Honda Shadow Forums banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

· Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,191 Posts
I ride DAILY. Seems to me that I'm getting better with each and every day above ground. Always learning others habits and how to predict their next move. Riding in to work between 3 and 4, the ones that wander and correct with no quick moves are the ones that need to stay off of their phones. The ones that made quick corrections are the ones that you need to look out for.

· Registered
712 Posts
Just had to post this pic a Tellico Lake just south a Knoxville - nota bad place to retire...
Took this this morning.
Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Afterglow

We're not that far (and downriver) from OakRidge (National Laboratory [AtomicCity]), USA)
It DOES Glow in the Dark!!!
And this aint nothin compared to FullMoon Nights! (MakesYaWonder?)

That downriver isnt exactly true, the majority of the watershed to the Little Tenn river(TellicoLake & above) comes from N Carolina, down the mtns along the Dragon, but the Loudon & Tellico TVA dams do dam the water level UP ~120+ft per Loudon & Tellico dams. The Tenn & Little Tenn river do join ABOVE the dams - so there is a connection.
Anyway, It does GLOW in the dark quite often.

· Registered
63 Posts
In my mid 60's and have to reply with a couple of stories:
I've never had a good memory. I've gotten lost in my back yard. Some thirty years ago, I was at a party with my now ex. I went to introduce her, said "this is my wife..." and my mind drew a blank. Unfortunately, my mouth kept going. I turned to her and said, "What IS your name?" Luckily my current wife has heard the story and jumps right in with "Hi! I'm Kathy!" I really don't deserve her.

As for cognitive decline, I'm fully aware that alzheimers runs in my family, but I'm reasonably good with that. Every time we went to visit my ex's grandfather, he was always happy to see us. I found out later that he kept a card on his nightstand:
"Good morning! Your name is Jim and you have alzheimers. Today you're going to meet all sorts of interesting people and have lots of new adventures. Enjoy your day!!"
But, I digress. I ride whenever I get the urge. I may not know where I am, or how I got there, but, as my granddaughter says, "Just ask your phone. It always knows where you are."

· Read Only
16 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I'm 62 and riding again after 6-7 years of "cage life".

I've been concerned with cognitive decline as I grow older and memory becomes an issue, and not as alert as I once was.

Been heavy on the caffeine, a real blessing, and every supplement available on Amazon.

Seems riding again has been a help, as I'm forced to focus 100% if I want to survive the dangerous Tucson roads and byways. I can no longer relax behind the wheel in complacency and let my mind wander to other things. Head on a swivel. Where are my feet? Hands covering brake and clutch. Downshift now. Feet up. Feet down. Pistol secured. Turn signal cancelled. Oil slicks avoided. Kickstand up. Kickstand down. AND Don't drop the ****ing thing.

All things I haven't had to think about for years. It helps clear the fog and jump starting my brain.

What say you?
I am 77 and absolutely agree about focus 100% of the time, and Don't drop the ****ing thing.

· Registered
2022 Shadow Aero Ron Jeremy Edition
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Age? CognitiveDecline?, PhysicalDegeneration? - It Aint the Age, its the LifeStyle, Just dont Let it Happen...
At 73 am still hittin on all cylinders! Most probablly cause the mid-life crisis(bout 40) when your 30lbs overweight, eggshaped, fatbellied outShape and look around at most older than you and see It only gets worse - if ya Dont Change your Ways. I was fallin apart from workin at a desk(systems & programming), indoors, no windows & liftin nothin heaver the a pencil. I was liferally fallin apart an not even a faint shadow of the healthy, cornfield county farm boy i used to be. A return to the GreatOutdoors and a disciplined exercise plan turned that around - I just aint going easily into that eodalife goodnight!
View attachment 300243
Date's included in snip, < 2yrs ago, and I aint changed much, no bread or alcohol thru the week(exceptionsof course), basic freeweight 10 BigMuscleBasic routine, do physical Work and gettin outside in the GreatOutdoor every chance I get!
Hey, I got a goal, am gonna stay in shape and try to wear ma Shadow out!
(Oh yea, exercise hurts but it absolutely has its benefits for both mind and body)
You know the sayin/advice: Life aint easy - Stay Strong and keep Breathin as Long as Possible!
Tomorrow's more important than Yesterday - Always Forward ->>>
"At 73 am still hittin on all cylinders! "

Well, its only 2 cylinders, so....

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Remember that arm drop guy TV show? Hundreds of cars show up, down to the top 16 qualifiers. Usually they were old farts winning the show. That's a lot of concentration if you ever dragged race, and all that happens in just a few minutes of staging to the end crossing the lights. Some guy at another site is in his 80's and is still drag racing bikes.
You're all a bunch of youngies.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
I just set up an old guy (72 years old) with a race car. Granted, it's in a lower class, but he was psyched and happy. Most difficult aspect for him was crawling through the door to get into the seat. Gonna have to look at a couple of options to make that an easier task,

· Registered
114 Posts
I'm 67 and still ride. Yes, our health and mental well being are to be strongly considered, however, just as important and scary is the erosion of driving ethics by the idiots out there!! As if we don't have enough to worry about. 😨
Rules of the road have become optional, unfortunately!

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,183 Posts
Riding seniors with cognitive decline on a motorcycle can ride better than younger people in a car on a cell phone.
I drive a lot of bigger commercial trucks for the school district and they take off slow. It's bad that I beat about 3/4 of the cars out from under the light on take off. It takes the average driver from 4-12 seconds to realize the light is green and start to move.

· Registered
917 Posts
I`m closing in on 70 and I ride a bicycle almost everyday. Even in Wisconsin winters. (when the roads are clear enough)
I really think riding my bicycle helps with my balance and overall outlook.
This past Monday I got on my bicycle at 4:00AM. I hate the heat and do not tolerate it very well. So I road down to Lake Michigan before the sunrise. I watched the sun come up, then rode along the lake through various parks that hug the shoreline. Turned out to be a 25-30 mile day.

When I`m on my motorcycle I find myself avoiding the interstate.
I stick to country roads, early in the morning, less heat and less traffic.
'
Sky Atmosphere Building Skyscraper Water

'
Bicycle Sky Land vehicle Water Tire

'
Water Boat Sky Atmosphere Afterglow

'
Bicycle Water Tire Sky Wheel

· Registered
2009 Aero 750
128 Posts
I'm 65 and got back into riding last summer. I now consider my bike some of the best "medicine" one could take. Besides the "wind therapy", it demands my total concentration which keeps my mind sharp. It's better than any kind of puzzle therapy one could do. I plan to keep riding until I prove to be an unsafe motorcyclist. But I plan to be in the ground before that happens! :)

Reactions: kesanders

· Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,837 Posts
To address cognitive decline (or at least mask it):

I have 40 pairs of matching white crew socks from Walmart. No mismatch possible
I have 6 dark blue matching blazers that will pair with anything.
I keep a log of the motorcycle maintenance dates and the date/mileage performed.
I only date/marry women named Barbara. No change of murmuring the wrong name.
I have a smartphone photo folder of all the basic food brands we eat so easy shopping.
If I have a friend, his name better by Jim, or Bob, or Jim-Bob.

However, Friday July 1st was Canada day that is a national holiday but I wondered why so much traffic in the daytime.
Not sure if this is a repost though. Rode 540 miles yesterday.

· Registered
917 Posts
I'm 64, and even though I am very active, I race mountain bikes, run ultra marathons and climb mountains, the last couple years I have seen a decline in my cognitive abilities. Its going down hill faster as I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in November 2021. I am hoping to have another 5 years before it all goes to hell.
'
Thoughts and prayer go to you.

I heard that cycling is good therapy for Parkinson`s.

· Registered
765 Posts
Personally, I'd give up my pistol before my motorcycle, but that's just me.

I also say, it's better to HAVE an accident than to CAUSE an accident. On that note, a motorcycle seems less hazardous to others than a car, but a bicycle is even better and has health benefits besides.

I'm in good health, in my early 60s, and expect to continue riding two-wheelers for decades to come. As I get less capable, I will switch to lighter machines and ride roadways with lighter traffic. I anticipate that eventually this will be an electric bicycle, or light E-moto. Retirement will let me choose my riding hours, rather than being pushed into rush hour commuting traffic. In the meanwhile, I expect the local riding environment to continue to change, to make it safer and easier to ride lighter machines, .. even the bicycles.

I could always move to the Netherlands where any car on bike accident is, by law, automatically the fault of the auto. This has created the lowest bike fatality rate in the world, in a place where ridership per capita is among the highest.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,660 Posts
Personally, I'd give up my pistol before my motorcycle, but that's just me.

I don’t plan to give up either!!!

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
248 Posts
I'm 64, and even though I am very active, I race mountain bikes, run ultra marathons and climb mountains, the last couple years I have seen a decline in my cognitive abilities. Its going down hill faster as I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in November 2021. I am hoping to have another 5 years before it all goes to hell.
Hang in there brother.

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
209 Posts
I do Half of my "cager" driving as if I were a zombie. You know, like I'm on autopilot.

Maybe sometimes it's "highway hypnosis" or maybe I'm just daydreaming, but sometimes I'll pass three exits on the highway in the blink of an eye and I wonder where did the last four minutes go.

Sometimes on surface roads, too, I'll blink and there's a traffic light in front of me much closer than it should be! I should've been thinking about that intersection and starting to brake (or cover the brake) long in advance.

I'm new to riding motorcycles on the street, so right now I'm not that relaxed on two wheels, but I hope I never get to be that complacent, that inattentive, or that bored....

41 - 60 of 111 Posts