Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
I saw an old guy on a Rune. I mean, I think this guy was 90. We were at a road side bar, bbq place. This guy came out walking so slow towards the bike. He took forever to get on it. Went to the middle of the road while he got situated. Turned the throttle and whooooosh, he was gone. It was like a turtle gettng on a rocket and taking off. I'm sure he was having a blast.

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
Here, all drivers over 80 must have a medical examination every 2 years that includes eyesight, cognition and overall health. I think the age should be 70. I am riding the VT a lot less (no rain, no nighttime, no passenger, no long distance) and have invested in a bike with many more safety features. My riding style has also matured into a more sightseeing, relaxed process.

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,508 Posts
Pushing 69 I feel more mature about my riding and always using my mirrors like a "trucker" since the install of the Back Off brake modulator I added 6 yrs. ago which I exercise like rattling of the rattlesnake. Now like the guy on the Rune, that would be me. Nothing sweeter than a accelerating flat 6 first thing in the morning. :giggle: Being Type II I have to have my game thus caffeine and supplements are also part of my regime. My biggest issue now I need to get out walking on a regular schedule to get the winter rust off but living on the prairie and Indiana illustrious weather is in full normal display so far. Patiently waiting on Morel season to begin. :giggle:

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,201 Posts
Here, all drivers over 80 must have a medical examination every 2 years that includes eyesight, cognition and overall health. I think the age should be 70. I am riding the VT a lot less (no rain, no nighttime, no passenger, no long distance) and have invested in a bike with many more safety features. My riding style has also matured into a more sightseeing, relaxed process.
I'm not for more regulations but I have to agree with you on that type of medical exams. It sounds like you are smart enough to ride within your safety and comfort zone. I wish everyone would do that as they get older. I'm 57 so not too far behind. I got my CDL 3 years ago and had to go through drivers training for that. There were things I forgot about or never even realized over all the years of driving. I am on the blood pressure pills so I have to go for a physical every year. After getting my CDL my classifications for safety are, motorcycle- you drive first for your safety, regular auto- you drive for everyones safety, commercial vehicles- you drive for the safety of others.
May God have mercy on us all and keep us healthy enough to keep riding safely.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Cash waiting for the next 'worlds fastest production bike.' Knock on a black box, but once a car changes lanes and I see it out the corner of my eye, I don't have to shift down. Bye the time it's beginning to happen, the car is a dot in the mirror. E-Bike is the way to go. I'll take Mag over compression. More like WATT car?

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,938 Posts
Still riding at 68 and like @squidchief says >> "Maybe it's because I have been riding for as long as I have, but I completely relax when I'm on two wheels".

Point well made @RBW >> "68 here, riding for a year, love it. It has made me a better cage driver"...

@swifty2014 says it like it is too >> "And I don't ride if I don't feel on top of the game. Can't go on forever and I sure don't want a wheelchair to be my next ride"

Yeah, I`m a bit more aware of the increase of idiots nowaday...

Lets RIDE,
Dennis

· Registered
4 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I'm 62 and riding again after 6-7 years of "cage life".

I've been concerned with cognitive decline as I grow older and memory becomes an issue, and not as alert as I once was.

Been heavy on the caffeine, a real blessing, and every supplement available on Amazon.

Seems riding again has been a help, as I'm forced to focus 100% if I want to survive the dangerous Tucson roads and byways. I can no longer relax behind the wheel in complacency and let my mind wander to other things. Head on a swivel. Where are my feet? Hands covering brake and clutch. Downshift now. Feet up. Feet down. Pistol secured. Turn signal cancelled. Oil slicks avoided. Kickstand up. Kickstand down. AND Don't drop the ****ing thing.

All things I haven't had to think about for years. It helps clear the fog and jump starting my brain.

What say you?
At 75 I ride whenever the weather is good. Sure I used to ride in the rain but now I ride a bit slower and pay more attention to what's around me. But, as long as I can ride safely I'm not going to quit.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,801 Posts
I’m 57 and I have noticed a slight decline in abilities, fortunately they have not declined as much as the body pains have increased.

I have always been a casual rider, taking few chances and no stunt riding. Now that I am older the shenanigans has gotten even less. Fortunately I live in a fairly low populated area and since I am already in the country the enjoyable traffic free rides start when I turn out of the driveway.

I have increased my following distance and go to yellow alert when I do ride in the more populated areas but as soon as I get back to open roads I go right back to relaxed.

A Gold Wing Trike is on my radar for when I retire. I have noticed that after a 40 mile or more ride that when I am maneuvering the bike my hips ache and sometimes have difficulty walking the bike.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,211 Posts
I’m 57 and I have noticed a slight decline in abilities, fortunately they have not declined as much as the body pains have increased.

I have always been a casual rider, taking few chances and no stunt riding. Now that I am older the shenanigans has gotten even less. Fortunately I live in a fairly low populated area and since I am already in the country the enjoyable traffic free rides start when I turn out of the driveway.

I have increased my following distance and go to yellow alert when I do ride in the more populated areas but as soon as I get back to open roads I go right back to relaxed.

A Gold Wing Trike is on my radar for when I retire. I have noticed that after a 40 mile or more ride that when I am maneuvering the bike my hips ache and sometimes have difficulty walking the bike.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking the same thing. My balance is not as good as it once was, and darn near everything hurts. Its just those trikes are so expensive!
I don't have any personal experience but I've been told my more than one person that a trike is one of the worse rides one can have if traveling any kind of distance. With that said, I know a couple of people who ride those CanAm Spyder's who say they are excellent for touring around on. Even Mrs. Squidchief expressed a mild interest in riding on the back of one.

Reactions: PhantomRider64

· Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
546 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. My balance is not as good as it once was, and darn near everything hurts. Its just those trikes are so expensive!
I'm about to turn 54, so maybe the young one in this group, but I can say I do not have the faith in my reflexes that I had when I was younger. So I plan it better. I take more steps to reduce risk than I did. It's all good. I'm slow and I enjoy it.

I think if that time comes I'd rather have a sidecar than a trike.

· Registered
713 Posts
Age? CognitiveDecline?, PhysicalDegeneration? - It Aint the Age, its the LifeStyle, Just dont Let it Happen...
At 73 am still hittin on all cylinders! Most probablly cause the mid-life crisis(bout 40) when your 30lbs overweight, eggshaped, fatbellied outShape and look around at most older than you and see It only gets worse - if ya Dont Change your Ways. I was fallin apart from workin at a desk(systems & programming), indoors, no windows & liftin nothin heaver the a pencil. I was liferally fallin apart an not even a faint shadow of the healthy, cornfield county farm boy i used to be. A return to the GreatOutdoors and a disciplined exercise plan turned that around - I just aint going easily into that eodalife goodnight!
Jeans Photograph Plant Product Nature

Date's included in snip, < 2yrs ago, and I aint changed much, no bread or alcohol thru the week(exceptionsof course), basic freeweight 10 BigMuscleBasic routine, do physical Work and gettin outside in the GreatOutdoor every chance I get!
Hey, I got a goal, am gonna stay in shape and try to wear ma Shadow out!
(Oh yea, exercise hurts but it absolutely has its benefits for both mind and body)
You know the sayin/advice: Life aint easy - Stay Strong and keep Breathin as Long as Possible!
Tomorrow's more important than Yesterday - Always Forward ->>>

· Registered
2009 Aero 750
128 Posts
Age? CognitiveDecline?, PhysicalDegeneration? - It Aint the Age, its the LifeStyle, Just dont Let it Happen...
I'm 100% in agreement with @KaBob. Mindset is everything.

I had a stroke 4 years ago. But I'm not a "stroke survivor". Learned to walk again and was back to work in a month.

I have the physical symptoms of diabetes, but I don't think of myself as a diabetic.

I turned 65 last year but don't consider myself old.

In the emergency room where I work, people are obsessed with their age, poor health and illnesses. They become their illnesses. Almost with pride they announce to me that they are a "Diabetic", "Stroke Patient", "Kidney Dialysis Patient" or some other illness. Some just tell me that they are old and list off the 10+ illnesses they have.

I just smile, stick a bandage on their booboo and wish them well.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get on my beloved Shadow and ride until neither one of us can feel the wind or road any longer.

Our bodies change physically as we age so it is a good idea to recognize our limitations, as many of you here have said. But until your body permanently kisses the earth from where it came, do what you love.

Get out and ride, however that may be for you.

· Registered
3,211 Posts
@KaBob and @mtblair : heck yeay. Great stories.. I walk, can no longer run, lift, watch what I eat and try to keep an eye on my alcohol intake. My doctor says my weight is good, my cholesterol is a little high and my vitamin D is a little low. I quit skiing, ride very little dirt anymore but I will not slow down riding my street bikes. As a concession to my wife I've given up my rocket bikes but I'll ride dual sport until the day they lay me down.... hopefully.
We had a member here years back who once wrote that before each ride he kissed his wife in case he didn't make it back alive. If I felt that way about riding I'd never throw another leg over a bike again. I kiss my wife every time I walk out the door because I love her, not because of what might happen.
I just lost a good friend. A week ago he looked great. Next week we bury him. Life is short, let's enjoy the heck out of it. I just hope that when it's my time, the taxidermy man will have a heck of a hard time getting the smile off my face!

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,845 Posts
I will also add,
"Evidence indicates that consistently engaging in activities that involve learning new skills, solving problems, novel experiences, or that stretch the mind strategically are ways to potentially reduce risk of cognitive decline."

So riding, learning and performing maintenance, solving the traffic-oriented problems plus the novel experiences riding provides, and even forum participation, may reduce the effects of aging. Unfortunately, with generous use of spreadsheets for maintenance schedules, I still check monthly to see if I did yearly maintenance.

· Registered
713 Posts
SundayMorn(TihisSunMorn(today) - Am 3 weeks into & starting the 4th of six weeks of workinout that i do at least 3 times a yr.. Am not rigidly fanatic per routine, just find 3 times a yr with a full 6 week workout works well for me, Sun, tues & thurs work well and I'm ready for Fri HappyHr! Have had my oun weights for 30Yr, find it's just easier to workout at home - the change, go to gym, backhome Shower/Change just takes up too much time - just easier/faster to workout at home.
Dont lift heavyweights or anything i cant do 10-12 reps with. I do move right along however (with a stopwatch, actually a GymBoss timer), 45seconds between sets! (muchlike CircuitTraining), 10 exersizes times 3 sets each - 30 sets and i'm done in 30-450 min max, Yep, thats fast, tis a strain, just getser done with reasonable form as quick as possible...
For those the mention their Balance - there's a real good fix for that - Do Standing excersizes with Bar!
I do all excersizes Free weights with bar(cept front & back leglifts & benchpress) - Great for Bal & Control - will give ya great bal & surefootedness... Plus just standing bar work gets both arms, legs, back, abs/body and Bal all in one AND gets the workout done quicker!
Works For Me, and I aint in bad shape for an old man...
Wheel Automotive tire Exercise equipment Wood Machine

Just movin the bench out & setup is a warmup...
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Puttin it back in the corner is the relief of being Done!
Workin out at home at ones own convenience Is just easier...

For that MentalDecline - The Market is much more Interesting & Challenging than Crosswords!
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Urban design

I worked 40ys doin Systems & Programming for Others...
Now retired with time for my own interests , I put the computer to work on my own Investments.
I never made BigMoney, but I aint bad lettin the computer select what & where the better investments should be - that keeps one Sharp.
I obviously spend a lotta time on the puter, and our forum is a pleasent place view while waintin for the market to move...

Workout's over, now Brunch & Bloodies...
I have Jury Duty tomorrow, this ought be some .Interesting Free Entertainment(???-maybe))

21 - 40 of 111 Posts