have done that! I would highly recommend watching a couple of videos on the proper way to pick up a downed bike. Us old guys can't be too careful. Sore backs take away from riding time. What bike are you riding?

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Well, I`m pushing 70, and I will say this...............................................................
'

What was the question again?????
he asked..... uhhh, I forgot..... let's go riding! Somebody said something about a redhead:devilish:

· Registered
3,207 Posts
I’m 57 and I have noticed a slight decline in abilities, fortunately they have not declined as much as the body pains have increased.

I have always been a casual rider, taking few chances and no stunt riding. Now that I am older the shenanigans has gotten even less. Fortunately I live in a fairly low populated area and since I am already in the country the enjoyable traffic free rides start when I turn out of the driveway.

I have increased my following distance and go to yellow alert when I do ride in the more populated areas but as soon as I get back to open roads I go right back to relaxed.

A Gold Wing Trike is on my radar for when I retire. I have noticed that after a 40 mile or more ride that when I am maneuvering the bike my hips ache and sometimes have difficulty walking the bike.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking the same thing. My balance is not as good as it once was, and darn near everything hurts. Its just those trikes are so expensive!
I don't have any personal experience but I've been told my more than one person that a trike is one of the worse rides one can have if traveling any kind of distance. With that said, I know a couple of people who ride those CanAm Spyder's who say they are excellent for touring around on. Even Mrs. Squidchief expressed a mild interest in riding on the back of one.

Reactions: PhantomRider64

· Registered
3,207 Posts
@KaBob and @mtblair : heck yeay. Great stories.. I walk, can no longer run, lift, watch what I eat and try to keep an eye on my alcohol intake. My doctor says my weight is good, my cholesterol is a little high and my vitamin D is a little low. I quit skiing, ride very little dirt anymore but I will not slow down riding my street bikes. As a concession to my wife I've given up my rocket bikes but I'll ride dual sport until the day they lay me down.... hopefully.
We had a member here years back who once wrote that before each ride he kissed his wife in case he didn't make it back alive. If I felt that way about riding I'd never throw another leg over a bike again. I kiss my wife every time I walk out the door because I love her, not because of what might happen.
I just lost a good friend. A week ago he looked great. Next week we bury him. Life is short, let's enjoy the heck out of it. I just hope that when it's my time, the taxidermy man will have a heck of a hard time getting the smile off my face!

· Registered
3,207 Posts
I just set up an old guy (72 years old) with a race car. Granted, it's in a lower class, but he was psyched and happy. Most difficult aspect for him was crawling through the door to get into the seat. Gonna have to look at a couple of options to make that an easier task,

· Registered
3,207 Posts
By the time you notice something out of the ordinary because you are 'zoned out' you're already late to the show and forced to react, rather being pro-active.
This is something I notice a lot of folks cannot, or do not grasp. Thinking several steps ahead allows you to 'see' what might happen before anything starts. It buys you time. When things go sideways time is your enemy, that's why thinking a few steps ahead is so important. That's why slowing down just a little if you think you are heading into a situation you're not sure about is vital.
Imaging approaching an intersection and you have a green light. Car in the opposing lane has their left turn signal on. Nothing out of the ordinary is going on, you're 'zoned out'. You're not checking your mirrors, totally unaware of what is next to you and behind you. The car turning in front of you grabs your attention, except now, you are reacting to a car in front of you a second or two later than if you had slowed just a bit and anticipated that turn earlier.
That is no way to ride or drive.
For me, many of the posts here sum up why I love the west. I can get on the back of my bike and just cruise. I live in a small town in a rural county. Sure, I can find myself a hood ornament on someone's car, but the odds are less likely than those of you who live in more urban areas.
I'm not sure I'd want to ride if I constantly had to remain in a defensive posture.

As to being a senior and having cognitive decline... yep, that's me. I'm getting dumber by the day. The doctors tell me my brain got a bit scrambled during my last couple of trips to the 'Stan's. I'll live with it, can't reverse what's already happened. When I find myself at an intersection and I have no idea where I'm at, maybe then I'll think about selling my bikes. Until then....

As an aside I'm packing more electronics and spare batteries to help me find my way home this upcoming hunting trip.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Something tells me a compass would get you home just fine. Unless there is a disruption in the space / time continuum.
How timely. Perfect. We all easily forget that we're more capable than we think. Electronics are nice, but not a necessity. I often relate how I traveled coast to coast many times with little more than maps and travelers checks. No credit cards, no cell phones... there was this pretty lady in a 7/11... but that's a whole different story.

Gps/navigation steps via Bluetooth into my helmet is nice but a paper map will get you home every time.

Garmin is nice in the back country but an old school compass will get me back to base camp every time as well.

Thanks for the wakeup call @vito

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Sure, you catch a flash of a car coming into your lane. Are you riding their rear quarter panel / in their blind spot? Do you have a clear escape lane? Can you slow quickly without the car behind you hitting you? Do you know if there is a car behind you? Figuring these things out AFTER the car drifts towards you is 100% the wrong way and more dangerous way to ride.

Is the car ahead in the next lane closing on a slower car in front of it? If yes, wait to pass because sure as **** that car is gonna change lanes to pass and won't look back good enough to see you. If you wait, nothing happens. If you don't notice the situation and start to pass, you get cut off or sideswiped. That's the difference between being aware and 'relaxing' or zoning out. Nothing 'LOL' about any of that.
I guess I look at things different than most. I don't ride as if everyone out there is "trying to kill me ". If I felt that way I would never ride again. I try to be aware of my surroundings, I have faith in my abilities and I enjoy being out on two wheels.

Reactions: PhantomRider64

· Registered
3,207 Posts
That is a navigation tool I would like to learn how to use.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be prepared to dedicate days and days and days.... celestial navigation is no joke! Hard to near impossible to do if you have any light pollution around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts